Home Cigar 101

How to snuff out a cigar?

TheShaunTheShaun Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 425
I've recently read a few posts here where the poster has mentioned not finishing a smoke and then coming back to it at another time. How do you put a smoke out without ruining it?

Comments

• GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    Personally, I dont think you can. However, I hear you can either let it go out on its own or cut the cherry off.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 187
    I would just let it go out.
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 356
    When my dad would smoke a cigar (once every few years), he'd just let it die out and relight it the next day. A toro would last him a week.

Of course, I would never try that.

I've heard of people cutting the cigar past the ash and coming back to it, but I doubt it would be as good as the first time.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    You just let it burn out on it's own. However, it will be pretty stale once you relight. If it's a few minutes, it's not so bad, but the longer you wait, the worse it is. I've never heard of cutting the ash off, but you can blow through it to get some of the old, burned tobacco out of there. It makes it a little more pleasant.
  • rad1964rad1964 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 189
    I just let it go out on its own. I try to by the shorter sizes, while I am finding my tastes, however you can understand that some of these great package deals and samplers makes you buy things that you wouldn't normally buy, especially size-wise.

With that being said, I actually smoked a nub last night without a relite for an hour. I couldv'e made it another half hour but I was dizzy and already had eaten.

Nicotine is drug and I just can't handle this one yet.

• plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 187
    rad1964:
    I just let it go out on its own. I try to by the shorter sizes, while I am finding my tastes, however you can understand that some of these great package deals and samplers makes you buy things that you wouldn't normally buy, especially size-wise.

With that being said, I actually smoked a nub last night without a relite for an hour. I couldv'e made it another half hour but I was dizzy and already had eaten.

With some of the insane deals I've seen, I have also bought sizes I normaly would not buy.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I often don't finish my last cigar of the day. I let it go out and finish it in the morning. I usually like the last half the most, and to start out a day with that last half is great start to the day, imo.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Cigar Savor makes a metal tube that you put your lit cigar in and it goes out quickly due to lack of oxygen. This is supposed to make it light better and less bitter the next time.

I would imagine you could do the same thing with an empty tubo.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 404
    Matt Marvel:
    You just let it burn out on it's own. However, it will be pretty stale once you relight. If it's a few minutes, it's not so bad, but the longer you wait, the worse it is. I've never heard of cutting the ash off, but you can blow through it to get some of the old, burned tobacco out of there. It makes it a little more pleasant.
    I usually smoke one in the morning and when I get to work, I cut the cherry off about 1/2" past the ash line and blow out a couple times to evacuate the trapped smoke. It takes the majority of the bitterness away. I doubt this method would last much more than a work day though.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    I've never tried coming back to a cigar a day later or anything like that. If anyone does it and has a pleasant expierence let me know. Its something I'd be willing to try on a bigger cigar.
  • Joey PetersenJoey Petersen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 45
    rad1964:

Hey I know your pain exactly! I found a solution though, and its allowing me to get my tolerance up/being able to nub a cigar without vomiting on my shoes, haha. Go to the store and buy some sugar cubes. I bought a small box of 125 for like $3.00. And what you do is as soon as you start feeling anything at all, place it under your tongue and let it dissolve. Then continue to smoke. Repeat as needed. I first had to do 3, then 2, and now depending on the cigar its 0-2. It really does help. Also drink lots of water when puffing. The water not only helps cleanse the palate but hydrates you so you don't get so dizzy. Its worked for me, so might as well give it a shot!
    Well, I do drink plenty of water. Probably more then most :) But I can't really use your sugar cube method as I am diabetic, and it would just make me dizzier!

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Once I let my cigar go out, I never go back and relight it. One reason is, it would taste like ***, another reason only time I let it go out if it's not down to the nub is because it sucks and I wouldn't want to relight it anyways.
    Once I let my cigar go out, I never go back and relight it. One reason is, it would taste like ***, another reason only time I let it go out if it's not down to the nub is because it sucks and I wouldn't want to relight it anyways.
    I understand that. However in my newbie defense (if there is such a thing) I had graycliff 1666 in a very dewy part of town (Daly City, CA) where it was not raining, but felt like it due to the humidity the proximity to the ocean. Good chat with a non-cigar smoker and high amount of moisture in the air mad e it go out. So I took a break. Upon relite it tasted the same. I did not finish it. Upon third relite it tasted like *(%$^% so I do know it can be crappy.

• Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    The only time I relight is if I've set my cigar down because I end up having to do something. Usually I come back in about ten minutes or so and it's gone out. I have re-lit after having one sit over night a couple of times. For instance, a buddy of mine was over and we were enjoying a couple of sticks, and he had to leave half way through his cigar, and he left it. The next day, I lit it up, because I couldn't stand to see half a cigar go to waste.
  • Joey PetersenJoey Petersen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 45
    rad1964:
    I understand that. However in my newbie defense (if there is such a thing) I had graycliff 1666 in a very dewy part of town (Daly City, CA) where it was not raining, but felt like it due to the humidity the proximity to the ocean. Good chat with a non-cigar smoker and high amount of moisture in the air mad e it go out. So I took a break. Upon relite it tasted the same. I did not finish it. Upon third relite it tasted like *(%$^% so I do know it can be crappy.

Of course its gonna go out when your in Daly, I live 10 minutes from Daly, so I know exactly what you mean by dewy! :)
  • deaDKennedysdeaDKennedys Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 31
    vankleekkw:
    Matt Marvel:
    I usually smoke one in the morning and when I get to work, I cut the cherry off about 1/2" past the ash line and blow out a couple times to evacuate the trapped smoke. It takes the majority of the bitterness away. I doubt this method would last much more than a work day though.
    I do the same thing when I start one up and still have over half the stick left and need to go into a building. Well I only do that when I know I'm going to re-light within 30mins or less though.
  • sol1821sol1821 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 706
    i usually cut off the burnt bit at the top with a cutter then blow through the cigar to get rid of any smoke to limit the build up of *** in the left over bit. its never as nice when i re lite it but usually smoke-able.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I cut the end off blow the ash out and stick it in a tube i got with some over priced crap stick... it's going to be a little harsh on relight but that lasts for like 3 puffs....
  • Cole54Cole54 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 18
    I've had to cut them a couple of times when I was smoking and went back to them a day later and it was still fine, like someone else said, a little harsh at first but it goes away quickly.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Cole54:
    I've had to cut them a couple of times when I was smoking and went back to them a day later and it was still fine, like someone else said, a little harsh at first but it goes away quickly.
    if you go back to them a day later, where do you keep them from drying out? A half smoked cigar is not something I am willing to put in my humi.
  • TheShaunTheShaun Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 425
    Krieg:
    Cole54:
    if you go back to them a day later, where do you keep them from drying out? A half smoked cigar is not something I am willing to put in my humi.
    I suppose you could toss it in an empty tube, or a zip bag.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    If I know, or suspect, that I may not get to finish a stick, I'll usually carry a tube with me to drop it into when necessary. Just drop it in and screw the cap back on. It'll go out right away and when you're ready to re-light it, just scrape off the char and light up. Of course, some sticks are too big or fat to fit in some tubes.

Marty

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I can't remember going back the next day to relight a dead cigar. I will cut past the ash line and put it in a ziplock bag and chomp on it the next day, but not re-light it. Odd? That's just me.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I just let my cigars go out themselves. I tend to not smoke unless I know I have the time to finish it and relax. Never tried relighting one later but my father-in-law does it all the time. He never complains about them the 2nd or 3rd time around.
  • Cole54Cole54 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 18

I won't put them back in either.... I put them in a baggy usually and throw a packet in with it....

I only have done this twice.... one because I got a call from an old girlfriend that wanted to see me really bad :) and another time I had an appointment I forgot about and realized it after I was already smoking.

Usually I smoke at night so I am good.