Home General Discussion

Organization?

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
Well this has been happening a lot recently...I go into a cooler for a certain stick and I can't find the dang thing for about 30min of going through stuff. I've figured I do need a better idea of where things are! Anyone have any thoughts that might help? How do you find your stuff?

Comments

• jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    I have a system where (hypothetically), all cc boxes are in my cabinet humi. all nc boxes are in my cooler. 300 count humi is singles (ie smoking stash) and 150 count humi is singles (ie smoking stash). If multiple humi's are not your thing or a bit too pricey, you can even put your singles in tupperwares. even zip loc bags.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Alphabetical....wrapper type....price.....blender.....
    Lots of options, IMO the problem is "sticking with it" after the first few weeks.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    I say just toss em all in there.... your more likely to run into problem childs or happen to run accross something you may want to smoke. if you have to pull-em all out to find one, atleast you may catch the tinyest spot of mold or dust from beetles before its too late. When there nice and organized you tend to pass over others just because you know where the one your looking for is. Just my .02$

Aj
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    dr_frankenstein56:
    I say just toss em all in there.... your more likely to run into problem childs or happen to run accross something you may want to smoke. if you have to pull-em all out to find one, atleast you may catch the tinyest spot of mold or dust from beetles before its too late. When there nice and organized you tend to pass over others just because you know where the one your looking for is. Just my .02$

Aj
    That's a good point. I wouldn't have caught my last beetle outbreak if I hadn't been rumaging around. Only one stick was lost.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    jliu:
    I have a system where (hypothetically), all cc boxes are in my cabinet humi. all nc boxes are in my cooler. 300 count humi is singles (ie smoking stash) and 150 count humi is singles (ie smoking stash). If multiple humi's are not your thing or a bit too pricey, you can even put your singles in tupperwares. even zip loc bags.
    i kinda have a system like that but my randome singles are the ones driving me insane! Stuff like opus,padrons and viaje I have no trouble finding it's always that one dang stick you say I want that today and can't find it forever
    dr_frankenstein56:

Aj
    very valid point! I guess it does make sense but it still drive me nuts!!
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jliu:
    i kinda have a system like that but my randome singles are the ones driving me insane! Stuff like opus,padrons and viaje I have no trouble finding it's always that one dang stick you say I want that today and can't find it forever
    what was it that you were trying to find?
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jliu:
    When I had my "20 count" I had plastic baskets I picked up for 99 cents a piece to use. They would hold about 40 cigars "from what I heard" and I organized it by macra. I'm sure there are pictures somewhere on the forum. I have some that I ain't using so for the cost of shipping they are all yours if you want them; I think I have 4 to 6 of them.
    bandyt09:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jliu:
    When I had my "20 count" I had plastic baskets I picked up for 99 cents a piece to use. They would hold about 40 cigars "from what I heard" and I organized it by macra. I'm sure there are pictures somewhere on the forum. I have some that I ain't using so for the cost of shipping they are all yours if you want them; I think I have 4 to 6 of them.
    todd!! Nice to see you around these parts!! Thank you for the offer but I'm ok... I use old boxes but from random bombs and trades the singles kill me! But yeah I've seen that 20ct somewhere on here
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    Lee.mcglynn:
    dr_frankenstein56:

Aj
    very valid point! I guess it does make sense but it still drive me nuts!!
    I agree... it does drive me bonkers as well.... my only level of organization are just wrapper types, one jar of maduro, one of connies... etc etc etc... but for the most part i keep them all together. Also im like a huge kid playing with legos when i bust out the jar i want to smoke from... dump em all out and give them a nice looking too, while smelling and dreaming of the fine smoke that it may later be. Ironically... I find myself "playing" with my cigars more then i actually find time to smoke them.

dreams wafting through the air....

Aj
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    ummm.....yeah, i don't have that issue yet, but I organize my 200ct by brand and then price. So all my MOW are in the 3rd drawer in the 200, but my padrons, anejo, and any other high priced stick are in the top drawer.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,520
    Generally the amount of time I have is a major factor in what cigar I choose, so I have mine organized by vitola. That is after I have them split into sticks with cello or without.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    pelirrojo:
    Generally the amount of time I have is a major factor in what cigar I choose, so I have mine organized by vitola. That is after I have them split into sticks with cello or without.
    I tend to keep maduro separate from everything else. But that varies depending on the space I have. So it's more of a force thing. One side is the light side, the other is the dark.

Vitola is sort of done naturally; longer sticks can only fit one way in my tupperware, but they leave room at the end for short sticks to go the other way.

However, I don't have nearly the amount of sticks most of you are talking about so it tends to be easy to organize.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    I have a 5 Vegas humidor (Sprint) and when I got it I was surprised at how big it really is. Of course all the 5 Vegas cigars go in it, plus anything I am going to age.

I have a much smaller humidor ($17 on eBay) and my Leoninos go in it.

The middle sized humidor was a gift and is a 100 size, and everything else goes into it Not hard keeping track of what is in it since there is only 1 and a 1/2 layers. I am sure as the years pass I will need even more storage and will probably beg Walt or someone else here for the plans they used to build their custom cabinets. When that happens, I am sure some sort of alphabetical system will have to be used. I can also see that a cooler makes a great deal of sense for a rarely opened, in the closet storage for what I intend to age. There are so many people here that have so many good ideas......
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    I have my small cigars in one drawer, my havnt tried but want to sometime in one, my familiars in one and then top shelf stuff in the top drawer, boxes top and bottom shelves
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    Maybe its just me, and maybe (probably) I just don't really know whats what as well as most of ya'll. I just plain put the longer sticks on the bottom, short stubbys up top. Any w/o cello go on the top shelf.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Man I wish I could be OCD about it but it never lasts
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 585
    Gifts trades and then purchased. If I bought them they go to the purchased area.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    In the cooler, I keep some boxes on the bottom and then have singles in those 5 finger bags with the ziploc part cut off to allow for air flow. This is nice since it protects cigars (especially those without cello) and allows for some organization of similar cigars in each bag. It also makes it easy to see what is in each bag and I can flip through them rather quickly. It's not a perfect system, but I hated digging through boxes looking for cigars.
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    Bigshizza:
    Man I wish I could be OCD about it but it never lasts
    I'm a "touch" OCD with impulse control issues so I come up with a "brilliant" organizational system about once a week. Right now it is by wrapper and size for most of my modest stock except for a dozen or so sticks that I am saving for something...come to think of it there is no order to that section...be right back...