Home General Discussion

"Beef" with Cohiba

VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
So I know MANY of us here bash Gurkha, several bash Rocky Patel, and to a lesser degree every company gets a little bum rap. Why, I now ask, do we never mention Cohiba? Perhaps I am in the minority here but they are some of the most overpriced sticks for what you get out there. Davidoff is overpriced, but they have their own uniqueness I feel. Same can be said for Greycliff. Cohiba however....certainly the non-Cuban variety, has never seemed unique or tasted much better than a stick that costs half of what you have to pay. There is my rant....thoughts?

Signed, Vulchor as he contemplates while smoking a Cohiba Puro Dominicana Toro

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    I totally agree about the Puro Dominicana. I think I'm being nice when I say its tastes Meh.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Red Dots? I had a few a few years ago and they were great. But twice lately I've had construction malfunctions that totally prevented any enjoyment. In fact it ruined my mellow mood. I'll try them if gifted but I won't be buying.
  • variant2variant2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 351
    I had my first red dot a week ago and have to admit that I really enjoyed it. No construction/burn issues. Price was acceptable (about $4.50) since I got it in a sampler and had it rest for 2 months.

• scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    I have had all but the Red Dot and limited editions and I agree. the Black and XV are a joke in my opinion. The Puro Dominicana is ok, but not for the price. How I have never had a red dot and have 5 in my humi is beyond me now that I think about it..
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Wow, I loved the one XV that I had. It is on my list of what to get more of. Can't remember where it came from, but I know they are 15$ at the local shop. Not sure I'd pay that for it, but I remember really enjoying it!
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    mmccartneydc:
    Wow, I loved the one XV that I had. It is on my list of what to get more of. Can't remember where it came from, but I know they are 15$ at the local shop. Not sure I'd pay that for it, but I remember really enjoying it!
    yeah, i like the XVs....probably one of my favs to be honest, but won't pay $15 for them. i look for them in samplers.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    I like the XV's as well but the rest of the line they can have...it's just a piggyback from the Cuban Branding that tends to give them credibility. While I've smoked enough of the domestic line they aren't any better than a $4 cigar IMO.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    I will take all the puro dominicanas you want to send me......

I must be a little odd
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    firetruckguy:
    I will take all the puro dominicanas you want to send me......

I must be a little odd
    they need age.
  • blutattooblutattoo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    I smoked one of the blacks the other day and it's about the third or fourth I've had of that series. I can remember thinking how much I enjoyed them and that they've been very consistent. I enjoy the red dots as well. I guess YMMV rules apply. I have had the same issues with Fuente stuff that everyone raves about (poor construction, inconsistent flavor from the same box, over priced, etc.). I just figure I've got bad luck with them. I agree though the price is too high. I suppose the name counts for half the price of the stick.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    I didn't like the PD at all, the black was fine but didn't like it enough to search out more (frankly I think the Partagas black is better) and haven't tried the red dots sitting in my humi. The construction on both were excellent though.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,423
    Not really a fan, I liked the black much better than the red, haven't tried the others yet. This is one of those brand's/blends that I have never intentionally bought and yet still accumulates in my humi.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    No different then any of the other Cuban piggybacks... They all have inflated MSRP's and people pay out the whazzo for them. I cannot blame them, because consumers will. That being said, the black red dot is pretty damn good. I love the monte white too, only when it is cheap ;)
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I've never been a fan either. Though I've only had the Red Dit and the Puro so I can't be a judge for the rest. I've still got 3 or 4 that are a couple years old that are taking up space maybe it's time for a bomb when I get home.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    catfishbluezz:
    No different then any of the other Cuban piggybacks... They all have inflated MSRP's and people pay out the whazzo for them. I cannot blame them, because consumers will. That being said, the black red dot is pretty damn good. I love the monte white too, only when it is cheap ;)
    totally agree!! If you get them on bargain it's worth it but I'd never pay full price! I really just shy away from non Cubans with a cuban name
  • danielruasdanielruas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 778
    I'm a pretty big fan but I don't remember ever actually buying one.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    While i do agree that Cohiba are a bit over priced (which is due to everyone knowing that brand even people that don't smoke cigars) they are very good smokes to me. I love each blend and never had an issue with any cigar that i have had of theirs.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Vulchor:
    So I know MANY of us here bash Gurkha, several bash Rocky Patel, and to a lesser degree every company gets a little bum rap. Why, I now ask, do we never mention Cohiba? Perhaps I am in the minority here but they are some of the most overpriced sticks for what you get out there.
    i dont mention it because i feel they are in a different group than Gurkha and RP. many bash those two because they claim to be exclusive, high end, boutique or a litany of other supposedly impressive adjectives, but when you smoke one of them there is seemingly always disappointment on every level with every one of their thousands of blends/cigars they put out.

the Dominican Cohiba doesnt have 150 new blends every month. they dont claim to be a boutique brand. and most importantly, they dont have as many issues in burn, draw, construction, etc.
    Gurkha has treated me poorly. RP has treated me poorly. Cohiba, though nothing special in my mind, has not been so bad to me.

they arent awful cigars. they just arent great.
    being over priced isnt really a reason to bash a cigar, just a reason not to buy it.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    kuzi16:
    Vulchor:
    So I know MANY of us here bash Gurkha, several bash Rocky Patel, and to a lesser degree every company gets a little bum rap. Why, I now ask, do we never mention Cohiba? Perhaps I am in the minority here but they are some of the most overpriced sticks for what you get out there.
    i dont mention it because i feel they are in a different group than Gurkha and RP. many bash those two because they claim to be exclusive, high end, boutique or a litany of other supposedly impressive adjectives, but when you smoke one of them there is seemingly always disappointment on every level with every one of their thousands of blends/cigars they put out.

the Dominican Cohiba doesnt have 150 new blends every month. they dont claim to be a boutique brand. and most importantly, they dont have as many issues in burn, draw, construction, etc.
    Gurkha has treated me poorly. RP has treated me poorly. Cohiba, though nothing special in my mind, has not been so bad to me.

being over priced isnt really a reason to bash a cigar, just a reason not to buy it.
    This. I'll gladly smoke one if handed to me or as part of a sampler or freebie. Of course, I could say the same about Gurkha, but I might not buy the sampler that includes too many of those. I think the problem with Gurkha really is the marketing strategy accompanied by an overwhelming array of cigars, like Kuzi said. Overpriced, but always at a tremendous discount. It's like these emails I get from Old Navy. Every day is 30% off. Well, why not just make your prices that in the first place and stop with the spam? I know a lot of cigars do that, but Gurkha is obnoxious about it.
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    kuzi16:
    Vulchor:

I think being overpriced for what you purchase or are selling a a reason to bash anything.....that said, I dont thinlk theyd be a good stick at half the price. They are the definition of average, hell I can buy a Torano for 4 bucks and get just as consistent of a stick, if not better.
  • Retircs1Retircs1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 444
    Good Q? the first time I posted on this forum those who responded were not to carrying about Gurha, but I guess it comes down to what you like to smoke even if those who are cigar enthusiast and pro's don't like your sticks. I smoke Gurha and rocky P. often. And will continue to do so.
  • J.S.J.S. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 751
    Yes, they are overpriced. But I do like small rings and short sticks to fill in the gaps and during the cold. Cohiba Black in the pequenos size is great. 30 for under $53. is not too bad to me. I usually buy a brick a couple of times a year.
  • prosspross Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    I enjoy the blacks and can usually pick them up cheap on the sprint sale.

• VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    The blacks are the best. On a side note to Kuzi....and the others here for that matter....we all agree GENERALLY about the RP and Gurkha issues........HOWEVER, I must say the RP Royale and Gurkha Cellar Reserve have both impressed me alot this year. Now for their other 624 releases, well.