Home General Discussion

Are all glass faced boxes of CCs Fake?

Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
I saw a small box of Cuban (maybe) cigars on a shelf at my uncles house. They were just a display item to him as he explained they were a gift and he doesn't smoke and assured me the cigars were old and dried out. They were still sealed up but as far as I could tell they had all the stamps and labels that seemed to look OK. They were most likely Montecristo #7. Six or seven inches long and a very small ring gauge. I have read online that these were discontinued in '98 but I could not come up with a picture of any of these packed in a glass faced box. There were approximately ten cigars in a narrow tall box with a glass face. I've heard of some fakes with glass front boxes. I wish I'd taken a picture but I didn't feel comfortable scrutinizing his cigars even though he knew they were no longer smokeable and I didn't mention to him the possibility of them being fakes. Do any of you have any insight into the legitimacy of this type of packaging?

Sorry, no pics but I found this picture of similar glass front boxes from the internet.

photo ask4_zps33d11c37.jpg

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Yeah, they are pretty much poo poo sticks. Very common with those 5ers.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    danielzreyes:
    Yeah, they are pretty much poo poo sticks. Very common with those 5ers.
    +1 if it's not at least a ten pack and has glass no deal
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    Just for display? Now that's just sad....
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Somebody gifted it to him as a souvenir more for the novelty than for smoking. But yeah, I would have wanted to smoke them too,....... even if they were fake. Give 'em a try anyway.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Bob, if you spend a little time wandering around the website the link below takes you to, you'll learn a jillion ways to spot the fakes:

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com

Sorry, I don't know how to make the link clickable..... :-/)
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Unless things have changed in the last 4 years or so, Habanos has never put out any type of glass type box/sampler.....every one you see would be fake.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    Bob Luken:
    Somebody gifted it to him as a souvenir more for the novelty than for smoking. But yeah, I would have wanted to smoke them too,....... even if they were fake. Give 'em a try anyway.
    Bob, you really wouldn't want to smoke out of the glass top boxes. I have seen alot of stuff rolled into those cigars and most of it ISN'T tobacco. You have banana leaves, paper, tobacco stems, dried rodent droppings and anything else they think they can hide in there.
    jlmarta:
    Bob, if you spend a little time wandering around the website the link below takes you to, you'll learn a jillion ways to spot the fakes:

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com

Sorry, I don't know how to make the link clickable..... :-/)
    Thanks. I was just there. It may have been on another thread where you also posted that link. Very helpful. Thanks :)

Rat droppings? Yikes! OK I'll stay clear.
    Vulchor:
    Unless things have changed in the last 4 years or so, Habanos has never put out any type of glass type box/sampler.....every one you see would be fake.

This particular box may have been very old but I didn't get a lot of details about it. I just had a strong suspicion that they were fake. And since they were a gift to him from somebody else I didn't want to seem like I was looking the proverbial gift horse in the mouth.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    The reason this cigar is so counterfeited is because of the branding popularity and the quality. Glass cases along with some other ridiculous ways to present this cigar is what you will find outside the US esp. in ports of call in those Caribbean islands. There are a lot of links to help educated us in being able to discern a fake from a real one and each year the black market gets a little better at being able to make copies..esp. the cigar bands and that is what takes more work because buying them by the box makes it too hard to copy every little thing...cigar bands can be copied with software programs that make it a bit more challenging and easier to pawn off on those who really don't know the difference.