Home General Discussion

Beetles!........ again!

Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
So I've got this old beat up 50 count humi that I got at a junk store. My first real humi. I keep various sticks in there. The only common denominator is that none of these have been through my beetle prevention freezing regimen. So I was looking for a stick to smoke on this mild weather evening and I was digging around and Damn! I see sure signs of trouble.

There's this one cigar I got from a ccom brother that has cello except the foot is open. I don't know if it came that way or the previous owner cut it back at the foot. Anyhoo,.....all near the foot it's been eaten on. That stick has been in there half a year or more and I've checked them pretty regularly too. It hasn't even been very warm where I keep this humi. Next I tap the foot and dark dust comes out in good quantity. I start examining all the other sticks. All of which had cello except one. All look fine. (I'm smoking the only non-celloed stick as I type. It seems fine,...... so far.) There's just a little bit of dust in the bottom of the humi and I vacuumed that out and put all the sticks back in. I'm contemplating a freeze job for all these other sticks in that humi but it seems it was isolated to just the one stick so for now I'm not sure I will do that because I want to smoke a bunch of these soon.

One larva crawled right out to greet me. He was the first to die. I cut the cigar open out of curiosity and found four more. It's possible there were more but I was pretty thorough. Did ya' know that sometimes when you squish them they have this dark tobacco colored juice inside. Makes sense.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my hour and a half worth of misery with ya'. Hope it doesn't give you bad dreams. May this never happen to you. Word of advice – Check your sticks often.

Here's some pics if you're not too squeamish.

Sorry the pics aren't in good focus.

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    Might want to inform who you traded with....
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Man that sucks!! Freeze On! I think I'd burn that 20 ct. Dispell the bad juju.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 430
    yuck!… Burn The Witch!!!!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    MVW67:
    +1
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    MVW67:
    Glad you mentioned this. I was thinking the same thing. Although I don't hold him at any fault whatsoever and there's no absolute proof the bugs came from him, but if I were him I'd want to know.

But on the other hand, I sure don't want him to feel like he has to "make it right". I take full responsibility. I'm the one who let my temps get high enough without taking the extra measure of freezing. I hadn't really kept close track of the temps in the man cave but I checked this morning in that room and it's 72 degrees. Just warm enough.

I feel lucky in a way. Just like last time, I've apparently caught it pretty early. There's no noticeable damage except that one stick and I've been through this before so it doesn't seem like such a big deal this time. But I guess I should shoot him a PM. Right?
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    Bob Luken:
    MVW67:
    Glad you mentioned this. I was thinking the same thing. Although I don't hold him at any fault whatsoever and there's no absolute proof the bugs came from him, but if I were him I'd want to know.

But on the other hand, I sure don't want him to feel like he has to "make it right". I take full responsibility. I'm the one who let my temps get high enough without taking the extra measure of freezing. I hadn't really kept close track of the temps in the man cave but I checked this morning in that room and it's 72 degrees. Just warm enough.

I feel lucky in a way. Just like last time, I've apparently caught it pretty early and there's no noticeable damage except that one stick. I've been through this before so it doesn't seem like such a big deal this time. But I guess I should shoot him a PM. Right?
    Just let him know, and tell him the situation.:-)
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    Agreed....might be a good heads up.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Freeze everything including the humi! From experience!!
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    half a year? and now they decide to show up? thats a bummer man, had your room been regularly at 72* or did it just spike for the last few days or so?

Aj
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    I have a feeling this is going to make me dig through my humi now
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    dr_frankenstein56:
    half a year? and now they decide to show up? thats a bummer man, had your room been regularly at 72* or did it just spike for the last few days or so?

Aj
    Usually colder down there than elsewhere in the house because it's lower but I don't really know. I don't normally keep tabs on it but I believe it's usually below 70 down there,....but we've had a warm spell here lately and also had the heater decided go out around Thanksgiving and it actually got colder down there. It was in the 50s. Maybe the rise from the 50s to 72 triggered them to hatch.
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    I would certainly isolate them from everything else obviously...and perhaps burn through them asap. Since it is obvious that they have been exposed, certainly isnt worth it to risk not freezing or burning them. imho
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    I thought this was about another British invasion.
    Sorry bro.