Home General Discussion

Good source for Spanish Cedar

WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
Thought I'd share this. AJ and I were talking about where to buy cedar without paying an arm or a leg for it. When building my BFH, I tried from a well known source on Amazon, and from this guy here: http://www.dndhardwoodsonline.com which turned out for me to be hundreds of dollars cheaper, and the wood was actually better than the more expensive ones. It's a family run business, and the guy works very well with you. I had messed up an order, immediately called over a weekend, got his wife, she put me on the phone with him, and he corrected my order on the spot and refunded the difference - even though I told him not to worry about it because the correction was my own fault.

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Thank you, good information.
    I have been doodling humidors and that was the first question that crossed my mind. The second was, who do I know that can cut straight lines..?
    First one is answered.
    And, it turns out there are a bunch of fine carpenters in these parts. And people here are willing to barter and trade.
    One thing I have learned in my ** years on this earth is never get help from a family member unless you are helping another family member move.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    I think this is the same outfit I've seen on Ebay....the 1/16 inch cut is my favorite as I use it in all of my humidors and I have about 35 of them....that aroma is second to none and gives my cigars that little touch of cedar that I enjoy....the transfer takes about a month or so but really kicks in after a year.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Wow, that's expensive. I'm happy you are happy, that's all that matters really. $47.40 for 10 square feet at 1/16" thick translates into $75.84 per board foot. That's insane, in my opinion.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,423
    I've been paying $4.88 per board foot at the local lumber yard for kiln dried 6/4 boards that I can mill to whatever size/thickness I need. If you buy from WC, Rock or a similar retailer you pay a super-premium sometimes as much as an 800% markup! They are not a lumber yard they offer small amounts of lumber as a convenience IF you're willing to pay for it. I LOVE these stores for what they specialize in.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    perfect! this is exactly what i needed to see! get my little carpenter to work building my humi! Thank you so much for the info Walt!

A.j.
  • FNAFNA Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 55
    "it turns out there are a bunch of fine carpenters in these parts"

If you want a deck, call a caprenter. You want a humidor, find a cabinet maker.