Home General Discussion

Better with age....

VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
I was going to pop this in the 101 or Review section but this is more of a what cigar surprised you with age on them. I/We know that the UHC is great with age but I picked up a Kinky Friedman Texas Jewboy out of the uncelo'd humi the other day. I picked it up in late 2010, early 2011. I remember being...underwhelmed to say the least. I remember thinking where all the flavor was. Now I know my pallet has become a little better which could explain a little... but.... I was really surprised how well this has aged. I enjoy the flavor of a cigar that had been given the time to marry other flavors.

So... What cigar has pleased you with some age on it that you thought was meh or so so ROTT.

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    VISION SIGHTING!!!!!!!!Oh, as for your question...I dunno.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    i would say that diane lane has gotten better with age......oh wait.....what......OH you mean a cigar that has gotten better with age......well ***, i have only been smoking for 9 months. Never mind
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Nothing in my humi has more than a year, unless it is from a bomb and I don't know the date on it. So I really can't say. Part of me thinks it would be interesting to just stop smoking for a year and maintain the humi...wait, that's CRAZY talk there.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    I know I will take some heat for this one, but lets be nice to the new guy. Looking through the humi, I found a cigar with no brand name, just Ancient Warrior on the yellow label. No idea where it came from or how long it was in there (i assume a couple years). Really good smoke. Looked it up on Google and turns out it was a Gurkha. Not usually a big fan of theirs, but was looking to buy a box. Then I realize that they don't make them anymore. Not saying it was the best cigar I ever had, but a nice surprise and even bigger to find out it was a Gurkha.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    I have no doubt that I will take a great deal of flak for this and hope it doesn't get out of hand, but for me it's Opus X. I really enjoy them fresh but would not pay full MSRP for a fresh one. Set them down for two or more years and at least for my palate they come alive like a totally different blend and cigar. LOVE aged Opus X, fresh is good but aged is magnificent.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    ^^^^^Flak Flak Flak
    Rain:
    ^^^^^Flak Flak Flak
    SEE SEE TOLD YOU SO!!
  • gripnripgripnrip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    I may take some flak on this one as well. Smoked a couple of Padron 64 Anniv. exclusivo's this past week that have a little over two years on them. Both were meh. I have two more with the same age...guess I'll give em a couple more years.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Padilla 1932.. Another Cigar that is no longer available. First one ROTT was okay, One Six months in much better, One with a couple years Fantastic. I have one left. and I gave one away I don't know to whom.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    90+ Irishman:
    I have no doubt that I will take a great deal of flak for this and hope it doesn't get out of hand, but for me it's Opus X. I really enjoy them fresh but would not pay full MSRP for a fresh one. Set them down for two or more years and at least for my palate they come alive like a totally different blend and cigar. LOVE aged Opus X, fresh is good but aged is magnificent.
    agreed. 100%

DPG blue aged is quite nice.

kaspera79:
    Padilla 1932.. Another Cigar that is no longer available. First one ROTT was okay, One Six months in much better, One with a couple years Fantastic. I have one left. and I gave one away I don't know to whom.
    Agreed fully on this one Kas! This is a great cigar and age only makes them grow exponentially!
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,471
    kuzi16:
    90+ Irishman:
    agreed. 100%

I will have to second this - DPG Blue is one of the best NC cigars to age in my opinion. Watch the band turn green......
  • christian1971christian1971 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 392
    Only way i couldage my stogies is if i put in safe at my bank.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    christian1971:
    im the same way, but then again i just started. I am too excited to try the cigars when i get them to age them
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I hope you don't mind Peter but I'm going to use your thread to post a thought I've had in my mind for quite a while now: I haven't noticed many NC cigars at all that do well with age.

Too many of them have too much ligero and ligero doesn't age well. It settles in an amazing way after 6 months to a year of rest. As the nicotine ferments the black pepper blast subsides and the cigar becomes much smoother over all. After that, the journey is over and no additional flavors develop, although your palate isn't assaulted so badly that other flavors are perceptible now.

I've been smoking cigars for quite a while now and I don't see any NCs develop new flavors over the years, rather they become smoother and less strong and harsh as they continue to ferment out the nicotine and strength of ligero but the flavors from day one are still the only flavors present years later.

ISOMs, with their blend based on lower primings, truly transform flavors over the years. As the tannins break down and combine with other organic matter chemicals the cigar creates brand new flavors. The difference between a new Upmann and one five years old is completely inspirational.
  • KevinFittsKevinFitts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 225
    90+ Irishman:
    X2
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    I thought Peter was talking about me :)
    kuzi16:
    90+ Irishman:
    agreed. 100%

I liked unaged OpusX, but felt it needed something. I hope to age some and experience the LOVE kuzi mentions. DPG is one of those cigars by Pepin that has teased me because there's so much I like about it, but something has really upset the flavors every time I smoke one. Maybe whatever it is would go away with age. I might have to just try and "watch the band turn green".
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    LFD DOuble ligero oscuro carajos are great after a ear as well.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    I have no doubt that I will take a great deal of flak for this and hope it doesn't get out of hand, but for me it's Opus X. I really enjoy them fresh but would not pay full MSRP for a fresh one. Set them down for two or more years and at least for my palate they come alive like a totally different blend and cigar. LOVE aged Opus X, fresh is good but aged is magnificent. MoW Special Forces Badge Earned 11/3/2011 Redneck Mafia and THE Daddy Irish BBTW Lancero Lovers of America "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" -- Mahatma Ghandi

Agreed.

It was and is the best cigar I have ever smoked.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    jd50ae:
    90+ Irishman:
    Agreed.

It was and is the best cigar I have ever smoked.
    Fixed it.

was kind of hard for me to follow the other way.

pm to you jd50ae
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    brianetz1:
    i would say that diane lane has gotten better with age......

oh god your not lying..... delicious!

Aj
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,520
    Just about everything AJ but San Lotano Habanos for sure. The Camachos I've had both ROTT and a year later, not that they are bad to begin with. The aged DPG stuff I've had has been excellent, again not bad to begin with. Also, Jenny McCarthy seems to have aged well, just sayin...
  • BombayBombay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,207
    I have several.....Jaime Garica Reserva Especial, DPG Blue, Curivari Torpedo (4000 Series?) after 6 months to a year, Old school Camacho Triple Maddy and havent had the new one, Opus X, and the one san latano habano I have had had about 9 months on it and it was nice as well but havent had them ROTT.
    pelirrojo:
    Just about everything AJ but San Lotano Habanos for sure. The Camachos I've had both ROTT and a year later, not that they are bad to begin with. The aged DPG stuff I've had has been excellent, again not bad to begin with. Also, Jenny McCarthy seems to have aged well, just sayin...

grabbed a couple of these from a clearance bin at the b&m. Might have to bury one...
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    brianetz1:
    christian1971:
    im the same way, but then again i just started. I am too excited to try the cigars when i get them to age them

See young padawan that is why we get picked on for buying way way more cigars than we smoke. Its not sheer stupidity or selfishness, its because if you are taking in way more than you are burning up, eventually your backlog will get a few years of age on it. See nobody ever said I twerent' edumacated!