Home Non Cigar Related

Who Played Dungeons and Dragons?

Comments

• LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    I only have plate standard D&D versions 1-4. I love them all. I have had the same character I've played off and on with for over 12 years. :) we've fallen in love together and mourned together. If he ever dies in a campaign I will probably lose my s**t.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    james40:
    Wow, I played way back from about '84-'88. Played Star Frontiers too, which was badass and the Star Trek version too. I was usually a paladin or bard, sometimes a magician. Have you seen Summoner Geeks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zng5kRle4FA&sns=em
    I still have a boxed copy of star frontiers. I liked that one.

I played 1st and 2nd edition D&D when I was a kid, or AD&D, whatever. Shadowrun, Milleniums End, and few others as well. Fun Stuff. When I got into 40k, and WFB I kinda stopped with the RPGs, haven't played one in 20 years. It was really hard keeping the groups together on a consistent basis.
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    bump. At this moment I am playing some dnd on Roll20 with some friends. Works pretty well.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Tony...I'm about to send you a signed Victor Sinclair box.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    LOL!
    Sorry I couldn't resist.
    I never understood those games.
    I remember kids sitting at a table and having them say they got something or other and do I want to play?
    Naw, that's ok. I'll have to take a raincheck on that.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Its like the pokemon craze a few years ago. Never got into it. Ill just read a book. Lol
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Rain:
    Ken Light:
    jthanatos:
    Rain:
    jthanatos:
    Rain:
    JSaint:
    I would be down to skype dnd! First character was a Half Orc Rogue that was later given a cursed ring of charisma. The ring made me look like a woman of a 20 Charisma but I still had my Orc voice lol! I really like 2nd edition but I have also played 3rd and 4th.
    Oh snap...are we on to something? Rain, JSaint and Jthanatos forming a CCom D&D group? I shudder at the thought.
    Could be fun.
    If Ken is in, we could have 4....who's DM?
    I could run it, but not until January. Maybe do a monthly or bi-weekly thing if we have interest?
    No no, seriously, I have to forget this exists again, I'm about to have a pretty big change in january where I'm not going to have this sort of time on my hands, sorry guys.
    So....you're in?
    Now you see why I'm not in, yeah? ;D
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 525
    Rain:
    Yeah Ken. Pwent FTW!!!

Thibbledorf Pwent ??? LOVE THAT Dwarf !

I played from 78-83 but haven't since, when I played we had to make our own maps and scenarios using schools graph paper we would "borrow", i was so happy the day my older brother bought me my 1st set of dice. have no idea how it is now days, I have heard that you don't have to come up with dungeons/maps anymore, you just buy them ?

Alright guys... This is killing me! I have a friend writing a few quests right now (when it will be done... Probably never.) I need to bring my dwarf out of retirement. He is not having a fun time repairing armor and weapons for other people in Mosstone. He should be the one destroying them instead of repairing them!!!!
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    honorknight7:
    have no idea how it is now days, I have heard that you don't have to come up with dungeons/maps anymore, you just buy them ?
    It is an option to buy or download. Can be useful for one shot adventures, or having a stock of 'random encounters' when players go exploring areas you never thought would be interested in. Making your own or heavily modding someone elses is still the most common method. The big thing this has done is allow DMs to do away with a lot of the number crunching for most encounters. You can more easily gage how much of a challenge your players can take and have a lot less breaks in the flow. It also gives the ability to have much more unique encounters and jumping off points for them.

LiquidChaos66:
    Alright guys... This is killing me! I have a friend writing a few quests right now (when it will be done... Probably never.) I need to bring my dwarf out of retirement. He is not having a fun time repairing armor and weapons for other people in Mosstone. He should be the one destroying them instead of repairing them!!!!
    When my house gets internet, I will update this to see if we have any interest in me running a Maduros and Mind Flayers campaign.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    Half Elf Ranger Cleric. 2nd edition. After that there were so many changes that it make the players seem like super heroes not adventurers.
  • blutattooblutattoo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    honorknight7:
    Rain:
    Yeah Ken. Pwent FTW!!!

Thibbledorf Pwent ??? LOVE THAT Dwarf !

I played from 78-83 but haven't since, when I played we had to make our own maps and scenarios using schools graph paper we would "borrow", i was so happy the day my older brother bought me my 1st set of dice. have no idea how it is now days, I have heard that you don't have to come up with dungeons/maps anymore, you just buy them ?

Totally gave me a flashback with the graph paper, lol! Yep I remember the DM just making up the quests couldn't really afford those pre-made modules.
    http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/happy-40th-birthday-dungeons-dragons-214544046.htmlHappy 40th birthday, Dungeons & Dragons!Dungeons & Dragons, the tabletop game that introduced fantasy role-playing to most of the world, turns the big four-oh this weekend -- and it's showing no signs of slowing down. While D&D is almost a recurring character on some prime time TV shows these days (hat tip to you, producers of "The Big Bang Theory"), it spent years as the calling card of the socially awkward. No matter how fun the game is, toting around bags of polyhedral dice and regularly consulting the Monster Manual for hit-point data was never a way to get in with the cool kids. For fans, though, that never mattered. The journey into the game's imaginative world was a respite from the pressures of the real world, a chance to be the hero and save the day. D&D wasn't the first game to explore role-playing, but it was the first to do so in a non-wargaming setting and the first to break big. Drawing upon the work of authors like J.R.R. Tolkien and H.P Lovecraft, countless mythologies, and their own vivid imaginations, creators Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson launched the groundbreaking game on January 26, 1974, the best date we have for the game’s official birth. The first version of the game -- called OD&D, for original Dungeons & Dragons -- was a small set of three books. It sold just 1,000 copies in 1974, but tripled sales the next year, and they kept climbing. The game hit its stride in the 1980s after the release of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, which, between 1977 and 1979, led to three hardcover rulebooks that became indispensable to fans: the Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Monster Manual. Further revisions came in 1989, 2000, 2003 and 2008. To date, Dungeons & Dragons has generated well over $1 billion and has been played by over 20 million people. And that number's expected to rise this year thanks to the release of a new set of rules for the game -- the first update in six years. The new take, called Tyranny of Dragons, is due this summer and will give players a chance to battle Tiamat, the five-headed queen of the dragons. A constant villain in D&D, Tiamat was also a key character in the memorable Dungeons & Dragons cartoon in the early 80s. D&D's influence on pop-culture has been extensive. It was responsible for seminal video game franchises like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Pool of Radiance, and it influenced countless others, from Ultima to The Elder Scrolls. It was supported by a pair of magazines ("Dungeon" and "Dragon," naturally), and it's produced tens of millions of dollars in sales of dice, miniature characters, and other game tie-ins. Like any new form of entertainment, it had its critics, too. With Satanic-looking demons, illustrations of topless female monsters, and a heavy emphasis on spellcasting, the game was opposed by some Christian groups, who claimed it was leading youth down the wrong path. Much like today's critics of video games, opponents sought to blame the game for many societal problems. Psychologists later stepped in to disprove these theories, but not before Tom Hanks -- yes, THE Tom Hanks -- landed his first major lead role in the so-bad-it’s-good TV movie, “Mazes and Monsters,” in which he plays a geek who can’t separate reality from fantasy. Despite the protests -- and the social stigma some people attached to playing D&D -- the game has continued to draw a huge audience, including celebrity fans like Mike Meyers, Vin Diesel, Stephen Colbert and even Dame Judy Dench. Actor/director Jon Favreau says the game gave him "a really strong background in imagination, storytelling, understanding how to create tone and a sense of balance."
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    My buddies and I were just talking about D&D... I never played, but a couple of them did. It sounds like to run a good game, it really takes some imagination, problem solving, and foresight. Not to mention a really quick DM who can keep up with people trying to break his game, while not killing the imaginative part.
  • EoLEoL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 178
    I am actually trying to get a group going for D&D when I finally have some time.
    Itll all be virtual cuz I have some west coast people who want to get in. Ganna be trying to go for one night every other week.

Nerd mode on.
  • RedRex06RedRex06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 155
    I've never played D&D... but I've made a ton of different characters (only one of which has a character sheet, and even then its Pathfinder...) and I even mapped out a world while injured in Basic Training (we had far too much time. What else was I to do with my notepad and a billion hours of nothing?) I know exactly what character I'd play, but I don't know if he fits into rules or anything. Nowadays its hard to commit to things that take mroe than 15-20minutes per round, due to my wonderful bundle of monstro... er.. joy... but if ccom did something once a month or biweekly, I'm sure I could be in on that. Heck, depending on how Xavier does after a test round, it could be weekly. Both myself and my wife have always wanted to play, but neither of us want to DM for just the two of us. We be nerds, yo.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    So yeah, if this is actually happening, count me in. One weeknight every other week over Skype sounds great.
    Skyping from the Great Place.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    I used to play four characters. Two elves (one thief and one Ranger), a human Paladin and a elvin/human half breed who happened to be a wererat. Don't ask, my DM was feckered in the head when I rolled for that character. We played 3rd Edition for a while then moved on to AD&D which I thought was shite compared to the original.
    Since this was in my high school days, 25 yrs ago, I doubt I could even remember how to play...
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    I'm still in as well!
  • mfotismfotis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    I played AD&D growing up, character sheets were notebook paper written in pencil, maps were graph paper and we only had the 3 books and two sets of dice. What are all these new things I'm hearing about?
    Yeah, I spent 25 minutez rolling stats...sue me.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Says your diseased. Eeeeeewwwwwww. Lol. Whats that mean?
    Should have used the +1 condom.
  • Bad MonkeyBad Monkey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 94
    waaay back in the day, back when it was just plain ol D n D first original edition
    what did you use for your character sheet? I wouldn't mind re-rolling my current character.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    WTF is a blade? And why does it have to be so smart?