Home General Discussion

Found a cigar I loved, looking for suggestions on similar ones to try

Rob002Rob002 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello all. I am new to the hobby and so far I have purchased some sample packs of various cigars to explore what I like and dislike. The majority I have tried I tended to enjoy, but can’t say I’d want another one if I had other choices available.

I recently took a vacation to the Cayman Islands, and while there decided it would be a good time to try a Cuban cigar while I had the chance (since I live in the USA and can’t get them legally while at home). One that I made a point to try was the Montecristo #2 since I had read from several sources before going that it was one of “the cigars” to compare all others to. (I know that is probably a debatable thing, but it seemed like a popular statement enough to at least try).

Well, I sat down with a buddy of mine in a La Casa del Habano store and tried it out. I loved it. It was by far the best cigar I had ever tried (so far). It was smooth smoking from start to end, great tasting, and just an all-around great smoke. 

I was very happy to have gotten to try it, but now that I am home am sad that I can’t actually get them. So, I will turn to you more experienced folks for some advice to help find some similar cigars to try out that I can find here in the states. 

What non-cuban cigars are most like the Cuban Montecristo #2 when it comes to flavor, quality, etc…? I am sure there must be ones that are similar, but there seem to be an endless amount to try so a little help narrowing down the choices would be appreciated.

If there is any more info I can provide to help answer please let me know and I will try my best to answer.

Thanks!

Comments

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Just break the law and order some Monte #2's. Problem solved.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    SleevePlz:
    Lmao!!!!! Them rass's are really good by the way! Might have to get more
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Lee.mcglynn:
    SleevePlz:
    Lmao!!!!! Them rass's are really good by the way! Might have to get more
    Yeah they are! Rob, to answer your actual question. I don't know. I don't personally think that any non-Cuban cigar tastes like a Cuban cigar. There is just something different to them that the others don't quite mimic. Were there particular flavor notes that you enjoyed that you would like to find in another cigar? That might be more doable........or just follow my first bit of advice :)
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    jliu:
    bad. mmmkayyy
    Lol, you might be the absolute last person that can promote this.
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    SleevePlz:
    jliu:
    bad. mmmkayyy
    wink wink ;);)
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    SleevePlz:
    jliu:
    bad. mmmkayyy
    no ***, i think someone might have referred to him as a cuban whore most recently.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    The problem is, that it would be like asking what orange tastes the most like a Granny Smith apple.
    It's better to find an orange that you like and not worry about it tasting like an apple.

There are so many good NC (non-cuban) cigars out there that you can enjoy them as much as a cuban.
    It would be easy to go into all the lines (brands) of cigars that can be suggested, but the problem is that everyone's tastes are different. I like Granny Smith apples, while the next fella may like red delicious.
    You have to try them to know what you like.

I prefer cameroon wrappers over anything, but that is me. Other guys go nuts for Connecticut wrappers (connies).
    The worst part I'd have to say for anyone starting out in cigars is finding out what it is that you like.
    And then determining what is that you prefer. It can be difficult and trying at times. But try not to get discouraged.

And read reviews on the cigars you smoke, not so much to decide what to try, but to see what it is that those people taste and experience in a cigar, so you can see if you are on the same page.

Ok, I rambled on enough.
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 278
    According to some magazines AJ Fernandez's Pinolero cigar is the closest to a cuban you'll get. I've had one and it's quite quite similar to a cuban.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    I would highly recommend trying out the Regius black, and the Elogio Habano and LSV. Cuban tobacco is Very unique, specifically in the finish. As a big fan of cuban cigars, these two brands are very close, but different in their own way. I very much prefer smoking them as much as any habanos, aside from aged stock.

Then do what Teach said
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,520
    0patience:
    The problem is, that it would be like asking what orange tastes the most like a Granny Smith apple.
    It's better to find an orange that you like and not worry about it tasting like an apple.

There are so many good NC (non-cuban) cigars out there that you can enjoy them as much as a cuban.
    It would be easy to go into all the lines (brands) of cigars that can be suggested, but the problem is that everyone's tastes are different. I like Granny Smith apples, while the next fella may like red delicious.
    You have to try them to know what you like.

I prefer cameroon wrappers over anything, but that is me. Other guys go nuts for Connecticut wrappers (connies).
    The worst part I'd have to say for anyone starting out in cigars is finding out what it is that you like.
    And then determining what is that you prefer. It can be difficult and trying at times. But try not to get discouraged.

And read reviews on the cigars you smoke, not so much to decide what to try, but to see what it is that those people taste and experience in a cigar, so you can see if you are on the same page.

Ok, I rambled on enough.

Nailed it!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i agree with the above.
    there are no non-Cuban cigars that taste like Cuban cigars.

in THIS THREAD i have this quote:
    kuzi16:
    Cuban-esque is quite possibly the most shamelessly over used term that ever had anything to do with cigars. The world is sick of hearing how “Cuban-esque” the new cigar from X,Y, or Z blender is. The world hears how “Cuban-esque” non-Cuban cigars taste constantly.

To set the record straight: Only cigars from Cuba are Cuban-esque. There are no cigars from any other country that taste like they are from Cuba.

That isnt to say that all of those non-Cuban cigars are inferior in some way. All tastes are personal. Some people like the way that Cuban cigars taste. Some people like Dominican or Nicaraguan, or Honduran. Every country has its own range of flavors. No Nicaraguan cigar tastes Cuban. No Cuban cigar tastes Honduran. No Honduran cigar tastes Dominican and no Dominican tastes Nicaraguan.

How many times do people smoke a Nicaraguan puro and think “this is Dominican-esque!”? There is a good chance that it is almost never. This is simply because every country has its own profile. Trying to force one countries tobacco taste like another doesnt work.

Even when a non-Cuban cigar is an LE, reserve, vintage or ultra premium it is still not Cuban-esque. Those other terms are at least an attempt at honest (but over used) marketing. Calling a cigar “Cuban-esque” is a flat out lie designed to get suckers who dont know much about Cuban (or even non-Cuban) Cigars to buy them based on the presumption that only Cuba produces good cigars. Are non-Cuban cigar companies saying that they make inferior cigars?

A bit of advice to cigar companies: Dont say your cigars are “Cuban-esque.” Feel free to talk about how good they are, what flavors are contained within, what leaves are used, the quality rollers you employ, or even the heritage your farmers have. All of those qualities project an atmosphere that you are passionate about cigars. As soon as you say they are Cuban-esque you lose credibility. You sound like you dont care about the cigar, but about the money. Though cigars are a business, make avid smokers believe cigars are your passion in life.

if you want the flavor of a Monte #2, then you will only get it from a Monte #2
  • Rob002Rob002 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks for the great replies everyone. I am sad to hear that the cuban taste is so unique, but I guess that gives me more reasons to keep trying a bunch of brands. On the bright side, at least I have a bar set in my mind as to where a “good” cigar should be verses average ones for my own tastes.

I think the hardest part of getting started in the hobby is that there seems to be an endless amount of brands to try, and I have not yet tried enough and refined my tastes enough to catch the subtle and subjective “flavors” that people note in their reviews. My palate is not refined enough (or my brain is not refined enough) to figure out what it is I taste or don’t while smoking, but it just registers as good or not, or somewhere in between. I can tell when I like one more than another, but can’t yet put into words what it was about it that I liked about the flavor. I am hoping over time my tastes will refine a bit more with experience and I will be able to start narrowing down the tastes and such.

I started keeping a journal of cigars I smoke, and after I log all my notes I try to find reviews on what others wrote about it (Thanks 0patience, your comment assured me this was the right thing to do). I only read them after I log my thoughts though, since I don’t want them to influence my own notes. I am finding that after reading them they often times are similar in general, and perhaps those will help me put into words what I think. I also am hoping that after some time and several entries I should be able to see patterns as to types and origins.

For now, it’s basically a crap shoot and random “what’s in my humidor that came in that last sample pack?” selections, with a few targeted ones to try based on replies here.

Thanks again for the replies. When I started to get into cigars I never knew a community like this existed, so I look forward to reading and posting more in the future.
    Rob, what non-cuban cigars have you enjoyed so far?