Home General Discussion

Cold Weather

MAWartMAWart Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 137
As I am sitting on my balcony, I am thinking I have to at least get my basement windows redone so I can smoke in there. It is unfinished but will be eventually. Can you smell the cigar throughout the house if smoking in the basement with the windows open? My soon wife would not be happy if that is the case.

Comments

• Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 278
    I'm going to say yes. Small amounts of it will make its way through. Also, the smoke gets on your clothing and in your pores and hair. So even if the smoke isn't traveling through the house...the scent will be on you. Sucks I know...I have to smoke outside...which pretty much means I have to smoke at like noon if I don't wanna freeze to death.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    yep, it goes through the vents. When is smoke downstairs i have to go to the corner and open the door and the window behind me plus close the vent and the smell still gets upstairs a little. i need a 4 season's deck.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    Gotta pay attention to where your heater is too. Cause if it's in the basement the filters will become saturated with cigar smoke.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    If you're going to finish the basement amyways ....might as well go all in
    Seriously, this is badass.....check it out: http://www.ryandeyer.com/cigar-room/about-cigar-room/
  • variant2variant2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 351
    This works good if you need to smoke outside. You can even use it to light your cigars

amazon
  • 11rocket1111rocket11 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 138
    variant2:
    This works good if you need to smoke outside. You can even use it to light your cigars

amazon
    Up here in Ontario, I would have to get like three of them for the winter. To me it would be worth it. Lol.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    i'm gonna have to get something....its down in the 20s here and its only november.......gonna be a long winter. I might have to do a redneck smoking shack in the back.....shayne said that he used to get one of those tent things with a propane heater in there to keep it decently warm.......might be where i am going.
  • TexvetTexvet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 38
    I am sitting the garage having my evening smoke listening to the hockey game. I just purchased a Mr. Heater "Contractor Series", propane heater. It's 27 outside and 65 in here. It is pretty noisy, but it cranks out the heat.
  • buckeyecigarbuckeyecigar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 500
    MAWart:
    As I am sitting on my balcony, I am thinking I have to at least get my basement windows redone so I can smoke in there. It is unfinished but will be eventually. Can you smell the cigar throughout the house if smoking in the basement with the windows open? My soon wife would not be happy if that is the case.
    gonna have to do it outside bro
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    brianetz1:
    i'm gonna have to get something....its down in the 20s here and its only november.......gonna be a long winter. I might have to do a redneck smoking shack in the back.....shayne said that he used to get one of those tent things with a propane heater in there to keep it decently warm.......might be where i am going.
    I bought one of those pop-up tents with walls and a little propane heater and even the couple nights it dropped near 30 it was nice and cozy. Just have to make sure not to leave anything in the ashtray or the smell sticks around.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    When I refinished my basement last year, I put an exhaust fan into the wall behind my bar. Works well. If I stand behind the bar, you can see a stream of smoke being pulled out through the fan. You can still smell it a little bit the next morning, so I try to only use it when necessary (like last night when it was 25 degrees). Some smoke deoderizing spray and make sure you move the butt and ashes outside when done has kept the pregnant wife at bay so far this winter.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    jgibv:
    If you're going to finish the basement amyways ....might as well go all in
    Seriously, this is badass.....check it out: http://www.ryandeyer.com/cigar-room/about-cigar-room/
    Hell yeah that's badass.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    I tend to smoke way more on the pipe than cigars in my apartment during the winter. The smell isn't as bad or lingers for so long.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    There are lots of good ideas on how to eliminate smoke and stay warm during the winter but one thing that I do which helps A TON is my ashtray. A ton of awful lingering smell is from the ashtray. I use a glass jar with a lid which I keep on tight. When I need to hit the ash off I open the jar, tap the ash in and close it up tight again. It's pretty easy and helps a lot.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    It's almost guaranteed she will smell it. I tried it under my house in a basement storage room that only had access from an exterior door. I left the doors wide open and got rid of the ash and butts but still the odor seeped up into the house.

I'm currently testing out a cold weather solution for balcony and deck smoking. It's a hunter's blind. Basically it's a small tent. You pull it out of it's small carry bag and it springs open. The space is 5' x 5' square and the height is 5.5' (I think). It has no floor and if the wind isn't too gusty it won't need to be staked down. I'm using it on my porch and I have access to an outlet so I'm using a small space heater. You still need to bundle up but this really bumps the chill factor back up to a comfortable range. The thing has zippered windows on all sides to allow as much ventilation as needed. Two could fit if necessary but by myself I have enough room for my wrought iron patio rocker and a couple of small tables. I can even recline in my chair and prop my feet up on a small table in the opposite corner. You can take it down and put it in a bag in about 20 seconds. If you're interested, it's an “Ameristep Doghouse Blind”. Yep, I'm in the doghouse.
  • MAWartMAWart Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 137
    That room is kick ass. I wonder if I can pull that off. I think I would have the room.