Home General Discussion

Help?

christian1971christian1971 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 392
I received my rocky patel vintage '92 cigars in the current deal for 39.95/10 pack. But I noticed the wrapper was different. It is a much lighter color. Did cigar.com screw up? If so, I want the correct cigars. Unfort I got rid of the cellophane.

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    When was the last time you bought the Vintage '92. To me, the blend seems different than it did when I first started smoking them ( 2005 ish ). They changed, or my tastes changed, because they don't appeal to me as much any more.
    It seems the nature of cigars. Why would you take off the cellophane, and then decide you think you have the wrong cigar ? If the label says Vintage 1992.. that is what they are currently selling as Vintage 1992. It still seems like a good deal at 10/ 39.95.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Reach out to your representative, or anyone from ccom if you don't have a regular go-to. I'm sure they'll know if there was any change. If it's just color, though, maybe RP just used less dye on this bunch, lol
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    One of the biggest gripes people have with Rocky is that he continues to label his cigars under the same name as he always has even though the blend has almost certainly changed. There are a number of reasons for tobacco becoming unavailable and the blend needing a tweek to compensate. This isn't the problem, the real problem is that he doesn't change the name of his cigars after this occurs. The Decade is another example of this. No way are his current Decades the same blend as the luscious ones that earned the 95 rating.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    bigharpoon:
    One of the biggest gripes people have with Rocky is that he continues to label his cigars under the same name as he always has even though the blend has almost certainly changed. There are a number of reasons for tobacco becoming unavailable and the blend needing a tweek to compensate. This isn't the problem, the real problem is that he doesn't change the name of his cigars after this occurs. The Decade is another example of this. No way are his current Decades the same blend as the luscious ones that earned the 95 rating.

Beat me to it, I was going to bring up the Decades. They have definitely changed since he moved factories. I'm really glad I stocked up on them when I did, got around 20 of the old blend left. Its probably the same with the Vintages, I know they changed the band color, probably the whole blend.
  • timbtimb BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Owners, Registered Users, Trusted Users Posts: 216
    Hi Christian.  I think Andrew is already helping you with this but i wanted to chime in.  Wrapper coloration can vary on many brands.  It's just an unfortunate fact when dealing with naturally fermented tobacco.  I can assure you what you received are in fact Rocky Patel Vintage '92s.  That being said if you don't like the look of them or the flavor, you can send them back for a full refund.  We'll send you a return label that will pay for the shipping back to us.  Just let Andrew or myself know and we'll take care of the rest!
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    timb:
    Hi Christian.  I think Andrew is already helping you with this but i wanted to chime in.  Wrapper coloration can vary on many brands.  It's just an unfortunate fact when dealing with naturally fermented tobacco.  I can assure you what you received are in fact Rocky Patel Vintage '92s.  That being said if you don't like the look of them or the flavor, you can send them back for a full refund.  We'll send you a return label that will pay for the shipping back to us.  Just let Andrew or myself know and we'll take care of the rest!
    Cigar.com Customer Service is the bomb.com!
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    ddubridge:
    timb:
    Cigar.com Customer Service is the bomb.com!
    +1
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Best Customer Service Ever. Period. Ccom Rocks!!!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Through the process at the factory most like colored wrappers are boxed together...you got a ten pack not a box therefore the of one out could be from a different box. No wrapper is the same it could be close but never the same. Even in boxes you'll notice a difference...it's nothing too worry about it happens all the time
  • christian1971christian1971 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 392
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Through the process at the factory most like colored wrappers are boxed together...you got a ten pack not a box therefore the of one out could be from a different box. No wrapper is the same it could be close but never the same. Even in boxes you'll notice a difference...it's nothing too worry about it happens all the time
    ........Im assuming the darkest ones go in boxes and less appealing in bundles etc.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    christian1971:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    ........Im assuming the darkest ones go in boxes and less appealing in bundles etc.
    its really on shade...if you had a box with lighter colored wrappers you wouldn't really notice till you see a darker one. The bundled rp's are just wrappers with defects on them
  • christian1971christian1971 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 392
    I took a closer look and sure enough they were a bit different. The bundles were a wee bit longer.
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    I think the most important thing here is that both Tim and Andy are dealing with this and leaving the returns TOTALLY up to you Christian. Ultimately you have a decision to make, not sure what it will ultimately be, but if you wish to send them back...do it...if you wish to keep them...do it..but I believe you have had ALL of your concerns addressed, so perhaps you might rethink dissing ccom...on ccom, or elsewhere....imho.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    Have dealt with this issue as I use to smoke a ton of the Vintages and know their profile like the back of my hand. When I discovered there were "seconds" sold I tried a few bundles and that was about 6 years ago and noticed nothing out of the ordinary except for color and length and some 'blems' in the seconds which was the reason they were sold as seconds or X outs....A being the the Edge...B being Sungrown..C being Old World etc. I have a feeling that the discoloration in the wrappers is from the QC people relaxing their standards where lighter wrappers are being put up as first quality...JMHO
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    bearb:
    I think the most important thing here is that both Tim and Andy are dealing with this and leaving the returns TOTALLY up to you Christian. Ultimately you have a decision to make, not sure what it will ultimately be, but if you wish to send them back...do it...if you wish to keep them...do it..but I believe you have had ALL of your concerns addressed, so perhaps you might rethink dissing ccom...on ccom, or elsewhere....imho.
    Not sure it was a dis as much as it was a real question.

What you have to remember is that a leaf is a leaf. Different colors, shapes, sizes, etc. This is why they have color sorters in cigar factories. ( Have you seen these people work? They are frickin amazing! ) Cigars will have color change from box to box with out a doubt. I have two Oliva MBIII's that look nothing like eachother that I got from to very respectible members around the same time. Both are probably on the oppsite end for the color spectrum for that wrapper and you would never know any better if it werent for these two wonderful people sending from two totally different boxes.

Just saying.

(but really, have you seen factory floor color sorters? You really should youtube it...)

Nevermind I got this

• MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    ddubridge:
    bearb:
    Not sure it was a dis as much as it was a real question.

What you have to remember is that a leaf is a leaf. Different colors, shapes, sizes, etc. This is why they have color sorters in cigar factories. ( Have you seen these people work? They are frickin amazing! ) Cigars will have color change from box to box with out a doubt. I have two Oliva MBIII's that look nothing like eachother that I got from to very respectible members around the same time. Both are probably on the oppsite end for the color spectrum for that wrapper and you would never know any better if it werent for these two wonderful people sending from two totally different boxes.

Just saying.

(but really, have you seen factory floor color sorters? You really should youtube it...)

Nevermind I got this

I couldn't do that. My wife will ask me if some shirt is mauve or salmon and I'll say it's pink. I have so many pairs of socks where one is blue and one is black. I have no problem with black, brown, red, blue, pink, and yellow. But avocado is a fruit not a color. Just call it green.

This ends my color rant for the day.