Home General Discussion

Digital Hydrometer issue

New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
I decided to do a salt test on mine. It's been in the bag for about 6 hours now. It's reading 76F. The problem is, when I turn the dial, it does not change the reading. Logically, if I turn the dial all the way up, and it still reads 76F, I SHOULD be able to remember its +1...but am I really sure its +1? Maybe its just reading very wrong...how am I to be sure?!

Comments

• curtpickcurtpick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,600
    Ummmm. 76f is the temperature. You mean 76 rh ? And you should leave it sit in the container for about 24 hrs. 6 hours is the minimum time.
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    curtpick:
    Ummmm. 76f is the temperature. You mean 76 rh ? And you should leave it sit in the container for about 24 hrs. 6 hours is the minimum time.
    Yeah sorry, 75F - 76rh. Can do, I'll leave it sit over night.
    Well, were at about 17hrs in the bag...and were at 77rh. I'm still unsure about the fact that I cant adjust it
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    What kind of digital hygrometer do you have? Some of them don't allow you to adjust 1 or 2 points, what it does is allow you to only set it to 75. Let it sit for 24 hours and just hit the button to adjust to 75 and your all set. Also i recommend that you use a calibration kit instead of the salt test. The salt test leaves too much room for error.
    It's a Humicare digital. Little blue thing, has the C/F button, reset button and a dial. Thought, the dial does not seem to do much
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Sounds like you have a hygroset model. They have the little dial adjuster for calibration. They are tricky when compared to a xikar model that has a one touch calibration button that sets the hygrometer at 75% at the conclusion of the salt test period. I have a handful of xikars and one hygroset. I'll never mess with hygroset again.

• TridentTrident Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,005
    New Boots:
    It's a Humicare digital. Little blue thing, has the C/F button, reset button and a dial. Thought, the dial does not seem to do much
    I use the hygroset ones in all of my coolers. So, do the salt test (or actually i use the boveda packs). The boveda pack in a ziplock and the hygrometer. Leave it for 24hrs. The boveda pack is set so you know what it should be...then just turn your dial. each click is 1 rh. After you turn it, you need to press the RESET button on it. After you do that, put it back in the ziplock with the boveda pack. another 24hrs! then check it and repeat if necessary. Turning left is down 1, and turning right is up 1. Hope that helps.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,423
    I have a couple of these, leave it in the bag for 24 hrs, each notch is one RH point so if it reads 77 move the dial two clicks down (left) hit the reset and put it back it the bag for another 24 hrs repeat as needed until it reads 75RH after 24hrs it may take a few trys. mine don't do well if I try to adjust more than 2-3 points at a time. kind of a PITA.
    Nathan
    I may have to look at getting a new one....I'll keep trying this one, but I think the adjustment knob is off.
    Thanks Roman and Nathan for clearing that up. I just got back from checking out a youtube video that reminded me how to do it. You click the dial one click for each percentage point you want it to change, THEN you hit the reset button. The dial does not change the digital readout immediately. You have to hit the tiny reset button to see the results of turning the dial. Then you have to go through the test again to double check your adjustment. Yep. Pain in the azz for sure.
    New Boots:
    I may have to look at getting a new one....I'll keep trying this one, but I think the adjustment knob is off.
    Boots!......Are you hitting the tiny reset button after you turn the dial? That's where I was having trouble myself the first time I was calibrating mine.
  • soyouseesoyousee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 33
    I have the Xikar brand and after setting to 75 2 times with analog models in bag with it when I put it in humidor with analog included it drops to 62 no matter which humidor I put it in. I have 5 analog models and last time I put 3 of them in same humidor with Xikar. They all read 76 and it reads "62" Going to reset Zikar again today and try again as it is new and hate returning anything.
    Bob Luken:
    New Boots:
    Boots!......Are you hitting the tiny reset button after you turn the dial? That's where I was having trouble myself the first time I was calibrating mine.
    Yup...I'll adjust the knob (a notch or two) hit reset, and it's changed drastically. I'll keep playing with it.
    I might have a winner! It's been about 12hrs since I did my last adjustment. It's sitting at 70f - 75rh!
    New Boots:
    I might have a winner! It's been about 12hrs since I did my last adjustment. It's sitting at 70f - 75rh!
    That's good news. I remember messing with mine quite a bit too but they are good hygrometers once you get them dialed in.
    ..and, after leaving it over night again, we're back at 76rh
    76% isn't too bad at all for a salt test reading. I'd say that's good enough. Most of them only claim to be within 2 points accuracy anyway.
    I'm going to give it one more over night...and hopefully I can roll with it My new humidor is about 2 days from usable...so I need to get this thing running right