Home General Discussion

Cigar of the month clubs

New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
Whats the take on them? Good deal? Good way to stock your humidor with a good variety of smokes? Good way to have enough personal stock, that you can bring yourself to let them rest before smoking?

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Decent deal, but really good way to try new stuff. And, it comes with a bit of literature about each of the cigars so its' a good way to learn about the cigars also.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    I personally don't like paying to have someone else pick out my cigars. Some are okay with that. Instead, I just spend waaaay too much time researching cigars myself and buying samplers/5ers/boxes based on what I believe I will like.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    I personally don't think so. I would much rather spend that money on daily deals, bid sites, or weekly deal on the various sites. Just look at today's daily deal. 39.99 including shipping fir 15 decent to good cigars
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    Isn't it kinda like getting a sampler though? May include something you've had, something you like, or something that you want to stay away from. I'd rather have one stick of something I don't like, than I would getting a 5er of something that sounds great, but I really don't like.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    New Boots:
    Isn't it kinda like getting a sampler though? May include something you've had, something you like, or something that you want to stay away from. I'd rather have one stick of something I don't like, than I would getting a 5er of something that sounds great, but I really don't like.
    basic math here. 29.95 plus 3.95 for shipping and handling...so about $34 for 5 cigars. If you look at just Cigar.com you can get the Full bodied tap out II for around $10 more with shipping and that is 12 cigars. Many of the awesome samplers on here show up on the daily deal or weekly deal.

If you expand to auction sites, you can get samplers of 10 cigars for $25-$30. Not to mention the samplers at other sites being similar pricing to cigar.com if not a little better on some.

Remember now that you are part of a community everyone has different tastes and if you don't like something that is of quality you are always going to be able to find someone on here that would be willing to trade with you.
    One of the better deals I've found, is $30 and no shipping for 8 cigars. I may just go with samplers until I find something I really like.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    When i first got into cigars i was into 2 diffrent of the month clubs. It was a cool way for me to learn because they came with a little blurb about each cigar but once i realized what i liked and what diffrent tobaccos tasted like i cancelled so i could have more lattitude over what i bought.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    I spent two months in a "club" Had to cancel. Just didn't like their choices. I still have not tried a couple of the sticks. I'd rather go it alone. But If I were you I'd go with some samplers here on ccom.
  • Gino USMCGino USMC Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 127
    Great post. I was just thinking about this yesterday. I am still debating on doing it.
    Gino USMC:
    Great post. I was just thinking about this yesterday. I am still debating on doing it.
    HOOAH! (heh!) I'm still on the fence....I think samplers may be the way to go, but I'm really still not sure. Maybe it my lazy side thinking that they will pretty much pick a sampler for me. Then again, having my own say over what gets purchased, you'd think, would be better.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Depends how much you plan to smoke as well. Don't forget the fact that if you're in the CotM on this site you get 10% off everything you order, which can quickly reduce the price of member ship if you're a daily smoker. I've heard some guys buy so much here they get the CotM "free" lol
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Ken Light:
    Depends how much you plan to smoke as well. Don't forget the fact that if you're in the CotM on this site you get 10% off everything you order, which can quickly reduce the price of member ship if you're a daily smoker. I've heard some guys buy so much here they get the CotM "free" lol

I wish I had that kind of time! And money. But mostly time!
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    I was on the COTM Club for about 2 years. I just canceled last week. It was a great program to get some awesome cigars to try out. At times you can get one cigar that cost $20 - $30 which makes it so worth it. Now that i have a better idea of what i like i will just order a 5 pack of anything i want to try.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Martel:
    Ken Light:

I wish I had that kind of time! And money. But mostly time!
    Ditto, man, I'm certainly not one of 'em!
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 843
    I was part of the CotMC for the first year that I got into cigars. I thought it was a good deal. I was able to try a variety of sticks that I never would have bought for myself. Once I started figuring out my likes I cancelled and focused my money on those I wanted to try, revisit or wanted more of. If I was able to smoke more I might rejoin one of these days for a few months just to see what hidden gems I might get.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    SleevePlz:
    I personally don't like paying to have someone else pick out my cigars. Some are okay with that. Instead, I just spend waaaay too much time researching cigars myself and buying samplers/5ers/boxes based on what I believe I will like.
    im with the teach on this one...it's easy enough too get sucked in on smokes you actually want to try! Why bother hoping you get something you like?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    there is just more control if i choose what i want. now that i know that i like i would be annoyed if i got a hand full or rocky patel or gurkha. yes i may randomly get some good cigars too but more often than not im sure i would be not too happy with them.
  • danielruasdanielruas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 778
    I was a member of ccoms for over a year and I got to try a ton of cigars out of it and when I was ordering a lot the 10% off was awesome. But like others have said now that I know what I like I cancelled a while back. You do randomly get a great high end cigar some months but more often than not it's a mix of good cigars with a Gurkha or rocky thrown in to even the balance.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    I enjoy the surprise. Not knowing what's in the box. I also like the 10%.

I consider myself quite fortunate when it comes to enjoying cigars, I like most of them. At least, I like them for what they are. High dollar for discriminating taste? Wonderful. Yard 'gars, well, I spend time in the yard.

COTM has given me a chance to try cigars I probably never would have bought, many of which I later went on to buy quite a few of. Very rarely is there something that just sucks, or pisses me off as in the case of the exploding Gurkhas. All in all, the cost of the cigars from the COTM is usually less than I'd have paid if I'd bought them retail, so, I'm in.