Home General Discussion

Newb ?

fishndude3fishndude3 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 22
Ive read alot about coolidors and have been looking for a small one that fits the bill. I have a smallish styro one that has an awesone seal, and the size would fit the bill. My ? is , would this material work? I never read where anyone is using styrofoam? I have added some Spanish Ceder pieces, humidifier beads, and let it sit. It is reading right at 70% ? Would this work?

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    People have used anywhere from zip loc bags to ammo cases as humidors. If it has a good enough seal and it can hold humidity to where you want it, then absolutely.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Sounds like it would work except I'd be concerned about the odor. Every styrofoam cooler I've ever been around has had an odor. The newer they are the stronger the odor. I would make sure to stick my head down in there after the lid has been shut for a while and smell it. If there's any "styrofoam" smell at all I'd pass. Those odors would be absorbed by your cigars. You can get a plastic Coleman Xtreme 28 quart for less than 20 bucks at walmart and it makes a very nice small coolidor. I have two of them. One stores boxes and the other has 12.5" x 7.5" spanish cedar trays stacked for loose singles. And if I ever get to where I don't store cigars in them,.............they are really nice coolers for beer and whatever.
  • fishndude3fishndude3 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 22
    The Odor issue is the concern for me. It isnt aweful, but there is a distinct mild odor.
    Just a mild odor huh? Maybe it's so mild that you wouldn't notice. But I still wouldn't risk it. I've never heard of anybody using a styrofoam cooler either. Maybe it's because of the odor problem. Would you be ok with your cigars having just a mild styrofoam taste? LOL
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Bob Luken:
    Just a mild odor huh? Maybe it's so mild that you wouldn't notice. But I still wouldn't risk it. I've never heard of anybody using a styrofoam cooler either. Maybe it's because of the odor problem. Would you be ok with your cigars having just a mild styrofoam taste? LOL
    Sounds like a Gurkha ;)
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    36 qt coolers are $20-30 or so at Walmart. Zip locs are even cheaper. Don't risk compromising your cigars over something so trivial.
    Rain:
    Bob Luken:
    Sounds like a Gurkha ;)
    You mean Gurkhas are similar to styrofoam in that styofoam also does weird things when you light it on fire?

(Hope fishndude3 isn't a big Gurkha fan. If he is, he should be made aware that we have a Gurkha anti-fan club chapter here.)
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    In my opinon, anything with a seal that is odorless and can keep your humidity in place works. Whether it be a humidor, cooler, zip lock bag, plastic food containers etc....
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    allsmokedup:
    36 qt coolers are $20-30 or so at Walmart. Zip locs are even cheaper. Don't risk compromising your cigars over something so trivial.
    i agree on this one.....if you need a cooler, you have hundreds of dollars to thousands of dollars in cigars that you want to store. Why would you risk affecting the natural flavors on the cigars by putting it in a styrofoam container when a suitable replacement costs under $50.
    Ok Ok Ok! Nixt that idea. Not worth it. Ive got another 50 count I was going to give a freind, hes just gonna have to wait till I decide what Im going to do? Ill put as many as I can in there and bag the rest. Thanks everyone for your help.
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    fishndude3:
    Ok Ok Ok! Nixt that idea. Not worth it. Ive got another 50 count I was going to give a freind, hes just gonna have to wait till I decide what Im going to do? Ill put as many as I can in there and bag the rest. Thanks everyone for your help.
    Or you could check at your local stores and pick up large rubber sealed plastic containers, I have a couple that'll hold about 100+ sticks
    If i use a cooler or rubbermaid, do i put some spanish ceder in there? If so, how much?
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    You can, I just have boxes, but not required. In Rubbermaid I have none
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    fishndude3:
    If i use a cooler or rubbermaid, do i put some spanish ceder in there? If so, how much?
    glad mike confirmed for me, but i think the cedar is just to satisfy the aroma of a humidor. I know a few people that just have them in plastic bags in a cooler or rubermaid.
    Thanks guys. This place is great!
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    brianetz1:
    fishndude3:
    glad mike confirmed for me, but i think the cedar is just to satisfy the aroma of a humidor. I know a few people that just have them in plastic bags in a cooler or rubermaid.

The cedar will absorb moisture and make the environment more stable than with just the humdifiers alone. Also, with just plastic it is very easy to over-humdify a container.