Home General Discussion

will this ridiculousness not ever end...

2»

Comments

• FireRobFireRob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,884
    firetruckguy:
    I'm all about a good 6X60 or bigger for my time golfing. They, to me, stay lit when they roll off the cart when I forget where I put it down and I can get a solid 9 or more holes before I need to light another.

Good to hear, cause when I got it my first thought was that I was going to put one of these in your trade box with the Camacho's, so I guess I still will.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i smoke so slow now that a 6x60 can easily last well over 3 hours for me.

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    brianetz1:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    FireRob:
    Rain:
    B&M price is always a little higher, but you have to support those guys! Especially if it's "your" B&M. As for me...50rg is the max I like.

Totally agree, I just didn't do any home work on researching this cigar and paid $11 (thinking that was cheap for a barber pole) and Ccom has it for $8. I was really buying it thinking I was buying a $10+ cigar so I had something to spice up a trade one day
    dont forget the bigger not the better!!
    honestly what happened to smoke what you like and like what you smoke?

FireRob, don't change what you like just because the majority of the guys here like to smoke smaller ring gauge cigars. I still enjoy a 56 ring gauge cigar. 60 gets a little too big for me, but I'll still smoke them in certain situations. YOu will hear that the wrapper to binder ration is lower on smaller ring gauge cigars so you get more flavors, but honestly maybe you like the flavors that the binder and filler tobaccos bring at this point in your cigar smoking life. Personally i don't like lanceros. I hate the way they feel in my mouth, hate the fact that you have to pay attention to every single puff, have to make sure that you aren't smoking too fast, have to make sure that you aren't smoking too slow.

To me the bump in flavor isn't pronounced enough for me to taste it and a robusto works great for me.

so smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Your flavor profile is completely different than the next person.

This is the point I was making with my earlier post. Smoke what you dig. I would say the vast majority of cigars I smoke fall in the 46-50 RG area, but that's not to say I don't enjoy a bigger RG every now and then. I still like the Nub Maduro and Diesel Shorty. I also don't like lanceros, with just a couple of exceptions.

While I do find that I tend to prefer most cigars in a 46-50 RG, there are some that just shine in a larger size. When I first got into the hobby, it was different. I tended to go more for 54-60, with the Gurkha Beast being one of my favorites. Was I wrong then? No, I don't think so. I was just smoking what I enjoyed at the time. As I smoked more, my tastes fell more to more medium sizes. If the 7x70s had come out 5 years ago or so, I almost certainly would have tried them, and may have enjoyed them greatly.

The point I am trying to get across is, find what works for you and go with it. Don't listen to other people if they are telling you what you should like. By all means, if a reviewer or another BOTL that seems to have similar tastes to you recommends something, give it a whirl. But if you don't like it, you don't like it. If you would rather smoke a Gurkha Beast than a My Father Lancero, smoke the Beast. I never thought the Man O Wars were worth smoking, I was pretty disappointed by all the ones I tried (exception here to the Puro Authentico) even though there was a huge following here on the forums for them. Was I wrong? Were the other members who did love them wrong? No, we all have our own tastes and preferences. I still don't care for them. I don't care for Opus X either, which is a highly regarded brand by almost everyone. I do like almost everything Alec Bradley puts out, where many BOTLs don't. The diversity of this hobby is one of the main draws for me, how there are a seemingly limitless number of blends and brands, and how everyone has different opinions.

I've also found that no one really looks down on you or judges you for what you smoke. I've seen people in a lounge debate the merits of RP and Gurkha vs. Tatujae and Viaje, but with no hostility and no looking down on the person with different tastes than the other. There will always be that guy who is "the expert" and if you don't enjoy what he enjoys, you obviously have inferior tastes. You know what? That guy is an ***, and in the minority of the cigar community, at least from my experiences. Find the cigars you dig and enjoy the hell out of them. A year or two down the road, if your tastes change, groovy, find some new stuff to suite your palate. If they don't change? Groovy, keep on smoking what you dig. Or hell, never smoke the same cigar twice, constantly try new things, lol. Do whatever you find appealing. Like I said earlier, when it all comes down to it, its YOUR hard-earned money you are spending on this hobby, you deserve to enjoy it. So smoke what you enjoy, regardless of what other people think.
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    bbass2:
    Well stated.
    That's what is cool about trading and bombing or box splits etc.. Always trying different sizes, wrappers, fillers etc.. At least if you try it you can speak from experience otherwise you've really no clue. I do enjoy those larger RG when the weather is nice and there's no stop watch to what you're doing, of course smoking in the winter outside requires a smaller RG to keep frostbite at bay.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    FireRob:
    Very interesting, just today on an impulse at my B&M I picked up 3 of the Asylum 13 barber pole sticks, one for my self and two for a surprise in some future trade. Wish I would have checked the online price first but live and learn. Figured it would make for a nice bonus but if the consensus is no one here would smoke it guess I had better ask before I send it.

For me I like a 50+ RG and even I think the 70 is over kill but am still looking forward to trying this Asylum
    Hey, I just want to note that this is awesome. Picking up extras to hand out is a great gesture and just goes to show that you're a true BOTL. But I also want to make sure you know never to worry about what you send someone, because it's about the thought and not the stick. If anyone's upset with what you send they're an @$$ for it, not you.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I know the big Gage's aren't popular on here but some of the other forums they are hugely popular. I myself like a 60 ring when it's a cigar with many different types of tobaccos especially in a perfecto shape. But I don't know about a 70 that just doesn't seem like it would be comfortable to smoke.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Rhamlin:
    I know the big Gage's aren't popular on here but some of the other forums they are hugely popular.
    My number one beef with them is they last too long to keep me interested. I like my smokes to be 60 - 90 mins.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Rhamlin:
    I know the big Gage's aren't popular on here but some of the other forums they are hugely popular.

I've seen this too. I feel like the weirdo, just liking mainly, uh, normal size cigars? Medium size cigars? I dunno. Generally speaking, I don't really care for large ring gauges or very small ring gauges. There are exceptions, of course. I love the Tat Black Lanceros and original El Truinfadors. I still dig the Diesel Shorty and Nub Maduro. I dig the Illusione MJ12, even though its not my favorite size of that line any more. I do definitely believe that there is a certain size each cigar blend is best in. Take the Room 101 Namakubi. The toro-ish size blew me away. I tried the Papi Chulo and found that the flavors seemed to be very washed out in that size, which is odd because its a petit corona size. The size between the Papi and the toro-ish one was better than the mini-corona, but still not nearly as good as the toro-ish. I haven't tried the ginormous one (Chingon I think is what its called), but I don't see it being better than the toro.
  • J.S.J.S. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 751
    I really don't like anything above a 50 ring, myself. I have seen the 80X6. While I will never smoke it, but it was weird to see the tobacco maiden at the B&M gently caressing it.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Rain:
    Rhamlin:
    My number one beef with them is they last too long to keep me interested. I like my smokes to be 60 - 90 mins.
    Yep I know what you mean about 90 minutes is good for me. I rarely have the time for more than that anyways. Now if I'm with a buddy I like something that'll last a couple hours. Saw a pic of one the other day 9x80 no way I can do a 4 hour smoke.
    Ken Light:
    Hey, I just want to note that this is awesome. Picking up extras to hand out is a great gesture and just goes to show that you're a true BOTL. But I also want to make sure you know never to worry about what you send someone, because it's about the thought and not the stick. If anyone's upset with what you send they're an @$$ for it, not you.

Thanks, It’s not so much as being worried that someone likes what I send them, but I do notice some of these games/trades/bombs going around here on occasion contain some expensive sticks. I just want to be prepared and have something special on hand just in case. I don’t have a lot of or especially a full box of “special stuff” in my humi and I thought that a large barber pole cigar was something you don’t see every day. (even if it is a novelty item). I now realize these are not posted in pic’s of trades cause not many would want them, which is cool with me, I am not worried, I now have three that I get to choke down. (hope it’s good) I have a few ten plus dollar sticks but only one of each kind and everything else that I would trade is a five or six dollar Comacho. My daily smokes are the $1.50-2.00 Tampa Trolley and I know no one wants to be sent one of those. Hell, even I don’t really like smoking those. I think even a Swisher Sweet is a step up from a Tampa Trolley… Just want both party’s to walk away happy

Also I am not concerned what others think of my likes or dislikes, I admit I like 6 X 50’s but have no problem with the smaller stuff, but I do feel like my great aunt Joy when I first start to smoke a Lancero. It’s not until it gets about half way down I feel like a man again. (sorry couldn’t resist)
    J.S.:
    I really don't like anything above a 50 ring, myself. I have seen the 80X6. While I will never smoke it, but it was weird to see the tobacco maiden at the B&M gently caressing it.

Weird or Nice?
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 525
    FireRob:
    J.S.:

Weird or Nice?
    Is that "Weird" in the way I like around 50 ring, but try to tell my wife they only make the ones she likes in 60 or bigger gauge, just to watch her smoking them >;-D
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    honorknight7:
    FireRob:
    J.S.:

Weird or Nice?
    Is that "Weird" in the way I like around 50 ring, but try to tell my wife they only make the ones she likes in 60 or bigger gauge, just to watch her smoking them >;-D
    thats not weird thats just wrong......altho..
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    Rain:
    Rhamlin:
    7.5x52
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    I was tricked! You can't have call anything that big any type of corona...
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    Rain:
    I was tricked! You can't have call anything that big any type of corona...
    Bwahahahahaha!!!