Home General Discussion

Why do we need caps on cigars?

dominickdominick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4
It just occurred to me this afternoon to ask why do we need a cap on a long filler cigar? I recently switched back to a guillotine cutter from a punch.

I cut off the head, so the foot and head look the same on a Mark Twain. Virtually no tobacco needed to be brushed away, and I now have the biggest opening to draw from. Why a cap, aside from those who prefer a punch or V-cutter? Since I know that cigars are constructed in a certain way from foot to head, the band should be enough to let you know the difference.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    There's a chance that it will unravel. They start rolling the wrapper on from the foot so the leading edge overlaps and needs something at the head to keep it in place. You aren't expected to cut past the shoulder. That's where you run the risk of the wrapper unraveling.
  • dominickdominick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4
    Makes sense, but so far I've been lucky with no unraveling...
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 278
    Better yet..."Why do we need cigars with shaggy feet?" I know it's kind of a cuban thing. But the cigar never lights right or stays even throughout the smoke. Even if you clip some of it off.
  • KevinFittsKevinFitts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 225
    dominick:
    It just occurred to me this afternoon to ask why do we need a cap on a long filler cigar? I recently switched back to a guillotine cutter from a punch. I cut off the head, so the foot and head look the same on a Mark Twain. Virtually no tobacco needed to be brushed away, and I now have the biggest opening to draw from. Why a cap, aside from those who prefer a punch or V-cutter? Since I know that cigars are constructed in a certain way from foot to head, the band should be enough to let you know the difference. Any thoughts?
    It's to keep the sun out of their eyes!! :-) Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos