Home General Discussion

Re-gifting

Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
You ever re-gift (re-bomb / re-pass) a cigar that you received in a pass or bomb that you've never tried before. Why? What made you send it down the line rather than try it?

Me? I'm holding and smoking everything I haven't tried before.

Comments

• TridentTrident Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,005
    I only regift/rebomb cigars i know i will not enjoy. I keep everything that i have never tried.
  • smoke em if you got emsmoke em if you got em Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,119
    Trident:
    I only regift/rebomb cigars i know i will not enjoy. I keep everything that i have never tried.
    Pretty much the same here..i should keep better track of it though..I would hate to bomb someone with a stick the same stick they gave me!
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    smoke em if you got em:
    Trident:
    Pretty much the same here..i should keep better track of it though..I would hate to bomb someone with a stick the same stick they gave me!
    Right! LOL I've tagged some of mine. But that would be even worse if I were to send it back to them with their name on it. LOL
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    if I know i dont like it, I will send it away in hopes someone else will. I would however never put a stick in a package to sell that was gifted to me...that feels like its crossing the line.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    deejmemixx:
    if I know i dont like it, I will send it away in hopes someone else will. I would however never put a stick in a package to sell that was gifted to me...that feels like its crossing the line.
    same with me, i don't think i would put one in a trade either.

Most of the time i regift to the various troops packages when i know i don't like it.
  • KevinFittsKevinFitts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 225
    Trident:
    X2 - the sad part is that I have many waiting to be tried. I have begun to acquire a liking to CC's so my NC sampling has waned off a bit. I do tend to send cigars that I like to folks if they have similar taste to me or based on what I like based on their profile. I want to start trading with NEWB's to start moving sticks that I don't care for as I think that this is the best way for them to experience a wide range of tastes. My Humi is filling up fast so this might help to make room. (Do a fiver trade but "accidentally" go over by a few sticks) :-)
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    This is a fuzzy area and I probably make mistakes here and I hope I've never offended anyone. I always hand out a cigar to someone if I know they'll enjoy it. If it was a gift I haven't tried, unless it was something that was specifically gifted so I could try it, I'll probably hand it out because, who knows, maybe I don't like it at all, but I know that person will! I guess I come at it from a different angle and I don't mean at all to disrespect a gift if I pass it on, even if it was meant for me to enjoy if I know someone else will enjoy it even more (or is more likely to enjoy it), I'll pass it on. I'm not passing on the gift in my mind, I'm enjoying the gift of making someone happy (which is how I see all these gifts), whether that someone is myself or someone else.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I can honestly say that I have gifted one cigar that was given to me by someone else. In my case I was pretty sure this person never had one of these and I have had a few so I wanted to share. With that being said, I did have my cousin who took a gifted cigar from me and I was just about to smoke it! It was a Padron 1926 Natural. He was a sneaky SoB! By the time I could say something he had it in his mouth! I have since learned my lesson. Anything I don't want him to smoke I hide and then carry with me the stuff I don't care if he takes!
    rwheelwright:
    I can honestly say that I have gifted one cigar that was given to me by someone else. In my case I was pretty sure this person never had one of these and I have had a few so I wanted to share. With that being said, I did have my cousin who took a gifted cigar from me and I was just about to smoke it! It was a Padron 1926 Natural. He was a sneaky SoB! By the time I could say something he had it in his mouth! I have since learned my lesson. Anything I don't want him to smoke I hide and then carry with me the stuff I don't care if he takes!
    It sounds like you need a "decoy" Humi. With all the sticks that you don't care about in it for you cousin. ;-) KevinFitts aka kevfi
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I don't get too many chances to smoke these days. If I get a really nice stick given to me and I feel that someone would enjoy it, I'll pass it on. Done it a ton of times. There is no sense in me being greedy so I just share the love. I had a guy I worked with that was getting in to the hobby so I gave him a bunch of sticks that I had been gifted. I would rather bless someone else like I was blessed than not share the blessings.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Trident:
    x2
    I try not to pass on any cigar I received as a gift/trade/pass. I just don't like doing it.
    If it's something that's new to me, it will never get "re-gifted".

But if it's something I've had before and I absolutely know I won't like (there's only a few brands on that list though) I'll offer it to a friend in town ....
    Or I'll try to pass it on to someone that hasn't had that brand before so they can form their own opinions.
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    Trident:

I am the same way. I think thats also part of being a good BOTL..... Passing on stuff for others to try and not just hoarding it. I won a contest last year from RCY with about 45 sitcks in it. I asked him if would be ok to send out ones I knew I wouldnt get to, to new guys. I think thats the right way to do it. Ask if youre unsure how someone will feel.
  • CigarManNo1CigarManNo1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7
    I personally only regift the ones I have already tried and have plenty, because there are not much smokers who do cigars among my friends and I want to give them the ones that are really good, but it also depends on taste.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Bob Luken:
    smoke em if you got em:
    Trident:
    Right! LOL I've tagged some of mine. But that would be even worse if I were to send it back to them with their name on it. LOL
    are we all passing around the same gurkhas? there are only 10 or so out and about on our forum, and we each have seen them about 4 times.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    kuzi16:
    Bob Luken:
    smoke em if you got em:
    Trident:
    are we all passing around the same gurkhas? there are only 10 or so out and about on our forum, and we each have seen them about 4 times.
    :)
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    beatnic:
    kuzi16:
    Bob Luken:
    smoke em if you got em:
    Trident:
    I think Matt's missing out....
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Bigshizza:
    beatnic:
    kuzi16:
    Bob Luken:
    smoke em if you got em:
    Trident:
    I think Matt's missing out....

It's like fruitcake!
    I will regift from time to time. I never would take offense if others did. (Unless maybe they sent em back to me) I try to smoke anything that I haven't tried but I do hang on to the ones that I like. That said, with as many cigars as we all "accumulate", it only makes sense to share those gems as well!! I'm pretty free about what I share and with the folks on this site, I think that many others are too. This is as much about sharing with other BOTLs as it is about stockpiling cigars. If anyone ever sends me anything that is only intended for me, please tell me. I tend to smoke a pretty wide variety of sticks both CC and NC. I love trying new things and I love sharing things that I enjoy with others. (Both on and off the Forum) Just have fun with whatever it is that you do whatever way you do it. Once it hits the mailbox, the package is yours to do with what you wish!!!
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    I have been keeping track of every cigar I receive or purchase in a spreadsheet for about the last year now. I take note if I purchased it, traded for it, received it in a pass, or was gifted it (bombed). If it was gifted, then I make every effort not to send it back out to someone else. However, I have an open humidor policy at my house and guests have (pretty much) free reign of anything I have. So if they grab a stick that was gifted, I probably wouldn't stop them from smoking it. Obviously, some are completely off-limits.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    SleevePlz:
    I have been keeping track of every cigar I receive or purchase in a spreadsheet for about the last year now. I take note if I purchased it, traded for it, received it in a pass, or was gifted it (bombed). If it was gifted, then I make every effort not to send it back out to someone else. However, I have an open humidor policy at my house and guests have (pretty much) free reign of anything I have. So if they grab a stick that was gifted, I probably wouldn't stop them from smoking it. Obviously, some are completely off-limits.
    I'll be over in a little bit.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    SleevePlz:
    How is it obvious? Do you set up traffic cones?
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I like to keep anything im given. Even if its a cigar I wasnt too fond of I will try it again. I really cannot think of one I would not even try if it was a gift. It can be a nice change of pace.
  • curtpickcurtpick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,600
    Would never. But have seen some of mine re-gifted. I look at it this way. Its no longer mine when I gift it... right ?
    ddubridge:
    SleevePlz:
    I'll be over in a little bit.
    Anytime bro. I've got some cigars just waiting for some special guests to come by.
    Bob Luken:
    SleevePlz:
    How is it obvious? Do you set up traffic cones?
    Lol, I cut off their hands when they reach for them!
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 843
    I have done this on occasion. If I get a stick on my wish list from a bomb, pass or winnings, I usually keep it. For all others I will keep, but, there are times that I will pass along a stick on someones wish list or if it is something that I don't care for I will pass it on. There are also times that I have let sticks go that I wanted to try, but it was so far down on my list I thought the next person might be able to enjoy it well before I ever got a chance to try it.

One funny, short story. I got a mazo of sticks for dirt cheap to try, Mark Twain's. I didn't really care for it so I decided to throw one in on every pass, winnings or bomb that I sent out. I eventually got rid of all 18 of them. At one point, one of them made its way back to me. I could tell it was one of mine due to the hand written date tag that I put on every stick that I get. The brother that sent me the stick wasn't one of the BOTL's that I sent to originally. That means that that stick had been on a "world tour" of postal facilities in this country!

Rob