Home General Discussion

Anyone else fearing the season changing?

danielruasdanielruas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 778
For me it means cold a New England winter and far far less cigars. I feel like I haven't smoked enough this summer, so many more cigars I wanted to try so many more special occasion cigars I didn't find special occasions for. Time is running out for weather I can tolerate being outdoors for an hour+. So anyhow anyone else share my pain?

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Move south our build a mancave. Your options are limited.
  • TexvetTexvet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 38
    I understand your fear. But it's time to cowboy up and build yourself a shelter, section off a corner of the garage - get yourself a propane heater and get ready smoke. I have an unheated but enclosed breezeway between the house and garage. I fire up the "Big Buddy" propane heater - let it do it's thing for 20 minutes or so, bundle up and have at it. I may not always nub'em, but I enjoy the challenge.
  • ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    Winter is only about a month in the mid south. I'm looking forward to the season chang here. Too damn humid.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Yep, i tend to smoke more in the winter than summer. Spring and fall, about the same but i like the cold.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    I am dredding the below 10 degrees with snow and ice, freezing my appendages off
  • Poopy JonesPoopy Jones Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 357
    Here in the desert southwest we are about 5-6 weeks before the heat subsides then our season begins. I recently found a great B&M to herf at during the long summer months. In January it's perfect mid day for a smoke at about 70-75 degrees on the back patio.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    I'm with ya, but it's the stupid gray skies I hate. I've been thinking of getting one of those temporary greenhouses and a fire pit for the winter though. I'm totally jealous of Shotgunjohn's new mancave.
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 278
    I generally only enjoy the fall and winter. But I refuse to smoke out in the cold though. I'll either smoke in my car with the heat on or go to my local cigar lounge. Hate trying to enjoy a cigar in 20-30 degree weather.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    less time on porch.
    more time at local B&M.

• MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Imgembo:
    Winter is only about a month in the mid south. I'm looking forward to the season chang here. Too damn humid.
    Winter? More like a day if that. I don't think I've seen one in the three years we've been in the greater Memphis area. Sure, we get some snow, but it's gone before the day is over. No one knows how to drive in the stuff, but it barely sticks to the road, so I don't know how it causes so many accidents when it does happen once a season.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    danielruas:
    For me it means cold a New England winter and far far less cigars. I feel like I haven't smoked enough this summer, so many more cigars I wanted to try so many more special occasion cigars I didn't find special occasions for. Time is running out for weather I can tolerate being outdoors for an hour+. So anyhow anyone else share my pain?
    Oh for heaven's sake. Put a toob, a folding chair, and a space heater in the garage. By then, the Pats will have it figured out. You'll be in fat city.,

• Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Martel:
    Imgembo:
    Winter? More like a day if that. I don't think I've seen one in the three years we've been in the greater Memphis area. Sure, we get some snow, but it's gone before the day is over. No one knows how to drive in the stuff, but it barely sticks to the road, so I don't know how it causes so many accidents when it does happen once a season.
    I moved from Germany to Nashville in 1976, in October I bought studded snow tires and put all our summer clothes in the trunk of our '64 Chevy, and everyone thought I was nuts. Nashville got about a foot of snow one night, next morning I arrived at work, no one there! I bet I could have traded that Chevy for a half a dozen Cadillacs in the ditch that day. It would have been hilarious, if it hadn't been so dangerous. Some of the comments I heard that day included:

"I don't know why ever'ones drivin' so slow, I got the truck up to 65 out here on Franklin Rd"

When I asked "how did you plan to stop?" he scratched his head and said "huh, didn't think of that"

The other thing was, when traction broke, the universal coping strategy was to "floor it", which, of course, only made the surface slicker.

As far as smoking in the winter, or summer, I think it may have been FTG who once said "I smoke in anything that starts with 'My'." My house, my car, my yard, whatever.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    yeah, my smoking cuts way down to like 2 a week and generally i smoke in the basement with the windows open......
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    I fear it! Just started this hobby, and I have 3 roommates who don't smoke so I have to be outside or at a lounge (nearest is 25 min) so I'm gonna probably slow down how often, and be very cold. No more Churchills for me for a while.
  • danielruasdanielruas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 778
    My collection at least always grows a bit over the winter months!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    yeah, only cuz I hate the rain. I personally like winter, but I hate it being wet all the darn time.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    kuzi16:
    less time on porch.
    more time at local B&M.

I gotta find that review of yours when you did it in your car. The pictures are priceless.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    I hate the winter but in terms of shipping I look forward to it! Plus this is when you can really stock up
  • ZAPZAP Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 164
    I feel the exact same way....just did not smoke enough sticks this summer and in a month or two here in Northern Mn it will get a lot more challenging...planning a couple for Sunday....

danielruas:
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Lol.....heat index 108 here yesterday. Not fearing the change AT ALL.
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,922
    Yeah that's one thing I don't like less smoking in the winter, I'm gonna have to build a dome
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I don't smoke much in the summer. Cigars tend to fall apart in 100+ degree heat. Plus who wants to sit out in that sh!t. Looking forward to cooler temps.
  • danielruasdanielruas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 778
    Funny how some of you look forward to it for the cooler temps I forget that in other parts of the country/world it's unbearably hot in the summer.
  • Paintball1084Paintball1084 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 18
    Im looking forward to the season change. I will be ice fishing with a cigar at least once a week!!
  • scooter mcgeescooter mcgee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 322
    I will need to move into the garage, not to bad, I have a heater and my podcasts
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    No because doing medic training in the middle of the summer was the most stupid idea ever had
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 278
    I'm in North Carolina but the winters here can still get pretty cold, mainly at night. It sucks the humidity out of my humidor. Fortunately I don't have much in there. The seal probably isn't very good on it though. Some great guys on here have donated me Ramon Buesos Genesis's (awesome cigar) and the like! Which I am still greatly appreciative! I just gotta get a boveda pack or two and drop it in the humidor. Only thing about winter I don't like.
  • musicman3musicman3 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 622
    I don't look forward to the season of winter. I welcome fall with open arms and cigars. But I will have to say I am kinda looking forward to taking a break from smoking over the winter. I have been burning through sticks and need to have a rest period so to speak. Rejuvenate my palate I guess you could say. Plus I need to start filling my humi and not emptying lol
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,520
    I went for a high elevation hike this past Saturday and got snowed on. It's still technically summer. Boooooooooo! I guess that's why I only live near the mountains (5300ft) and not in the mountains. It doesn't make the likely hood of smoking outside any better though. In other words, yes I am fearing the season change.