Home General Discussion

What is a good Cigar!

soyouseesoyousee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 33
I've heard taste, draw, burn, aroma, feel and more. I would like one more to the list, BAND! A fan of the Vegas 5 series they have a nice heavy band that the edge lifts and pops right off. A smokers band.
Just bought a box of Perdomo, Lot 23 that not only has a bar code stuck to the fold over of each cigar but has a giant band that is pain to remove and tears up the wrap leaf for the effort. Guess it's not a problem if you only smoke 1/3 of the stick but I do. Will not buy anymore for this reason.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    soyousee:
    I've heard taste, draw, burn, aroma, feel and more. I would like one more to the list, BAND! A fan of the Vegas 5 series they have a nice heavy band that the edge lifts and pops right off. A smokers band. Just bought a box of Perdomo, Lot 23 that not only has a bar code stuck to the fold over of each cigar but has a giant band that is pain to remove and tears up the wrap leaf for the effort. Guess it's not a problem if you only smoke 1/3 of the stick but I do. Will not buy anymore for this reason.
    Sometimes holding a soft flame under the band just to heat up the glue a little bit will help them come off. That, or smoke the cigar down close to the band before removing. I agree the lot 23 bands can be tough!
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    A light roll of the band between your finger tips helps. When it gets really bad, I head straight for the razor blade.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Fuentes are a bee-och to get off, too. I can't give up on them though, they are one of my favorite brands.
  • kingdavid5kingdavid5 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 293
    I usually let it heat up and let the burn get near the band then take it off, haven't really had any problems with any sticks recently
  • danielruasdanielruas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 778
    Smoke until close enough to the band that it peels off easily. Works most the time.
  • FNAFNA Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 55
    "Smoke until close enough to the band that it peels off easily. Works most the time"

IMO, this is 50/50 an "old wives tale".

Sometimes it does make a difference, but just as often if a band is tightly glued to start, it will be tightly glued to the end.

I collect and display bands so this is an issue that comes up all the time. I smoke around 20 a week so I get a lot of practice at this.

The worst (for smoking) is when the band comes apart, but when you lift it off it has adhered to the wrapper underneath.

If I can, I try to slip the closed band off over the head or foot of the cigar. That way, you can dissolve the glue in a water bath and open the band without pulling off any color layer.

Re: the Perdomo 23 - hey, I was just looking at a 'super-glued' Lot 23 band last night. IMO, you shouldn't give up a cigar because the band is hard to get off.
  • soyouseesoyousee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 33
    My point is I smoke to have a pleasant experience. Fighting with a band is not my idea of that. I will never buy another Perdomo, there are just so many makers who take care to produce a quality cigar in all ways. Perdomo is not taking into account the amount we spent for a good smoke to forget the hassle of the day not buy another one. The fold over stuck down with a bar code label is a first for me and hope it's the last. These are not Good cigars! All considered! The Subject. What your local tobacco shop has a clerk who has no clue what he's selling, or did Wal-Mart open a smokers den. Is there a bar code on the shot of Bourbon!
  • FNAFNA Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 55
    "fold over stuck down with a bar code label is a first for me and hope it's the last."

I think you will be disapointed. This has become increasingly common in the last 6 months to year.

There may not be a bar-code on the glass of Bourbon, but there's one on the bottle. Gotta get with the 20th century before it's too... nevermind.
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    bigharpoon:
    Fuentes are a bee-och to get off, too. I can't give up on them though, they are one of my favorite brands.
    I agree. The opus is a SOB to get off. Great band though.
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 278
    I've had this same problem quite a few times over the years. I love a large decorative band...but hate taking them off. Fortunately my buddy and I have gained a "magic touch" over the years. Hard to explain what we do exactly. Kinda push the label side to side very very carefully. The glue usually loosens on the band. Then you twist the band just as slowly sliding it up. Some cigars dont work though...the veins can be too prominent and you'll end up taking out chunks of the wrapper.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I hate when the glue get's on the wrapper and it takes some with it. Really irks me.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Unless the band is loose I never take it off until its about to catch on fire.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    If your biggest problem with a cigar is that the band doesn't come off without a fuss when you don't try too much, then I think you need to stop smoking cigars...
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    allsmokedup:
    If your biggest problem with a cigar is that the band doesn't come off without a fuss when you don't try too much, then I think you need to stop smoking cigars...
    For sure! While band removal and the associated challenges can be challenging, i have never thought of NOT smoking a cigar i enjoy because of the challenges in removing its label. I am in it for the cigar, not the label.
  • mr.wendell1979mr.wendell1979 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 221
    bigharpoon:
    Specifically... The Anejo bands are obnoxious as well
    We go out to eat were there is good food, fast service, and smiling servers. They want and earn our business, we enjoy and tip. All is right in the world.
    There are so many great cigars to be had, so why would I reward with my money to those who could care less if I enjoy the entire experience. Why should I have to "try"!
    If this is your thinking, then I think you should stop posting.
    Just trying to be as dumb as you!
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    Here's the next headline from the Onion:
    Local man whines about $3 cigar. After getting called out, proceeds to complain again. Forever disavows forums. News at 11.

Please, do us all a favour; if you don't like a cigar because of the band, make up a more substantial reason. Simple minds are preoccupied by such trivial matters.
    allsmokedup:
    Here's the next headline from the Onion:

Local man whines about $3 cigar. After getting called out, proceeds to complain again. Forever disavows forums. News at 11.

Please, do us all a favour; if you don't like a cigar because of the band, make up a more substantial reason. Simple minds are preoccupied by such trivial matters.

What a troll, what are you 13?
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    "I think you need to stop smoking cigars..."

Them thar's fightin' words.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    Lot 23's are a good cigar and like others brands where you brought up the band being a PIA it does tend to make an enjoyable experience into a fight with a band that just won't come off. Some of the bigger bands as was mentioned can really be a challenge so I tend to keep a razor close by esp. when I know that a brand that has this characteristic. I tend to smoke my cigars all the way to my fingernails if it doesn't get harsh and wrestling with a cigar band is like negotiating with a streetwalker about pricing.