Home General Discussion

Have a huge problem and need advice.

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
I love my wife beyond anything in this world she's awesome in every single way. I also love cigars and they are my "get away" time on the weekends. My wife has made it beyond clear that she hates cigar breath and doesn't even like talking to me after I've had one. I've brushed my teeth/tongue/entire mouth, I've used mouthwash, I've had acidic drinks and booze. I can't get rid of it. I also can't get rid of my wife. LMAO!!!! J/K I either have to find a solution to this issue or get rid of my sticks. Please help! I have so many cigars I have yet to try in my humi and have an awesome setup I would hate to part with. :( advice please!!!!!

Comments

• roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Oranges and gum work for me. I eat an orange then chew some spearmint gum.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Try gargling with hydrogen peroxide before brushing...this works for me but really I'm single so I do t have any complaints either way
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    I feel your pain, bro. My SWMBO is unaware of my cigar habit. I made her quick cigarette smoking before we married 22 years ago and she still says she occasionally gets an urge to smoke one. So if she knew I was smoking cigars it might get her back on the cig habit.

So I hide my cigars in the house and I only smoke during lunch at hour at work--at most, one or two a week. Then I gargle with water, drink some stuff, and when I go home I eat a few breath mints. So far, I don't think she has caught on.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    LiquidChaos66:
    I love my wife beyond anything in this world she's awesome in every single way. I also love cigars and they are my "get away" time on the weekends. My wife has made it beyond clear that she hates cigar breath and doesn't even like talking to me after I've had one. I've brushed my teeth/tongue/entire mouth, I've used mouthwash, I've had acidic drinks and booze. I can't get rid of it. I also can't get rid of my wife. LMAO!!!! J/K I either have to find a solution to this issue or get rid of my sticks. Please help! I have so many cigars I have yet to try in my humi and have an awesome setup I would hate to part with. :( advice please!!!!!
    you haven't been married long enough......If my wife felt the same way and i would just be happy that i don't have to talk to her after i smoke. Hell i might start smoking 2 and 3 a day if that meant I didn't have to talk to her.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    It's not just your breath. It's your fingers, your face, your beard, inside your nostrils, your hair and your clothes. (Not "you" specifically. I mean all of us.) Major clean up and change of clothes is in order if your lady can't stand the smell. I use dawn dish washing liquid on my face and hands if I'm not already taking a full shower. I can wear a cap to keep it off my hair. Tooth brushing and especially tongue brushing then Scope mouthwash is all I usually have to do for my mouth. Also, some guys gargle with hydrogen peroxide. (Yummy!) There are some citrus and or acidic food or drink tricks that I've heard about and special cigar breath products too. (Cigar Clear). Keep googling for more good remedies. Let her know you're trying. And good luck.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/1896.aspx

http://www.finckcigarcompany.com/products/group/category/cigar_clear
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    LiquidChaos66:
    I either have to find a solution to this issue or get rid of my sticks. Please help!!
    im glad to help.
    ill PM you my addy.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    but seriously...
    you should talk to her about maybe a schedule. times its ok to smoke, times it isnt. stick to it on both accounts.

also have you tried targon mouthwash (do they still make that?) its for smokers. may help.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Jeesh. Sometimes you just have to man up. As far as talking to your wife, you'll get over that in time. LOL
  • stadstad Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 386
    Baking soda on a Toothbrush with a few drops of peppermint extract. I can kiss my wife after this
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    I'll try any of these options. I'm not willing to give up my smokes. :(
    LiquidChaos66:
    have you tried having a level headed convo with her about it? Doesn't she see that it is something that you enjoy and it makes you happy? I mean if something as small as cigar breath is causing that many issues in a relationship I can't imagine how you deal with kids or money issues.
  • J.S.J.S. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 751
    kuzi16:
    but seriously...
    you should talk to her about maybe a schedule. times its ok to smoke, times it isnt. stick to it on both accounts.

also have you tried targon mouthwash (do they still make that?) its for smokers. may help.
    I have been married 18 years. This is the solution. It is a give and take. Sometimes a schedule can make all the difference in the world. Also, this works for me: I smoke, brush, then use a water pick (water and Listerine mix [just a couple of T's of Listerine]). Then I make popcorn. I know, popcorn really should not kill it but it works for me and my wife can smell tobacco like no one else I know.
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    beatnic:
    Jeesh. Sometimes you just have to man up. As far as talking to your wife, you'll get over that in time. LOL
    lol this is too funny!!
    brianetz1:
    LiquidChaos66:
    have you tried having a level headed convo with her about it? Doesn't she see that it is something that you enjoy and it makes you happy? I mean if something as small as cigar breath is causing that many issues in a relationship I can't imagine how you deal with kids or money issues.

We have talked about it. She says its not a big deal but I know it is for her. I have a couple cigars on the weekends. I have no time in the rest of the week sadly. It's not like a full out brawl when it comes to this issue. It's a pet peeve to her.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Keep it simple y'all. I don't think it's cool to speculate or to offer advice about any aspect of his relationship with his wife.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Try gargling with hydrogen peroxide before brushing...this works for me but really I'm single so I do t have any complaints either way
    x2, not sure i could change now, i like to drink, smoke and scratch,lmao
    Bob Luken:
    Keep it simple y'all. I don't think it's cool to speculate or to offer advice about any aspect of his relationship with his wife.

Thanks sir! :) I took no offense to any of it honestly. Not everyone has had the same relationship experiences so I always expect a different level from other people's lives. :) like I said in my original post. I love her more than anything. And honestly if it comes down to retiring from the cigar world... I would do it for her.... Reluctantly. Lol
    jj20030:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    x2, not sure i could change now, i like to drink, smoke and scratch,lmao

What does it taste like?
  • curtpickcurtpick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,600
    brianetz1:
    you haven't been married long enough......If my wife felt the same way and i would just be happy that i don't have to talk to her after i smoke. Hell i might start smoking 2 and 3 a day if that meant I didn't have to talk to her.

WOW !! your ass is grass she reads this ! LOL
  • AVJimAVJim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 438
    stad:
    Baking soda on a Toothbrush with a few drops of peppermint extract. I can kiss my wife after this

This works for me too. I change it up and use spearmint sometimes for kicks....
    So do you make a baking soda paste with the mint? Or dry soda on a brush and then gargle mint ?
  • AVJimAVJim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 438
    I wet the brush with a few drops of peppermint/spearmint essential oil (it's strong and doesn't take much!) and put the baking soda directly on top of the bristles and brush. Good luck! I don't bother with toothpaste anymore at all, just this. My dentist has no objections and have not had issues.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,423
    Well, It's been nice getting to know you! lol Baking soda and vinegar are both good deodorizers, my gf is very tolerant for the most part there have only been a couple that she complained about so I just wait until she's not around too burn one of those, It doesn't sound like your wife is asking you to quite so you may just need to adjust your smoke schedule a bit. Good luck
    Im gonna try out some of these methods this weekend. Im not gonna bag out on the NW Herf cause of this issue. i think im gonna try the mint and baking soda method a shot first. after that ill work on the citric acid options... and a tongue scraper.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    LiquidChaos66:
    Im gonna try out some of these methods this weekend. Im not gonna bag out on the NW Herf cause of this issue. i think im gonna try the mint and baking soda method a shot first. after that ill work on the citric acid options... and a tongue scraper.
    You should NOT bag out on a herf. It's a great way to meet people and put the face to the name! GO!!
    Bigshizza:
    LiquidChaos66:
    You should NOT bag out on a herf. It's a great way to meet people and put the face to the name! GO!!
    speaking of which........vherf at 8cst?
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    brianetz1:
    Bigshizza:
    LiquidChaos66:
    In Hawaii at the present moment... Sorry next time though
    Bigshizza:
    brianetz1:
    Bigshizza:
    LiquidChaos66:
    In Hawaii at the present moment... Sorry next time though
    i hate you
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Some good ideas on here. I know coffee works sometimes, and so does liquor or even strong beers. I've never been able to get rid of it completely but I will chew gum to help keep the wife happy, though not sure if that's gonna help you out.