Home General Discussion

Throat pain that started while smoking a hard draw cigar

wangowango Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4
I've had throat pain on the left side that started while smoking a cigar that required a bit more than normal effot to draw. The discomfort started as a pulled muscle feeling and I thought it would go away but I've had it for months now. An ENT scoped my throat and said it was clear and wasn't concerned by my occassional cigar smoking (probably 1 - 2 per month tops).

Anyone experience this? The closest non-cancer answer I can find on the net is Hyoid syndrome.

Any input would be appreciated - thanks.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    That is a little scary that it has not gone away in months. Though I've had plenty of cigars with a tight draw, none have ever been so bad as to make my mouth or throat sore. It is good that ent didn't see a problem.

Maybe it is a non-cigar related problem that you only noticed because of a tough draw. That is, the cigar was not the cause of the problem. It only caused you to realize the problem.

1 to 2 cigars a month is way under any statistically significant amount for health effects. I hope you can find out what's going on, or better yet it goes away!
  • wangowango Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4
    I wasn't that concerned about it, even when my primary physician said it was very serious and referred me to the ENT. Even at the ENT I wasn't that worried because it started so abruptly. Who notices the moment they get throat cancer? He didn't think it was anything more than a sprained muscle.

I suddenly got very worried when I started Googling throat cancer and related treatments. I scared the crap out of myself and decided to calm down and stay off the cancer sites for a while.
  • insomnniapbinsomnniapb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 590
    wango:
    I wasn't that concerned about it, even when my primary physician said it was very serious and referred me to the ENT. Even at the ENT I wasn't that worried because it started so abruptly. Who notices the moment they get throat cancer? He didn't think it was anything more than a sprained muscle. I suddenly got very worried when I started Googling throat cancer and related treatments. I scared the crap out of myself and decided to calm down and stay off the cancer sites for a while.
    AHah funny how that s**t works huh... a little Google and all the sudden I'll certainly be dead by morning! In all seriousness though hopefully it's nothing major. If it is reassuring at all sprains and strains especially in the neck area can take a while to straighten themselves out, as you use your neck and throat a-lot!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I doubt it's cigar related. Hope you get it figured out though, sounds like a real pain in the butt.
    Perhaps this is homebrew related? I was drinking an amber ale I had brewed at the same time. On occassion the neck of the bottle breaks when removing the cap. I don't remember specifically but this may have occurred. When it does, the neck breaks cleanly (doesn't shatter) yet there is usually one or two micro-thin slivers.

All I know for sure is that I felt a tearing, cutting sensation when I swallowed, likely after a sip of beer. You know that feeling you get when you swallow a half-chewed corn chip sideways.

So maybe this belongs in the homebrew forum unless anyone here has experience swallowing a small sliver of glass?

• KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Yup. I have had the same sort of issue. Usually feel it when swallowing. Like a pulled muscle. It goes away and comes back. I've been to a couple of doctors. Neither were concerned. Me personally; I feel it is allergy related. I will have for weeks and it will go away. Then it will come back and then it will go away.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    Sounds likely that it's the glass...

On an unrelated note, would your name happen to be Mike? I knew a guy who used your handle...
    No, not Mike. And I swear I paid you back that $20 so stop bugging me. (LOL)