Home General Discussion

Types

Rice CrispyRice Crispy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 33
Whats your preference of a cigar. Do you like them long or short, thick or thin ? Like I said in one of my post im still learning an experimenting the difference and styles of a cigar. I'm a rookie still.

Comments

• james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    I like coronas and Lanceros myself.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    james40:
    I like coronas and Lanceros myself.
    yes
  • pokerstar22pokerstar22 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 62
    my preference is robusto
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    I had a lancero once and really enjoyed it. Lol. Really though, my preference is lanceros, coronas, and lonsdales. To contradict that, one of my absolute favorites is the LFD Salomon. So vitola is important, but keep an open mind.
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    Robustos and Churchills I think.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    robusto for me. not a fan of the sub 50rg at this point.
  • bluezulubluezulu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 108
    Robustos, or double robustos. I do not like Churchill's, the draw is almost always horrible.
  • J.S.J.S. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 751
    I like lanceros, coronas, lonsdales, and churchills (when the ring is small). I really like the size to be 48 or below down around 30 is OK, much lower than that and I think the cigar starts to suffer. Length really depends on time and the cigar itself.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    Varies from cigar to cigar, but my humidor seems to be full of either coronas or robustos... take that as you will.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    Coronas, double coronas, robustos, double perfecto and anything with a good box press.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    7 x 70s!!!!!!
    The bigger the better!!!!!!!

;-)
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    jgibv:
    7 x 70s!!!!!!

;-)
    So this would be right up your alley?

• brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    jthanatos:
    jgibv:
    7 x 70s!!!!!!

;-)

is that considered long filler or short filler?
  • Rice CrispyRice Crispy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 33
    willing to try it. lol
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,533
    i prefer corona anything up to a 47-50 ring, once in a while ill splurge ans smoke something bigger, prefer habano wrapper and maduro
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Robusto enjoys the virtue of virtual ubiquity; which is to say, most every blend does come in that vitola. So if you want to compare apples to apples in duration, burn, ratio of filler to wrapper, feel, construction, and so forth, then that's the way to go.

• Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    webmost:
    Robusto enjoys the virtue of virtual ubiquity; which is to say, most every blend does come in that vitola. So if you want to compare apples to apples in duration, burn, ratio of filler to wrapper, feel, construction, and so forth, then that's the way to go.

This is a great point, especially for one starting out.

The two things to consider when choosing a size are wrapper influence and smoke time. Starting out, smoke time might be the more important of the two. Obviously shorter smoke quicker than longer, and thinner tend to smoke quicker than fatter.

Important note: you need to smoke thinner cigars slower and draw less vigorously because they are more prone to tar build up. Generally very thin cigars like lanceros have a bit of a learning curve, while anything over 50 or 55 ring gauge is virtually fool-proof (within reason).

Wrapper influence is another simple thing to consider. The thinner the smoke, the more of that cigar is wrapper, therefore the bigger influence it has over flavor. Since wrappers are the biggest contributor to flavor to begin with, this really starts to matter with thinner cigars. If you're going with a bigger ring gauge, it's best to pick a flavorful wrapper that can stand the more limited wrapper to filler ratio.

For me, I try to keep stock of the size I prefer for a particular smoke as best possible, so when I pick something from the humidor (I have a wide variety), it's usually based on smoke time for size. I have a wife, dog, and a house. So I usually go for a corona. ;D
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Perfecto's. Best of all worlds. After that, Churchills
  • Poopy JonesPoopy Jones Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 357
    I'm more on board with Lanceros, Panatelas, coronas etc.
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    love me some robustos, but have been smoking alot of lanceros lately
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 278
    jthanatos:
    jgibv:
    7 x 70s!!!!!!

;-)

I could smoke that in an hour!
    I typically like anything larger than a robusto. To me if you're gonna spend the money...spend the extra 50 cents to get a larger size. Though if you are a busy person that might not be too practical.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    My list is figurado,corona,lancero and robusto. Sometimes a toro hits the spot but I'm a short and sweet kinda guy that likes the difference in wrapper and blend change
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Jasonc1982:
    I typically like anything larger than a robusto. To me if you're gonna spend the money...spend the extra 50 cents to get a larger size. Though if you are a busy person that might not be too practical.
    man for the extra .50 you get a lot more crap lol smaller is better IMO cigars are never really a bang for your buck!! Only few ever really are
  • ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    It depends on the cigar for me. I tend to buy the robustos first because they seem to be the most common. I like to try cigars in different sizes because it does effect the taste in a lot of cases. For instance I love the Ramon Bueso Genisis in a toro. It has this wonder full sweet spot about an inch an a half in. I do not like the robusto as much because it just doesnt have the same transition to me. Same thing for the Room 101 daruma. Love it in a lancero. Still good in a church hill but not as good as the lance.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I like a 6x50-54.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    perfectos, then lonsdales, then coronas, then grand coronas, toros.
    medium body is where i like to stay generally speaking but i do go out of thaqt quite often. i just find that medium is where most of my favorites are.
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    Jasonc1982:

This just doesnt sit will for me...... So you would much rather 2lbs of Chuck Roast then an 8oz Filet??...... Its not all about "WOW Cool 90 Ring Brah" Flavor profiles can be dramatically different from one Vitola to the next in the same exact line of cigars. There is a reason most Lanceros are more money then 6X60s in the same line....
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    Rice Crispy:
    Whats your preference of a cigar. Do you like them long or short, thick or thin ? Like I said in one of my post im still learning an experimenting the difference and styles of a cigar. I'm a rookie still.
    Lancero/Panatela - Corona - Robusto - Toro - Perfecto. I like my women thick and cigars skinny. Try them all from thick to thin short to long. I will say I have zero want to try a 70 ring.... heII.. I dont care for 58+ ring size.
    I just seem to enjoy a larger size than a robusto. I feel I'm done with it too quick. Toro is a perfect size. There are cigars I enjoy as a 6x60 (RP Vintage Cameroon for instance). The one Lancero I had I didn't enjoy. Not that it was a lancero but it was the blend I didnt like. The CAIN Daytona. If someone buys me a cigar or gives me one I don't complain about it. I'm just grateful they thought enough about me to get one. The Gurkha Holy Grail cigars were robustos though I loved them.