Home General Discussion

Cant decide- pipe tobacco or cigars

taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
So long story short i have some extra money in my paypal account and its the time of year to get myself a present, its only about $40 but for me to have that extra is an oddity as of late. ive smoked a few bowls of cheap tobacco lately and only had two or three cigars in the last month, so i cant really decide which way to go. I want to get a cob and a couple of blends but at the same time i want fo get a fiver or two... what would you do in my position?

sincerely, Confuzzled in Chickamauga

P.S.
Ive had a crazy summer like it seems a few others here have had so i haven't been posting much, i hope all are well and welcome to the new SOTL!!

Comments

• AVJimAVJim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 438
    Go with your gut man and never look back! If it were me, I would get a fiver and a tin.... wait, if it were me, I would run up the credit card bill and get a few boxes, a half dozen tins, a new pipe, torch, etc... and get a good tongue lashing from my smarter than I am wife..... and I would deserve every last word of the lashing but would still be grinning ear-to-ear. Yes my friends, I have an addiction!!! I know I am not alone on this forum!
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    lol, if only i had the money! and i dont have a credit card :D so i cant do that. my gut is waffling back and forth and it cant decide!! i havent made any purchases of more than two cigars since whenever it was i met up with doc earlier this year so my cooler is light, but i have no decent pipe tobacco... decisions decisions... i think my girlfriend is affecting my decision making skills because she never can decide on anything!!!
  • J.S.J.S. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 751
    This will be a very hard call for you. I feel for you but I think you are on the right track to not have a credit card, for what it is worth. I think it really depends at this point on how much you want to smoke. You will not get a lot of cigars but if you are willing to buy a couple of good bulk pipe tobaccos you could smoke for a very long time.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,423
    AVJim:
    Go with your gut man and never look back! If it were me, I would get a fiver and a tin.... wait, if it were me, I would run up the credit card bill and get a few boxes, a half dozen tins, a new pipe, torch, etc... and get a good tongue lashing from my smarter than I am wife..... and I would deserve every last word of the lashing but would still be grinning ear-to-ear. Yes my friends, I have an addiction!!! I know I am not alone on this forum!
    Yep +1
  • Big Fat HereticBig Fat Heretic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 31
    taythegibs:
    So long story short i have some extra money in my paypal account and its the time of year to get myself a present, its only about $40 but for me to have that extra is an oddity as of late. ive smoked a few bowls of cheap tobacco lately and only had two or three cigars in the last month, so i cant really decide which way to go. I want to get a cob and a couple of blends but at the same time i want fo get a fiver or two... what would you do in my position?

Well, if you're going to go with a pipe, don't just settle for a corncob pipe, but get yourself a good briar pipe instead. A corncob pipe might have air leaks around the shank where it's attached to the bowl. I should know from past experience.

I can recommend a really good pipe tobacco for just $12.95 in a 12 ounce bag.

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?brand=1187

Value priced and tastes like a champion, there's little doubt why this brand is called Smoker's Pride.

Smoker's Pride is a smooth, mellow blend of top-notch Cavendish and Burley tobaccos that are cross cut; an excellent choice for everyday use and quite aromatic. Easy on the wallet, Smoker's Pride is perfect for both enthusiast and beginners alike. Versatile too, the blend comes in Natural as well as 5 different casings: Cherry, Black Cavendish, Rum, Vanilla, and Whiskey.

My favorite is Black Cavendish.

Here's how you can LEGALLY get Cuban cigars in the USA!!! I have the Free Cuba Toro brand.

They're imported from the Dominican Republic, hand made from Cuban tobacco.

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?brand=73

This brand was originally introduced in 1996 by the Caribbean Cigar Company and came in boxes of 25. Today, Free Cuba still hails from the Dominican but the boxes were scratched and the line was changed to offer standard sizes in robusto, churchill, toro, and torpedo. These well-constructed cigars contain aged Cuban-seed Dominican tobaccos, creating a complex smoke perfect any time of day.

If you're searching for an inexpensive yet complex Dominican cigar - Free Cuba has got your name written all over it.

Product keywords
    DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, MILD, NATURAL

Here are some prices.

Churchill - 7.2 x 50 - Mazo of 25 - $31.95
    Robusto - 5 x 50 - Mazo of 50 - $49.95
    Toro - 6 x 50 - Mazo of 50 - $55.95
    Torpedo - 6.5 x 52 - Mazo of 25 - $31.95

They don't come in boxes, but are banded together in bundles.

The Cuban cigar, or rather, cigars imported from the Dominican Republic, are made from Cuban tobacco!

So, that is how you can LEGALLY get around it!

Cuban-seed and Cuban tobacco are two very different things. Seeds come from cuba, quite a lot of them actually but it is the climate where they are grown that makes the difference. This would be Cuban-seed grown in the Dominican.
    J.S.:
    Cuban-seed and Cuban tobacco are two very different things. Seeds come from cuba, quite a lot of them actually but it is the climate where they are grown that makes the difference. This would be Cuban-seed grown in the Dominican.

True. But, it is the closest thing one can get to Cuban cigars in the USA.

I understand, that President Obama might try to lift the embargo on Cuba.

One can only hope!

J.S.:
    This will be a very hard call for you. I feel for you but I think you are on the right track to not have a credit card, for what it is worth. I think it really depends at this point on how much you want to smoke. You will not get a lot of cigars but if you are willing to buy a couple of good bulk pipe tobaccos you could smoke for a very long time.
    i was going to go half and half but i didnt see any cigars in the $20 for a 5er range that struck my fancy so i ended up getting a lot of pipe tobacco, heres a list of what i got

1-Peter Stokkebye Cinnamon 2oz
    1-Peter Stokkebye English Luxury 2oz
    1-Lane Bulk 1-Q 2oz
    1-Lane Bulk TK6 2oz
    1-Lane Bulk BCA 2oz
    1-Lane Bulk BL/WB 2oz
    1-Missouri Meerschaum Eaton Pipe - Straight
    1-PIPA Vanilla Cavendish Pipe Kit
    1-Silver 3-in-1 Pipe Tool - Single
    1-BJ Long 6.5" Regular Pipe Cleaners (pack of 56)

and there goes that money, lol.
    Big Fat Heretic:
    J.S.:

True. But, it is the closest thing one can get to Cuban cigars in the USA.

I understand, that President Obama might try to lift the embargo on Cuba.

One can only hope!

ive had more free cuba's than i care to admit lol, the cobs i got wont be my first pipes and most likely wont be the last but with trying new tobaccos i dont want to worry about ghosting in the decent pipe that i have.
    taythegibs:
    ive had more free cuba's than i care to admit lol, the cobs i got wont be my first pipes and most likely wont be the last but with trying new tobaccos i dont want to worry about ghosting in the decent pipe that i have.

Yes, I see what you mean. Use the corncob pipe for trying new flavors, and then, when you settle on the one you like most, go to the briar pipe so that it won't be haunted by the ghosts of other flavors. Or have a different briar pipe for each flavor after that.

Yeah, when I first started smoking pipes at 19 years old, I have experienced my share of haunted pipes.

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

It looks like you have a good variety for your money. That should keep you smoking for quite a while.
    J.S.:
    It looks like you have a good variety for your money. That should keep you smoking for quite a while.

Yeah! I'm gonna be in Cigar Heaven!

A friend of mine has ordered Don Sixto Cigars for my 62ed birthday coming up this September 30th, and he also wants to give me some cash so I can deposit it in my bank account to order more cigars with my debit card.

Yeah! Cigar heaven!

Big Fat Heretic:
    J.S.:

Yeah! I'm gonna be in Cigar Heaven!

A friend of mine has ordered Don Sixto Cigars for my 62ed birthday coming up this September 30th, and he also wants to give me some cash so I can deposit it in my bank account to order more cigars with my debit card.

Yeah! Cigar heaven!

Ive never heard of the Don Sixto cigars before, but a little bit ago while looking for cigars to trade/sell off i ran across a couple of the free cuba's left from the lot i got a while back. Iirc i bought them because of the bands, lol. My 22nd is coming up at the end of this month (the reason i started this thread), and ive got a couple of nice cigars from the botl here to chose from for it! I figure that between those and the tobaccos i have coming ill have a smokey birthday!!
    taythegibs:
    Ive never heard of the Don Sixto cigars before, but a little bit ago while looking for cigars to trade/sell off i ran across a couple of the free cuba's left from the lot i got a while back. Iirc i bought them because of the bands, lol. My 22nd is coming up at the end of this month (the reason i started this thread), and ive got a couple of nice cigars from the botl here to chose from for it! I figure that between those and the tobaccos i have coming ill have a smokey birthday!!

I wish you a very happy, and smokey birthday!

I'm going to have a nice happy smokey birthday when I turn 62 on the 30th of September.
    here is what i ended up getting, so far ive been happy with my purchase.