Home General Discussion

My Father event last night - met Janny Garcia and Pete Johnson

denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
There was an event last night at 82nd Ave Pipe and Tobacco for La Duena/My Father cigars and who should be there but Janny Garcia and Pete Johnson.
my buddy BMWMark from Instagram let me know about the event so I had planned on driving the 45min. to get there but then some work stuff came up and it went all sideways. After finally leaving a half hour late I was on the road. I texted Mark that I was en route and he said he was in the garden area with Pete. I was so jealous. So I finally arrived, bought some sticks, got my raffle ticket, and headed out back. When I got to the garden I was greeted by my Buddy Mark who had saved me a seat next to Pete. I was introduced, lit my My Father en Cedros and started chatting. It was like we had talked or met before. Very cool guy. We talked about his lines, joked about the negative press regarding special edition sticks, BS'd about Instagram peeps and so on. When it came time for the raffle, Pete told Mark to take my ticket inside so we could keep visiting. It was freakin epic. Such a down to earth real guy. It was a lot of fun. Janny was very nice as well but I spent my time talking with Pete. What a great ambassador for this industry.

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Awesome Dennis. Good stuff.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    Love it! Especially the part about the raffle!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    damn,I meant to go, sad I missed this. glad u had a good time.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    phobicsquirrel:
    I was wondering if you were going to show up there, not that I know what you look like. Yeah, it was really cool. Pete was talking about the band design he did for La Duena and how that all came together. I guess one of Pepin's sons does the band art for the DPG/MF lines.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    dennisking:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I was wondering if you were going to show up there, not that I know what you look like. Yeah, it was really cool. Pete was talking about the band design he did for La Duena and how that all came together. I guess one of Pepin's sons does the band art for the DPG/MF lines.
    Glad you had fun!! Looks like a great time!!
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,372
    Wow that looks so cool, wish I was there. Either u r tall or Pete is really short. Congrats bro
    I'm tall. 6'4
    Pete's average height
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,372
    dennisking:
    I'm tall. 6'4
    Pete's average height
    Lol ok, looks like u had a great time. Would love to meet him someday.
    Glock1975:
    dennisking:
    I'm tall. 6'4
    Pete's average height
    Lol ok, looks like u had a great time. Would love to meet him someday.
    The only other people in the cigar industry I've met were Shorty Rossi and the head marketing guy for AJ Fernandez. Both cool dudes but Pete carries this huge celebrity status in the industry and he's a regular dude thru and thru. He's the same level as JD, DPG, and the Fuentes and he's just this down to earth dude. It's really cool. The funny part was that this wasn't promoted as a Pete Johnson Tatuaje event. He was there with Janny promoting La Duena / My Father and he was really cool about staying off to the side and trying to not take the limelight and focus away from what he was there to do. Every time we would be talking, someone would walk up and want a pic. He would just hop up and take a pic just like that. Cool dude.
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    Sounds like an awesome night
  • Rail JockeyRail Jockey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 758
    i'm going to a my father event on the 22nd....hope it will be cool as well. cool pics....
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Dropping names Dennis? LOL. Just kidding. It sounded awesome. You still driving exotic vehicles?
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    Nice man. What does pete smell like?
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Thanks for sharing Dennis. Man I love your State and going to be a tax payer soon. I thought of you a lot when I was in Portland this summer. Hope you are doing well buddy. Happy Birthday!!!
    rzaman:
    Thanks for sharing Dennis. Man I love your State and going to be a tax payer soon. I thought of you a lot when I was in Portland this summer. Hope you are doing well buddy. Happy Birthday!!!
    I wish I would've known you were here. I would have loved to share cigars with you!! I love Oregon. Very green and very relaxed with very nice people. I love the Portland area most of all. I only live 45min. away in Salem. I used to commute to Portland daily but I now work closer to home which is a blessing.
    beatnic:
    Dropping names Dennis? LOL. Just kidding. It sounded awesome. You still driving exotic vehicles?
    No, quite the opposite now. I'm working for a Toyota dealer that is in the same town I live in so I no longer commute. It's been a real blessing.
    jliu:
    Like Bourbon, cigars, and leather bound books.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    dennisking:
    jliu:
    Hmmm. I don't know which is creepier, that June asked, or you actually knew.
    kaspera79:
    dennisking:
    jliu:

surprised you didn't catch the reference

• twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    kaspera79:
    dennisking:
    jliu:
    sounds like he smells lovely...
    Dennis, we will meet someday since I love your State and I will buy a house there. I simply can't say enough good thing about Portland. I did my 90% summer shopping in Portland...no sales tax-:)
    dennisking:
    rzaman:
    I wish I would've known you were here. I would have loved to share cigars with you!! I love Oregon. Very green and very relaxed with very nice people. I love the Portland area most of all. I only live 45min. away in Salem. I used to commute to Portland daily but I now work closer to home which is a blessing.
    BTW, have you met and smoked with Glen yet? He is from Portland.
    rzaman:
    Dennis, we will meet someday since I love your State and I will buy a house there. I simply can't say enough good thing about Portland. I did my 90% summer shopping in Portland...no sales tax-:)
    dennisking:
    rzaman:
    rzaman:
    dennisking:
    rzaman:
    I love Portland dearly. I miss working there daily but I still go there quite often since I'm so close to it. When you come again, please look me up. It would be an honor to smoke with you and I've made some great cigar friends here as well. I haven't had the pleasure of smoking with Glen, although we've made some trades. It's a pity as he is so close.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    dennisking:
    jliu:
    Wonder if he makes cologne?
    dennisking:
    rzaman:
    Yeah, I didn't know either. You needed to let us know. That would have been a good time. Your going to be moving to Oregon? Wow.
    dennisking:
    rzaman:
    dennisking:
    rzaman:
    I love Portland dearly. I miss working there daily but I still go there quite often since I'm so close to it. When you come again, please look me up. It would be an honor to smoke with you and I've made some great cigar friends here as well. I haven't had the pleasure of smoking with Glen, although we've made some trades. It's a pity as he is so close.
    lol, well man I'm always open. Close though, not so much but closer than out of state.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    that's awesome! I hear pete is a pretty cool dude... looks like you had a great time!
    robbyras:
    that's awesome! I hear pete is a pretty cool dude... looks like you had a great time!
    Yeah, totally cool. We talked about cars and sticks and a little of everything. His voice sounds like Seth Rogan too which is kinda funny.