Home General Discussion

How to properly taste your cigars?

SmokeWISmokeWI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 64
Hey all,

Was curious if you have any suggestions about how to properly taste your cigar while smoking? Also, is there any general "rule of thumb" for how long or how hard to draw on your cigar? Does one way of smoking offer more flavor from the cigar than another?

I realize these are probably really dumb questions, but I don't want to get into any "bad habits" so to speak.

Thanks

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    As long as it tastes good to you, you are doing good!

Some things that I do... couple short puffs 1..2.. then a longer drag on 3. This makes sure your cigar is good and lit. Sometimes only one long puff is needed. No matter how you do it, don't rush and get the cigar too hot.

If you have not tried yet, try blowing a little bit of the smoke out your nose. Not too much or your eyes will water and youll feel a lot of irritation in your nose and throat. Just a little every now and then can help you get more flavor out. It's called "retrohaling".

• beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    I bumped a thread by Kuzi that you might find interesting to read in the Cigar 101 section. Over time you will find what works best for you. Like Gray writes above don't get the cigar too hot, you will get some undesirable flavors then. Also holds true when lighting the cigar.
  • SmokeWISmokeWI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 64
    Alright I'll try that. Was always skeptical because I've never smoked cigarettes or inhaled before so always thought it would burn like no other.

What about the amount of smoke that you actually bring into your mouth?

*edit* Thanks for the link to that thread, very informative.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Not dumb at all. You are smart to seek out the best way to get the most enjoyment. As a couple of guys have already mentioned, one thing I like to try and remember is not to draw too hard or too often because it gets too hot. What I mean is, a "too hot" cigar will simply not taste as good. I'm no expert on describing the subtle nuances of taste profiles but I have learned that "too hot" is bad. This is even more important when it comes to lighting your stogie. If you scorch it from the beginning it will taint the whole cigar with that scorched or charred flavor because you have drawn that overheated charred smoke all the way through your stick.

The interweb is full of "how to" articles and videos that specifically speak to lighting and also the basics of actually smoking a cigar. I would encourage you to browse around in addition to asking questions here. Some advice is better than others so I'll display a couple of youtubes that I think are worthy of your time. These two videos come from a couple of very good sources with good advice. cigarobsession and Cigar Aficionado .

• SmokeWISmokeWI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 64
    Thanks for the links. They are indeed very informative. Greatly appreciated.
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    both very good, informative pieces