Home General Discussion

Youtubes & bandwidth usage question.

Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
While watching a youtube video that is mostly audio production with little or no real “video”, would bandwidth usage be a lot less than watching a youtube video with live-action video?

While I realize that this question might be better suited for the "Non cigar" forum, I was watching a cigar related youtube and wondered if any of you could confirm or correct my assumption.

The reason I actually want to know is my home internet connection is by satellite and I have a monthly usage limit. If I go over the limit, supposedly they will “slow” my data stream unless I buy extra. I have a feeling that this so-called limit is kinda BS, but if any of you could share your IT knowledge as to the youtube question, I would appreciate any insight you can give me.

Comments

• kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
    A Video's size greatly depends on how many pixels change frame to frame. For example a video with normal scenes and motion will be much larger than a black frame audio only video. That being said, it can still be a big chunk of bandwidth, it all depends on how it was rendered and compressed. You can't know for sure how big it is unless you download it.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664