Home General Discussion

Some Foundation Questions to Get Started

2»

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    you may have over saturated gel. it will let off more humidity if there is more for it to give.
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    That's what I thought. So can I leave the gel out and let it lose some of it's humidity? Or take some beads out or something?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    take the jar out and let both the humidor and the jar lose some moisture but watch it all closely as to not have to big of a swing in a short time.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Yes, yes, yes, take that sumbitch humicare thing out of there. LOL Let it dry out. I had one of those rectangular blue humicare humidifiers with the little clear gel balls that swell up when you add distilled water or propylene glycol solution. The instructions said to soak it for a certain amount of time but I fell asleep and left it overnight in a bowl of distilled watter and those little balls swelled up so big that it popped the two halves of the plastic housing apart and they drank up all the distilled water in the bowl. They were the size of marbles! (You kids don’t play with marbles these days do you?) LOL. So yes, Like Kuzi said, they can get over saturated.

Sometimes the humidor and the cigars will do just fine for a while without any humidification device at all. I've got a small cooler with cedar trays stacked up and I seasoned the trays and then I put in cigars that came from a 65% RH cooler and I haven't had to use ANY humidification device at all for about a week now. RH holding at about 68%. I’m just keeping an eye on it and if it starts to drop I’ll add some kitty litter and a gel jar to see what happens.
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    Great thanks guys! I've had the gel out for 18 hrs now with RH at 70 flat. Hoping the gel desaturates a bit in that time. They come pre-charged so I haven't added any distilled water yet. Guess they just came over charged.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Yes, the jars I bought came very "wet" too. I believe some of them get too much juice at the factory. I'd leave the jar out in the open long enough to see shrinkage of the gel. That might take several days. I'd let the gel shrink by 1/4 to 1/3 of it's current volume to be sure it's not giving off as much humidity as it has so far. After it shrinks put the lid on the jar but don't automatically put it in your humidor. Monitor your RH. If you keep the humidor lid shut, I'm guessing your RH will get real stable at about 69% without the gel. And you might be able to go without the gel for days or weeks.