Home General Discussion

Bit a cigar

HugemooseHugemoose Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 458
While I was at my local B&M enjoying a NUB and watching Watchmen on DVD, I saw something that I have never seen before.

A gentleman came in and sat next next to me and made some small talk. What he did next was odd. He ran the length of the cigar through his lips and used his tongue to make it wet. Then, he BIT the cap of the cigar off.

I don't understand the licking of the entire cigar. Also, they have cutters for you to use....why not use it?!

It just seemed very strange to me to bit the cap off.....

Ok, that was my little rant of confusion for the day. Has anyone else ever done this or heard of this being done when cutters are widely available?

Comments

• JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
    he bit it huh? did he do it with an attitude? hmmmm, I don't know why but that kind of "erks" me. To each his own I guess. But if he did do it with an attitude, then he should get over himself. haha!
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    I've heard of people doing it before and have done it myself when no cutter was available....but I prefer the cutter if available ...
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I've seen a lot of people do a lot of odd things, Whatever makes him enjoy his smoke is fine with me. Pinch it, lick it, bite it, sniff it, Hey wait, that sounds pretty good to me.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 458
    kaspera79:
    I've seen a lot of people do a lot of odd things, Whatever makes him enjoy his smoke is fine with me. Pinch it, lick it, bite it, sniff it, Hey wait, that sounds pretty good to me.
    I would hope that sounds better to you if a woman were doing it!! And then...that sounds very good!

I didn't have a real problem with it so much as it just surprised me. Maybe by making it wet it'll burn slower....that's fine. But to bit the cap (and further) off when a cutter would do just seemed....different.

I used my Swiss army knife scissors once so I shouldn't really judge!
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    I used a Ka-Bar for a while. It actually worked very well, just barely shave off the tip of the cap. I also had a section chief a long time ago that used to bite the ends off his cigars and chew it while he smoked the rest of the cigar. Of course, I don't know exactly what cigars they were, but I imagine they were along the lines of Titan or Phillies.
  • KamelyonKamelyon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 109
    I have a good friend in Chicago that licks the entire cigar before he smokes it. He says it keeps the cigar from drying out whist smoking it. I have another friend that chews on the cigar while he's smoke. Says it gives him more flavor. He also dips alot too... However, I only thought bad@$$ hero's in movies bit the ends of their cigars off though.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    im fairly sure that a cigar that was licked before lighting would not burn as well as one that was not.

i dont bite the end if i cant clip.

isnt this why man invented the knife?
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Perhaps he's a homosexual who suffers from severe bi-polarism and gravitates very quickly between sensual and malicious moods. Could have been his way of coming on to you.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    alienmisprint:
    I used a Ka-Bar for a while. It actually worked very well, just barely shave off the tip of the cap. I also had a section chief a long time ago that used to bite the ends off his cigars and chew it while he smoked the rest of the cigar. Of course, I don't know exactly what cigars they were, but I imagine they were along the lines of Titan or Phillies.
    What is a Ka-Bar?
  • WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 328
    clearlysuspect:
    Perhaps he's a homosexual who suffers from severe bi-polarism and gravitates very quickly between sensual and malicious moods. Could have been his way of coming on to you.
    Lol.....
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    People have done worse things to cigars....look at Bill Clinton and his heinous treatment of a cigar...I heard he tried it with Hillary, but her balls kept getting in the way...
    clearlysuspect:
    Now that would be a little different! But alas, I don't think that was his motive. He was an ex-marine from Vietnam. I suppose he just didn't like wasting time with a cutte....and that's probably how he is "cut" his cigars his whole life.
    cabinetmaker:
    People have done worse things to cigars....look at Bill Clinton and his heinous treatment of a cigar...I heard he tried it with Hillary, but her balls kept getting in the way...
    Haha....nice :-)
  • 4bob44bob4 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 212
    I've heard of folks biting cigars but never done it my self. As for the licking seems like that would promote some burn issues but who knows.
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    Fourtotheflush:
    alienmisprint:
    What is a Ka-Bar?
    It's a knife that is issued to the Marines and Navy personnel. Ka-Bar is the company name. Here's a link to the wiki on it.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    A friends father licks the whole cigar before he lights it. It may have to do with making sure that it is not dry enough so that the cigar unwraps itself. I have bitten the cap if I didn't have a cutter, knife, punch, etc... However I prefer to just pinch off part of the cap at that point. I hate having bits of tobacco in my mouth.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    He probably started out smoking White Owls or whatever back in the day when they were dry as heck right out of the box.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    We had to do this at my bachelor party because no one brought a cutter. Of the 20 people there you would think ONE person would have some sort of cutting tool but nope.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Hugemoose:
    clearlysuspect:
    Now that would be a little different! But alas, I don't think that was his motive. He was an ex-marine from Vietnam. I suppose he just didn't like wasting time with a cutte....and that's probably how he is "cut" his cigars his whole life.
    OK.... Vietnam Marine.... well this makes sense now. Probably saw John Wayne do it in the movies and has done it ever sense.
  • KamelyonKamelyon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 109
    Hugemoose:
    He was an ex-marine from Vietnam. I suppose he just didn't like wasting time with a cutte....and that's probably how he is "cut" his cigars his whole life.
    Sounds like the kind of guy who can "suck a golfball through a garden hose"
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Ummmmm... I hope my girlfriend doesn't see this thread...

Oh, and I've done the fingernail cut to get the cigar going... but never bite, but then, I have a gap toof grin
  • jihiggsjihiggs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 468
    no need to bite a cigar in my opinion, but as for licking... yes there is. I have even heard of people running the cigar under the sink in very dry climates, without gettingt the foot wet that is. the wrapper is oily enough to not get saturated.
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    clearlysuspect:

Lol I think thats likely the case
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    I saw that Winston Churchill poked holes in the head with his matches to smoke them. I tried this yesterday w a boxed press 5 Vegas A. It didnt turn out too well. Im sure it would work better with non box pressed sticks.
  • SgtRickSgtRick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 75
    cabinetmaker:
    Now that's funny.