Home General Discussion

Recommendations for "Fuente Hemingway"-style cigars?

raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
I think after trying various brands that I've settled on Arturo Fuente Hemingways as just about my favorite smoke.

I think the key for me is the Cameroon wrapper. That sweet taste just does it for me, and the medium strength and spice level of the cigar in general is just perfect.

But I was wondering whether there were other non-flavored igars from other brands that share similar characteristics. I bought a fiver of La Aurora Preferido Cameroons recently, and while I like them a lot the wrapper still doesn't quite have the trademark sweetness that the Fuentes have.

In general, I tend to prefer full-bodied, less 'creamy/smooth' cigars with non-Connecticit wrappers with lots of spices, such as My Father, La Aroma de Cuba and Joya de Nicaragua. If you've discovered cigars that seem to have this Fuente 'sweet spot' and aren't an arm and a leg I'd like to hear about it. Wouldn't mind hearing opinions about Fuente seconds or overruns, either.

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Have you tried the .... Replica Series A. Fuente Hemingway?

I've never had the originals or replicas ... so IDK how similar they actually are ... but for the price, might be worth a try.

I've enjoyed the few CAO Cameroons I've smoked .... good cigar, can be had for ~$6. Again, IDK how the compare to the Hemingways though...
  • maymgmaymg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 47
    raisindot:
    I think after trying various brands that I've settled on Arturo Fuente Hemingways as just about my favorite smoke.

I think the key for me is the Cameroon wrapper. That sweet taste just does it for me, and the medium strength and spice level of the cigar in general is just perfect.

But I was wondering whether there were other non-flavored igars from other brands that share similar characteristics. I bought a fiver of La Aurora Preferido Cameroons recently, and while I like them a lot the wrapper still doesn't quite have the trademark sweetness that the Fuentes have.

In general, I tend to prefer full-bodied, less 'creamy/smooth' cigars with non-Connecticit wrappers with lots of spices, such as My Father, La Aroma de Cuba and Joya de Nicaragua. If you've discovered cigars that seem to have this Fuente 'sweet spot' and aren't an arm and a leg I'd like to hear about it. Wouldn't mind hearing opinions about Fuente seconds or overruns, either.
    Try the Man O' War line! The Side Project Little Devil has a ton of spice! At $5.40 a cigar, you really can't beat it!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    The Oliva G comes in one particular "hemingway" size very similar to a short story. I had a couple and was pleased.
  • mfotismfotis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    Gray4lines:
    The Oliva G comes in one particular "hemingway" size very similar to a short story. I had a couple and was pleased.
    I keep at least two boxes of the Oliva G's in stock at all times.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    The Fuentes really know how to use their Cameroon. Another obvious (?) choice would be their Don Carlos line. It also uses a Cameroon wrapper but is a parejo instead of perfecto and only costs a little more. I also love LFD's Cameroon Cabinet No. 1 and Chisel. Lastly, Benji Menendez at Partagas does really good work with Cameroon and is worth checking out (especially the Limited Reserve). Hope some of this helps.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    The sweetest non-infused cigar I have ever had is the CAO CX2, and it is also one of my favorite Cameroons.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    While I generally agree with all the selections mentioned, I've not yet found anything that would replace the Hemingway Signature for me, except maybe two of the short story's.