Home General Discussion

Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, question

Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
These are up on the DD today, if I weren't so broke from convalescing, I'd be ordering some. My question is, are these the same cigars we've been getting for the last few years, just dressed up? I've always liked these, it says "original" on it, was there an original that was changed and is now changed back? Either way, I'm glad it didn't go away, I've enjoyed many of them, and look forward to many more.

Comments

• Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Good question. I got one in a trade recently. Same name, different look,....... very different look.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    Yep....these are the same and I've bought a box full of them and let them rest...they NEED rest because ROTT they tend to smoke unbalanced...they are bit harsh and ammonia content on these are a bit high for some odd reason. I've smoked them from 30 days rest to 60 and there wasn't that much of a change...after 4 months they start to smoke better and after 6 months they are almost a different cigar altogether as they settle down and give off a much better complex profile. JMHO
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I hadnt seen the cc's new look. Thats cool, I really like these with some rest
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Cigary:
    Yep....these are the same and I've bought a box full of them and let them rest...they NEED rest because ROTT they tend to smoke unbalanced...they are bit harsh and ammonia content on these are a bit high for some odd reason. I've smoked them from 30 days rest to 60 and there wasn't that much of a change...after 4 months they start to smoke better and after 6 months they are almost a different cigar altogether as they settle down and give off a much better complex profile. JMHO
    Nice to know.
    Agreed about the rest, for sure. The first one I had was in the humi about 4 months, it was fantastic! A #4, I believe. I immediately ordered a mazo of robustos and a flight sampler. Couldn't wait and smoked one after only a week, what a disappointment! About 6 weeks out they start to get better, to me. As you said, a few months along and they really come into their own. I'll be getting some, after I've been back at work long enough. LOL
    We tend to get very anxious about our cigars and want to smoke them after we buy them...I get that and have been guilty of such when I started this hobby years ago. I was taught that in order for a cigar to be at its best we cultivate how best to store it, keep it at a constant RH and let it rest in a place best suited for it to be at it's best...as close to it's natural environment as possible. Resting cigars tends to make us very curious and impatient which I've found the only way to keep pace is to buy as many cigars as needed to rotate your "crop of cigars" so they can rest while smoking one that has been resting. I can't remember the last time I've had a bad cigar because of this rotation method..esp. with cigars we already like.
  • insomnniapbinsomnniapb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 590
    Yep the same thing. They changed the band a while ago, as others have said. Also true they need rest, but once they sit for a while they are a true hidden gem imo. You can't beat the price either!
    The history of this cigar when I first read about them perked my ears up...Estili region--Ecuadorian Habano Wrapper...made in the Oliva Factory. This doesn't mean it's an Oliva cigar but people would like to think so and there are other cigars that are rolled/made in a lot of the other 'named' factories where people want to jump up and say that if it's made there then it's the same cigar...not so fast. While this particular cigar is a cousin to the Oliva profile of maybe the Series O I wouldn't go out on a limb to say it is an Oliva. In its own right this cigar is truly a hidden gem and I can remember getting these cigars for next to nothing...$50 for a box and if you got ahold of the auctions even less. These are cigars you throw into a deep hibernation and let them sleep....just like a box of Padron 2000/3000/4000's. I have a box of Padrons that I've left alone for nearly a year and when I smoke them I have a big smile on my face...these things are pretty much a premium cigar that go for twice what they are bought for. Do yourselves a favor and throw two boxes of the Padrons in with the Sol Cubanos and enjoy them in a year...you'll thank me.