Home General Discussion

New Member! HELP!

maymgmaymg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 47
Hey everyone, I am pretty new to the cigar game. What are some suggestions of some good cigars for "beginners," if you will. I don't really have a specific price limit so any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• C-LOVEC-LOVE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    I'd just start with some samplers to find what you like.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    First off welcome to the forum. If you would like, shoot on over to the "newbie welcoming thread" and introduce yourself. I will put it near the top of the page

As far as good first. I think Gurkha Park Avenues are top notch. Not to strong but very flavorful. I'm sure there are some others that will be mentioned below.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    Welcome to the forum
    contact Tim "The Beard" Blythe at ccom and tell him you are new and he should be able to customize a sampler for you with a good selection and a good price. tblythe@cigar.com. Timbo is an expert and a legend.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    ShotgunJohn:
    Welcome to the forum
    contact Tim "The Beard" Blythe at ccom and tell him you are new and he should be able to customize a sampler for you with a good selection and a good price. tblythe@cigar.com. Timbo is an expert and a legend.
    ^^^^ You cant go wrong doing this.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Gurkha Park Ave connecticut, Cusano 18 connecticut, AVO Classic, 5 Vegas Classic, Montecristo White
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Ken Light:
    Room 101 Connecticut, Cusano 18 connecticut, AVO Classic, 5 Vegas Classic, Montecristo White
    fixed it for ya.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Welcome. I would recommend the CAO Black. It has a tad bit more flavor than most smokes that are usually suggested for "beginners" but I would be confident handing it to any first timer. Cigar.com Sprint Sale usually has them at great prices for a ten pack. I would also suggest that you find a local Cigar Shop where you can meet the owner/manager and ask questions and possibly smoke together. Where's your location? Maybe some of the guys here can even recommend a shop for you to visit.
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    Room 101 Connecticut, Cusano 18 connecticut, AVO Classic, 5 Vegas Classic, Montecristo White
    fixed it for ya.
    Kuzi, and the Gurkha Edit. LOL
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Bob Luken:
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    fixed it for ya.
    Kuzi, and the Ghurka Edit. LOL
    its not a newbie cigar because that may cause you to believe that the cigar in question is indicative of the brand in question. I dont want to lead new guys astray.
    kuzi16:
    Bob Luken:
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    fixed it for ya.
    Kuzi, and the Ghurka Edit. LOL
    its not a newbie cigar because that may cause you to believe that the cigar in question is indicative of the brand in question. I dont want to lead new guys astray.
    Say what?
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    lol, I think he's saying Park Ave's aren't bad, so it would be a shame if he decided to try more Gurkhas based on the Park Ave being good. If that's not what you were saying Kuzi, then I'm saying it because that's how I feel about it :-)
    Heavy:
    lol, I think he's saying Park Ave's aren't bad, so it would be a shame if he decided to try more Gurkhas based on the Park Ave being good. If that's not what you were saying Kuzi, then I'm saying it because that's what I think :-)
    I had an idea that's what he meant but the words just weren't lining up straight. LOL
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Bob Luken:
    Heavy:
    lol, I think he's saying Park Ave's aren't bad, so it would be a shame if he decided to try more Gurkhas based on the Park Ave being good. If that's not what you were saying Kuzi, then I'm saying it because that's what I think :-)
    I had an idea that's what he meant but the words just weren't lining up straight. LOL
    Are you inhaling your Mark Twains? ;)
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Bob Luken:
    Heavy:
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    My experience has been that it took me several months to develop any semblance of a palate, so give yourself some time to get used to the flavors and smells of smoking cigars. There are lots of threads here on what are good quality cigars and what to avoid, and what type of journey your taste buds may go on. Use the search function to find some of them. One important part is that you are going to like something that I might not so follow your own experience It's already been said but stick with samplers for awhile. Welcome to the forum!.
    Amos Umwhat:
    Bob Luken:
    Heavy:
    LOL
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    Roberto99:
    My experience has been that it took me several months to develop any semblance of a palate, so give yourself some time to get used to the flavors and smells of smoking cigars. There are lots of threads here on what are good quality cigars and what to avoid, and what type of journey your taste buds may go on. Use the search function to find some of them. One important part is that you are going to like something that I might not so follow your own experience It's already been said but stick with samplers for awhile. Welcome to the forum!.
    ^....well thought out and well said. Even though we're all enthusiasts about our cigars they do not taste the same to all of us...our palates tend to be different and where one thinks a particular cigars is amazing the next guy thinks it's the next thing to a dog turd. Experience is what is going to serve us and our tastes will develop over time...start with something mild and kind of train your sense of taste to what you are smoking. Samplers are a great way to "find" what you like and vitolas tend to help as well. Let's say if you smoke a panatella...you are going to get more 'wrapper' taste than if you smoked a Robusto or Churchill.....I like a lot of balance between my wrapper/filler/binder so I tend to smoke a corona size or Toro ...but that's just me. Welcome to a great Forum of people. I've been here a few months and have found these good men to be very welcoming and helpful...even when I stubbed my toe on here they were still very humble and giving.