Home General Discussion

What is it w/ Papas Fritas

FNAFNA Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 55
Why is a short fill mini-corona a $6 cigar ($5.40 a piece in 4-pack)?

part 2 - why would people pay $6 for a short fill (crushed, cubed, chopped and sliced for your smoking pleasure) mini-corona?

Comments

• thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,533
    dont know, but thats a good question for those that smoke it, since i dont LOL
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Yeah they are pricey for leftovers. I think they are tasty but after buying some after they came out, I'm done buying. There's plenty of other tasty, less expensive quick smokes out there. I think JD believes he has the Midas touch but there's no shortage of quality competition out there for this vitola.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    They are DE; thus, they can charge what they want and people will buy. What cracks me up even more is the DE lean at Halfwheel where a PF will get a higher score then fantastic smokes that are much better.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Bigshizza:
    Yeah they are pricey for leftovers. I think they are tasty but after buying some after they came out, I'm done buying. There's plenty of other tasty, less expensive quick smokes out there. I think JD believes he has the Midas touch but there's no shortage of quality competition out there for this vitola.
    catfishbluezz:
    They are DE; thus, they can charge what they want and people will buy. What cracks me up even more is the DE lean at Halfwheel where a PF will get a higher score then fantastic smokes that are much better.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They're a decent smoke.
    But the more I thought about it, I decided that I wouldn't buy more.

I don't give a rat's a$$ if it's leftover cuts from LPs, it's still short filler; trimmings; leftover; all tossed together to look nice.
    Too many other, long-filler, normal RG, better cigars for the price.
    And too many good cigarillos/mini-coronas that can be had for half the price (or less).

I've been thinking about it like this: would you pay the same price for a pack of hot dogs as you do for a nice pork loin?
    No?
    Why not?
    Hot dogs are just the "extra" leftover cuts from the same pig that delicious pork loin came from...

Cut the marketing BS already DE .... you have some good smokes but all the "hype" is starting to rub me the wrong way.
    I like your smokes, but these reviewers that put you on a pedestal and have a hard on for your brands are starting to annoy me....

And BTW .... I bought (1) 4-pack when they came out just to try it.
    It was a decent smoke, and I have considered buying more.
    But I only have so much $$$ to go around and I'm not wasting spending it on these.

Now, would I buy more at $2/cigar? Maybe. $1/cigar? Probably
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Curly Heads vs. Papas Fritas ... (doggy bagged Opus X vs. LP). Personally, I choose Curly Heads because they are fun.
  • StrongStyleStrongStyle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 221
    I love the Papas Fritas, but the Alec Bradley black market punk and various room 101 papi chulos have been my recent quick smokes.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    danielzreyes:
    Curly Heads vs. Papas Fritas ... (doggy bagged Opus X vs. LP). Personally, I choose Curly Heads because they are fun.
    Ive never had the Curly Heads. Do they actually taste like the regular Fuentes?
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Rhamlin:
    danielzreyes:
    Ive never had the Curly Heads. Do they actually taste like the regular Fuentes?
    It tastes like yellow Krylon.
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    Last one I had was more of a Semi-Gloss Black.... But in all seriousness .... I do like the "cheapy" AF stuff. CHD and 858 Maddy are good sticks. But on the matter of short filler..... Two of my daily smokes are Jose L Piedra and Quentero y Hermano (CC). Both are short/medium filler CC and are FANTASITC with only a year on them.... I am all about taste over name... I have burn issues with DE stuff but still love them to death.... just wont line Jon's pockets anymore for his Liga.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Yep box of 20 El Centurions for $110.00 pretty awesome stick for under $6.00!
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    Of course i had to buy the Papa Fritas to try them but that's about it. I wouldn't be purchasing them again. I'm not too crazy for the smoke and it's way over priced.... I rather purchase the Diesel Maduro Corona size which is 30 for $80.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Bigshizza:
    Yep box of 20 El Centurions for $110.00 pretty awesome stick for under $6.00!
    This. The reality is that the Papas Fritas are simply priced wrong. I can't/won't pay that price even with the fancy packaging. I really enjoy LP products, but not blindly.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    danielzreyes:
    i agree the curly heads are fun.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    I liked the papas frita I smoked. If they were half the price, I might be tempted to keep a few around for a lunch smoke. But as it stands, I won't buy any..... ok, maybe I will buy ONE tin, cause the tin is cool.... Stupid marketing gimmick, grumble grumble. Stupid weak will.

What disappointed me the most was I was actually looking forward to them. I love the LP flavor profiles, and thought it would be great to be able to have some of the taste at yard gar prices.... instead I would have to choose between this and some great smokes. Heck, even the undercrown costs almost the same per stick. Frustrating.
  • J.S.J.S. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 751
    I have not smoked them and I have no plans to. Why would you at the price? I like LP but for a short smoke that is comparable, I love Cohiba Peqnuenos among other quick smokes, to have on hand and at 30 for 60, long filler, etc. why should I buy what they are offering? I would be out even at 1.00 a stick but that is just me.
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    Eh I'll keep ordering the Tat PCR for my short smoke. I've enjoyed the LP smokes I've had, but DE likes them much more than I do.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    These have been very popular with a lot of people because of their size and their branding...people are loving anything DE puts out and they could probably bring out more with scrapings off of the floor and sell them by the name of DE Floor Sweepings and people would try to kill themselves buying them. Sometimes when a brand is popular they will start bringing out all different kinds of cigars ( Gurkha, RP, etc. come to mind ) and I've had a lot of DE lately. The PF is ok....the price point is ridiculous and when this brand burns itself out with the masses you'll see the price come down significantly. Why do they charge that much...because they can and people are buying it at that price is the short answer. When people do get their fill of a product that doesn't really match their tastes they move on to the next latest and greatest cigar...it's cigar evolution.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    IMO all ligas are just for hype!! A 6yr very limited cigar?? How many other companies have ever done that?? Just the hacks at de!! So have fun with a way to flavorful stick that kills your tasted buds and yeah if you like that try the cellar reserve I'm sure you'd like it
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    You'd probably get a lot of resistance with that opinion...not all ligas are hype and quite the contrary. Yes, some companys will hype their product to get business and that's usually with those who are starting out in this hobby but when they become experienced with cigars they won't be so easily fooled. You'd be surprised at how many manufacturers will keep tobacco at more than 6 years and use that to sell. Regardless of what brand I buy I use my taste buds to determine what I like....it just so happens that my taste buds like the most of the brand name cigars.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Lee.mcglynn:
    IMO all ligas are just for hype!! A 6yr very limited cigar?? How many other companies have ever done that?? Just the hacks at de!! So have fun with a way to flavorful stick that kills your tasted buds and yeah if you like that try the cellar reserve I'm sure you'd like it
    they are not an LE. they are a regular production cigar with a lower number of production. they feel like a LE but they are not.

they are not "all hype" but there is a huge amount of hype. i have never been a big DE fan as far as flavor profile goes but i do enjoy them when i am in the mood for that profile. they are very strong and i have been moving more and more to the medium body cigars as of late.

i have spent several hours talking with JD about tobacco and listened to him for a few more hours talking about it on his tour in Nicaragua and if you had been involved with those conversations you would know that JD is no "hack"
    the man knows what he is doing.

if you like the flavors and the style that come along with the DE brand then buy the cigars, but dont hate on the man just because you do not enjoy the brand. its not like its Gurkha. there is a soul in his cigars. you just may not be kindred spirits.
  • FNAFNA Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 55
    Thanx for the responses - I had forgotten where I posted I'm glad to many opinoins in line with my own.

Vission notes that he enjoys a couple of short filler CCs. I would ask if the short filler smokes are comparable or more expensive in price to other smokes of approximately the same size and shape.

It is the price that is my issue - I've smoked planty of short/mixed fill smokes that I have enjoyed - but not at twice the price of comparable long filler smokes.

One last thing - I'm not picking on Vision here but he notes "cheapy" such as the AF 858. You're playing into their hands. The 858 is a $5 smoke all day long. Just because there are $30 smokes, a $5 cigar doesn't somehow become cheap.