Home General Discussion

Freezing cigars

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
Exactly how cold should your sticks be when freezing them for beetles? Cause my sticks have been in the fridge at 34degrees due to a heat wave for the last couple days. Don't know if its safe to bring them back out. I miss seeing my humi on my dresser. Lol

Comments

• pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 429
    I'm guessin cold enough to keep ice cream. Lol
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    Prett damn close Tex! Yeah i found it in a thread from earlier... i couldnt find it on my phone. Its 1 degree or lower.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    I'm lookin' to hit zero degrees fahrenheit for at least 48 - 72 hours for a confirmed kill. That may be over-doing it but I don't care. I've got a link to some kind of science around here somewhere. PM to you.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    There is a science behind it. Want to be safe? Freeze a week, then 24 hours fridge, then 24 hours room temp, then humi, since you already have them in the fridge. Some companies freeze a month. The longer you freeze, the higher your kill rate is, even though they really only need 2-3 days.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,423
    Does freezeing not dry them out?
    Bob Luken:
    I'm lookin' to hit zero degrees fahrenheit for at least 48 - 72 hours for a confirmed kill. That may be over-doing it but I don't care. I've got a link to some kind of science around here somewhere. PM to you.

So that link was too good to not share...

http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-questions/272095-science-behind-freezing.html

I think this info was great! I dont have freezer bags... so would it be ok to use rubbermade containers? do you find freezing the sticks effecting their flavor/smokability? Like Onestrangeone asked... wouldnt this dry them out?
    I may have asked or read those questions before... but Cigars are something im really enjoying... i would really hate to lose any of the awesome bombs that were sent my way. lol
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I just use the ccom bags that come with the cigars. I freeze for 3 days.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    rwheelwright:
    I just use the ccom bags that come with the cigars. I freeze for 3 days.
    double bag. remove as much air as you can. i dont freeze cigars.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    LiquidChaos66:
    Bob Luken:

So that link was too good to not share...

http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-questions/272095-science-behind-freezing.html

I think this info was great! I dont have freezer bags... so would it be ok to use rubbermade containers? do you find freezing the sticks effecting their flavor/smokability? Like Onestrangeone asked... wouldnt this dry them out?
    Ziploc, double bag it, suck all the air out. Most collectors of a specific type cigar always freeze. It does not dry out the cigars at all. Main thing is letting them adjust to the temp change slowly. Beetles are nothing to worry about if you freeze or use temp control. I use temp control, so I stopped freezing. All it takes is one beetle to ruin enough cigars you'd wish you froze. To each his own, good luck man.
    Quick stick update.

My sticks came out of the freezer last night and will come out of the fridge tomorrow evening. So far so good! Into the humi on Monday and a week or so to sit in there before ligting up. Thank god for my pipes! Lol gives me something to puff on till they come out.
    LiquidChaos66:
    Quick stick update.

My sticks came out of the freezer last night and will come out of the fridge tomorrow evening. So far so good! Into the humi on Monday and a week or so to sit in there before ligting up. Thank god for my pipes! Lol gives me something to puff on till they come out.
    How many hours were they in the freezer? And do you know exactly how cold your freezer is? One more day or two in there wouldn't have hurt because if it ain't cold enough the eggs could possibly survive longer. The eggs are tougher than the beetles or the larvae and take longer to freeze to death.
    It was a 48 hour freeze total. I asked questions after it was already in process of freezing
    LiquidChaos66:
    It was a 48 hour freeze total. I asked questions after it was already in process of freezing
    Ah. OK. I feel better about your sticks now. LOL