Home General Discussion

What do you guys think about this?

mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
I have the opportunity to pick this up for 150. What do you guys think? I thought it would be cool in the basement, maybe built into the wall?

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I think thats the coolest thing ever and a steal for $150!!! Buy it now! And paint the sign UT orange, or make t say "Bone Crusher" LOL!
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Gray4lines:
    I think thats the coolest thing ever and a steal for $150!!! Buy it now! And paint the sign UT orange, or make t say "Bone Crusher" LOL!
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, too funny! Thanks for the feedback!
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    The Chewbaca of humidors? (You should name it Chewbaca now.) Is it a drink cooler converted to a humidor? What temp does it keep? What RH will it hold? Who? / Where were they using this thing? DETAILS PLEASE! Yeah IT'S VERY COOL! Lucky you!
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Gray4lines:
    +1

Looks pretty dang big, too.
    How many cigars you think you could fit in there, doc?

I say as long as there's no mold hiding in there --- go for it!!!!
    Dust it off and spray the glass with a little windex .... it will be spiffy !!!
    mmccartneydc:
    Gray4lines:
    Id seriously jump on that in a second... and then think how to haul it home later! Is it temp regulated? Humidity?
    Gray4lines:
    mmccartneydc:
    Gray4lines:
    Id seriously jump on that in a second... and then think how to haul it home later! Is it temp regulated? Humidity?
    Well so far what I have been able to find out is that yes it was a drink cooler previously, it is supposedly low on Freon but works. It is located about 2 hrs away from me so won't be til the weekend til I can get over to see it so that's about all I can do from here. The owner barely speaks English so getting much more than that has been difficult.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 585
    Love the Bonecrusher sign idea... colors may be off but those details can be worked out... and an appliance repair service could give you the estimated damage for a complete rebuild. If it is running no worries... but good to know the costs if it does poop out while in the basement. Bonecrusher thievery corporation should be in business!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Dude....that thing looks too cool. I'd expect to invest a good amount into it assuming its compressor, but you could easily dump $500 into that and have the coolest cabinet on earth...
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    How many different ways can I say "yes"?
    macs-smokes:
    Love the Bonecrusher sign idea... colors may be off but those details can be worked out...
    I knew matt was a Tennessee fan (I almost went there!) Id prefer Kentucky blue :) but it's his cigar-fridge. Lol!

Interesting that it is a repurposed fridge (sort of) good advice on seeing what a re-build would cost. I bet even if you had to gut everything, it would be way cheaper than a cabinet humi (and very original)
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    That's freaking awesome, Matt!! If you snag it I'll swing through on my way home from Myrtle Beach, grab the sign and repaint it with a "Bonecrusher" logo!
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    With the wineador brothers here I'm surprised no one has one yet. Go big and be proud. And of course keep us posted on your progress and how it works. You could be starting a new trend here. BTW...it would look great in scarlet and gray. GO BUCS!!!
    Poker Slob:
    With the wineador brothers here I'm surprised no one has one yet. Go big and be proud. And of course keep us posted on your progress and how it works. You could be starting a new trend here. BTW...it would look great in scarlet and gray. GO BUCS!!!
    trust me...I've looked. It comes down to temp and compressors. If the temp is too low it slows the aging process, and compressors suck air out. To offset the compressor you need electric humidity and tons of beads, which in this case would run $175. You also need tons of cedar to stabilize the environment as well. Main issue with a fridge unit is low temp.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I like it as is.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    catfishbluezz:
    Dude....that thing looks too cool. I'd expect to invest a good amount into it assuming its compressor, but you could easily dump $500 into that and have the coolest cabinet on earth...
    True ....

But if you're keeping it in the basement and temp's not a concern ....
    As long as it has a good seal, I would assume you could probably use it as is and just not plug it in.
    Toss in an electric humidifier and or some beads and a couple little fans and be good to go.

And keep your cigars in cedar boxes. Looks like there's a lot of room to stack and store them. Just thinking....
  • curtpickcurtpick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,600
    Its ugly... leave it alone... junk... leave it...

Where can I find it so I can "dispose" of it properly ! LOL
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,533
    mmccartneydc:
    I have the opportunity to pick this up for 150. What do you guys think? I thought it would be cool in the basement, maybe built into the wall?

buy it set it up and use it!! or i will where is it for sale?
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    mmccartneydc:

buy it set it up and use it!! or i will where is it for sale?
    As is its more like a garage piece ,,But you could really update it with some different skin. If you want to put it in the basement where its in more of a controlled environment, at least in most cases. One could use as is without turning on the compressor,, a simple incadescent bulb on a timer could help raise and regulate temps if thats a major concern. I prefer to store my smokes at a lower temp than 70 deg. I dont have any temp regulating devices in my coollidors, and they do a better job of regulating temp and humidity than do my humidors. True they might not age as quickly but I dont believe every cigar needs to be aged for 5 plus years either,, but Im not a cuban cigar afficionado either. Enjoy hope it works out,,,
    Edit,, be sure to check the seals!!
  • AVJimAVJim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 438
    Where are the kitty litter comments?!?!? Awesome Matt! I hope it is as great in person! Good luck!
  • CigarMan37CigarMan37 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 432
    How are you even thinking on this? JUMP
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    That's a great find! If it works even better but get a appliance give it the once over and go for it!!
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    True ....

But if you're keeping it in the basement and temp's not a concern ....
    As long as it has a good seal, I would assume you could probably use it as is and just not plug it in.
    Toss in an electric humidifier and or some beads and a couple little fans and be good to go.

And keep your cigars in cedar boxes. Looks like there's a lot of room to stack and store them. Just thinking....
    absolutely... In which case adding a bunch of cedar would make a tremendous improvement in stability.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Nice. That's all I can say about this. Nice.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    very cool! a bag of kitty litter and it'd be good to go imo, of course i wouldnt be able to leave it at that.... pull out the compressor and plumbing and add storage underneath. wire in led's under each shelf (low energy draw and cool temp lighting) ...now i want one!
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Is there an update to this? Did you get it? Did you pass on it?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Bob Luken:
    Is there an update to this? Did you get it? Did you pass on it?
    i think with a little love you can turn it into what you really want it to be. the real question is:
    is it worth the time/effort?
    i mean are you getting it because it looks cool or are you getting it because you want more space?

• RampMonkeyRampMonkey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,808
    I have to say that is a great find Matt. If you pull the trigger, keep us posted =D
    I did not pull the trigger bc it had been sold. I wasn't that disappointed though. The guy that owned it was extremely difficult to deal with plus I had to drive 2hours to get it. I got plenty of room currently, and will just save for my tower!
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    mmccartneydc:
    I did not pull the trigger bc it had been sold. I wasn't that disappointed though. The guy that owned it was extremely difficult to deal with plus I had to drive 2hours to get it. I got plenty of room currently, and will just save for my tower!

Plenty of room, I wish I could say that :). Nevertheless, if the owner was difficult in your eyes. Then it wasn't meant to be. I'm no good with bad customer service, period.
  • Chuck NChuck N Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 792
    Looks pretty cool. Buy it.