Home General Discussion

Your humidification

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
What are you currently using for humidification? What have you used in the past that's been a fail? I currently have a Dr. RH jar in my humi that's working great! But when I upgrade I'm not sure if I'm gonna go the same route or not. Input and ballpark cost on your suggestions?

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Kitty litter. Free if you PM me.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    Rain:

I've seen this mentioned quite a bit recently. How does that work? I mean seriously. How? Lol all I can think about right now is scooping out my humidor every few days when it gets clumpy and smelly. My cats would probably laugh at me. Silly human using the toilet for his cigars. I have to admit I'm kinda curious to see how it works.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    LiquidChaos66:
    Rain:

I've seen this mentioned quite a bit recently. How does that work? I mean seriously. How? Lol all I can think about right now is scooping out my humidor every few days when it gets clumpy and smelly. My cats would probably laugh at me. Silly human using the toilet for his cigars. I have to admit I'm kinda curious to see how it works.
    Well...you put it in your humi, add distilled water once every other month or so. That's about it...
    So it holds it at 70% give or take? It seems too good to be true. Lol
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Yup...a little less. One of my humi's it holds 69, another 65. I have my Avo/Davi?zino connys in the 69 and everything else in the other
    I assume there is a ratio you have to keep to depending on th size of the humi?
    Rain:

if my boss comes through with letting me borrow his old humidor I will totally hit you up! :)
  • Poopy JonesPoopy Jones Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 357
    I'm on kitty litter now. I'm using it in a small cooler and have the rh at 68 to 70. Purrrfect!!!
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    Alot of people on here are using kitty litter but i can't get myself to use it. I'm using Heartfelt beads that are set at 70%. I keep the beads in a small container for my bottom tray and the i've filled the rectangle humidification device that usually has moss in it with the beads for the lids of my humidor. I have a 300 ct humidor. it works like a charm... No mold, no issues, just perfection and easy maintenance....
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    edelrionyc:
    Alot of people on here are using kitty litter but i can't get myself to use it. I'm using Heartfelt beads that are set at 70%. I keep the beads in a small container for my bottom tray and the i've filled the rectangle humidification device that usually has moss in it with the beads for the lids of my humidor. I have a 300 ct humidor. it works like a charm... No mold, no issues, just perfection and easy maintenance....
    This was my stance for a long time. Then I found out I Could use less kitty litter and save space
    How much kitty litter is too little or too much though?
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    LiquidChaos66:
    I asked about "How Much" a while agao and you should read that thread for some good info on Kitty Litter. I just got through bumping it for Nathan earlier today.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/654013.aspx
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    LiquidChaos66:
    Also this thread I made lots of talky talk about Kitty litter :)

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/664646.aspx
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    i started using gel, i just couldnt get it to keep a consistent rh. i switched to heartfelt and still have it in my 300 count, i have to rewet those beads once about every two weeks and they stay at 70 on the top 69 at the bottom. my cooler has exquisicat kitty litter, i have not resprayed it since i set up my cooler, about 2 and a half months ago! i am a firm believer in the litter!
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    I use 70% rated beads + Humicare pillows. Both my Humi's stay between 62%-68% depending on the season. Beads are cheap and last a long long time. Humicare Pillows come free with every C.Com order. (I use them when its too dry. They help supplement the beads). I have used the foam "Humidifiers" in the past. They suck. (They can get moldy really easily and they just don't work well IMHO).
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I used to use heartfelt beads (65%) but when I started a cooler I switched to kitty litter. I'd prefer it over HF now. I actually get less dust using the KL. Price is a huge bonus too.

any method will work with proper care and seasoning properly in the first place is a huge determinate of a stable rh.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I had been using the humicare gel humidifiers and they do work well but they can take drastic spikes in either direction. Just started on the kitty litter but haven't mastered it yet.
    Hmmmmm I may have to consider litter when I upgrade to a bigger humi.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    LiquidChaos66:
    Hmmmmm I may have to consider litter when I upgrade to a bigger humi.
    I think it's worth a try, for the price alone