Home General Discussion

I cried a little inside tonight...

WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
T.J. and I occasionally work for a catering company as a side job. Tonight we worked a fancy Art Ball at an art museum. It was a high dollar charity event that included dinner, drinks, band and a cigar bar. During clean up at the end of the night I was appalled at the EXTREME AMOUNT of premium cigars including but not limited to, Montecristos, Arturo Fuente, including Opus X Lost City, Kristoff, Aj Fernandez and so on smashed in the ashtray after only a few puffs. It just blew my mind. Do so many people have such little respect for the cigar world? Did I judge to harshly?

Comments

• Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Reminds me of John Hiatts song, Perfectly Good Guitar.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,423
    Money and good taste don't always mix, that's just my opinion
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,533
    WhoDeyGal:
    T.J. and I occasionally work for a catering company as a side job. Tonight we worked a fancy Art Ball at an art museum. It was a high dollar charity event that included dinner, drinks, band and a cigar bar. During clean up at the end of the night I was appalled at the EXTREME AMOUNT of premium cigars including but not limited to, Montecristos, Arturo Fuente, including Opus X Lost City, Kristoff, Aj Fernandez and so on smashed in the ashtray after only a few puffs. It just blew my mind. Do so many people have such little respect for the cigar world? Did I judge to harshly?
    we must hold a moment of silence for these fallen brethren, they where abused and mistreated, in the hands of mad men, ...........
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    WhoDeyGal:
    even rich people are stupid. most of them were probably smoking a cigar because they wanted to portray an image.
    one they lit the cigar incorrectly and had a mouth full of hot bitter smoke they put it out and wondered how anyone liked cigars.
    since it was a charity event they probably didnt even have to pay for those smokes and had no clue what they were or what they cost.
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    thats sad! but...did you score any good smokes?
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    That's what I was wondering. Did anyone pass on thier cigar and leave it behind to be adopted into a good home? (Your humidor)?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    I've worked events like this for my shop. The owner always asks myself, or one other guy, to works shows for him in exchange for cigars. Every single corporate event, private event, etc..., I have worked I see this. It sucks. The best part of those events though???? Telling half the stuck up dbags there that the Cohiba's they are smoking are fake, and then watching them power through a banana leaf dog turd acting like it must be real because the glass top box said so.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    I worked in the pro shop/course for the local country club from 14 to 18, which was a fantastic job though it paid almost nothing. But it did teach me that money does not always equal intelligence or taste. The wealthiest guy I knew (inherited a multi-national company) was completely dialed in on his business...but on everything else he was an ignorant d-bag. He was such a bad tipper and had so little taste that he'd order Johnnie Blue but the bartenders would give him bottom shelf Jack Daniels and he never knew the difference. I did get to drive his 1950-something Porche when he was too drunk to drive home one night, and wife number three was something to see...
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    catfishbluezz:
    I've worked events like this for my shop. The owner always asks myself, or one other guy, to works shows for him in exchange for cigars. Every single corporate event, private event, etc..., I have worked I see this. It sucks. The best part of those events though???? Telling half the stuck up dbags there that the Cohiba's they are smoking are fake, and then watching them power through a banana leaf dog turd acting like it must be real because the glass top box said so.
    Too funny...why do people choose to live up to negative stereotypes? It's beyond me...
  • WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    Unfortunately, I didn't score any smokes. They were all prelit and left lifeless in the ashtrays.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    I go to events where a lot of the older men commonly smoke only half of their cigars. And I'm getting to the point (financially) where I don't feel I "have" to smoke the entire cigar. Timing is a concern. Perhaps they smoke while there and just left the stick when they left. There is a certain etiquette about walking out with a drink or cigar that still exists. Not everyone is as anal about cigars as we are. LOL
  • T.J. ArmstrongT.J. Armstrong Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 256
    I know that some people were just smoking for the look and some did the short smoke while in that area, but it was still sad to see some great smokes hardly smoked or mashed into oblivion. They were selling the cigars to the guests, but it was at a pretty good discount. I think the local liquor store brought some greats sticks and marked them down to get some exposure. Opus X Lost City was like $10, and the Romeo y Juileta I hadn't seen before in a tubo was like $8 or something. It definitely smelled great out there when I had to run out to check on the bar there. It made me want to kick back and join them.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    This always made me laugh. Makes me love her even more!

• RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    kuzi16:
    WhoDeyGal:
    even rich people are stupid. most of them were probably smoking a cigar because they wanted to portray an image.
    one they lit the cigar incorrectly and had a mouth full of hot bitter smoke they put it out and wondered how anyone liked cigars.
    since it was a charity event they probably didnt even have to pay for those smokes and had no clue what they were or what they cost.
    What a bummer, it probably would have turned my stomach to. But it's like Kuzi said
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    kuzi16:
    WhoDeyGal:
    Yep.
    Just goes to show you, there are some things money can't buy ....
    Bet these are the same people who would pay MSRP for Gurkha's because they're the "Rolls Royce of cigars"

Money ? taste