Home General Discussion

My first cigar

ejasenovicejasenovic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 64
Hey all. I was looking over my humidor this morning and thought about how I got into cigars in the first place. (Please feel free to share your stories also!) I also thought of this story because this friend that got me into cigars is now moving to KANSAS for more schooling...gonna miss him. But C'est la Vie.

I had a wedding gig with a fellow saxophone player/friend of mine in October. After the gig we wanted to hang so we decided to go to NY city (45 min drive) and hang/drink/whatever. However, as we start driving, we realize that is a bit expensive and we're a little more tired than we realized. So...after debating on what to do, my buddy turns to me and says "Hey...why not get some cigars and hang at my place". I stopped and thought "hmm...well I don't like cigarettes....but what the hell". We stopped at a convenience store with a pretty good selection...and of course I don't know what the hell I'm looking at. All I can remember is seeing another friend's CRAZY selection at his place and the name "Romeo y Julieta" rings a bell. I grab a 1875 bully, we grab a bottle of port and head to his place.
Sitting around my buddy's fire pit, he explains to me how to cut it and how to light it and all that good stuff. And about a quarter way through the cigar...I'm in love. Ha! Who woulda thought?! We had a great night and just this past March, I bought my 1st humidor and a bunch of samplers. Needless to say...I'm hooked.

Comments

• Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Nice story. It's nice that you had a good friend and guide to help you with that first cigar.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I second that. My first cigar if you want to call it that was a backwoods when I was 16. My buddy's step dad gave us some when we were camping. I liked it then but now, ick!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    ejasenovic:
    All I can remember is seeing another friend's CRAZY selection at his place and the name "Romeo y Julieta" rings a bell.
    Hey, who is this friend with the CRAZY selection you speak of?
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 585
    Well cigar education started... (mine started And still continuing) were was the schooling?
  • ejasenovicejasenovic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 64
    rwheelwright:
    ejasenovic:
    All I can remember is seeing another friend's CRAZY selection at his place and the name "Romeo y Julieta" rings a bell.
    Hey, who is this friend with the CRAZY selection you speak of?
    I think you know...Only guy I know that has a crazy amount AND a gun safe for his horns/cigars...Speaking of, Now that I'm into this I'll have to come over sometime and re-examine your goods...
    macs-smokes: He lived in Maplewood, NJ...Now going to KU for Saxophone Performance.
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 429
    I'm Too old to remember my first cigar.
    Hey ejasenovice; Grew up in Union hill. Lived in Hopatcong before thankfully leaving it for good.
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    my first cigar was an acid 1400 recommended by the man a little liquor store up the street, it was on my anniversary and right around the day i started using this forum! theres no looking back now!