Home General Discussion

stinky jr problems

taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
i think my stinky jr ashtray has about had it... the Chrome is coming off in the bottom of the bowl and it is rusting/pitting. At this rate ill have to get a new ashtray before the year is out due to this one rusting through, and i dont feel like putting a coating down to stop it, because imo this thing should have lasted much longer; ive yet to own it a year.

anybody else have this happen?

Comments

• macs-smokesmacs-smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 585
    I know they are not that expensive... but if it truly holds sentimental value... can be media blasted and re-chromed. I don't know how much as I can cheat and do the blasting myself and I would powder coat it lasts well.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    That stinks. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.) I've got one too that's still pretty new but seeing this will make me keep it cleaned out real good in hopes it will last longer. Just curious, did you leave it outside much? I've also got a stinky tall that has brown paint and I think the heat from the short stogies is making the paint bubble around the stirrups and I fear it will rust after the paint peels off. I bought small brass pot at a junk store and I bent a copper wire to hang on the rim to serve as a cigar rest or stirrup. It works just like a stinky. And for two bucks :) Wish I'd come up with that idea before I bought either one of the stinky's.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    its more frustrating than anything else; after a crappy day this tops it off. i guess i could pull out the air compressor and sand kit but it probably would be more work than it'd be worth. I guess ill wait till i can find another good deal/combo for one.
    Bob Luken:
    That stinks. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.) I've got one too that's still pretty new but seeing this will make me keep it cleaned out real good in hopes it will last longer. Just curious, did you leave it outside much? I've also got a stinky tall that has brown paint and I think the heat from the short stogies is making the paint bubble around the stirrups and I fear it will rust after the paint peels off. I bought small brass pot at a junk store and I bent a copper wire to hang on the rim to serve as a cigar rest or stirrup. It works just like a stinky. And for two bucks :) Wish I'd come up with that idea before I bought either one of the stinky's.
    its been outside a good bit but its always under the eave of the roof and doesn't really det more than a few drops on/in it.
  • Poopy JonesPoopy Jones Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 357
    I don't have a Stinky Jr but I do have the big Stinky and have had no problems with the chrome finish. Still looks like new
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    taythegibs:
    Bob Luken:
    its been outside a good bit but its always under the eave of the roof and doesn't really det more than a few drops on/in it.
    Even if it doesn't get rained on directly, I'm wondering if the ash and stogies that you may leave in the bottom of the bowl attract condensation and hold that moisture in the bottom of the bowl.
    Bob Luken:
    taythegibs:
    Bob Luken:
    Even if it doesn't get rained on directly, I'm wondering if the ash and stogies that you may leave in the bottom of the bowl attract condensation and hold that moisture in the bottom of the bowl.
    i try to clean it out the morning after i use it, but that is a good point.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    danielzreyes:
    Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)
    Please tell me that's not orange cream with chocolate? What is it?
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    High heat BBQ/stove paint should due the trick. Should have it at any automotive store. Just grab a can of brake cleaner to hit it with first to degrease.
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    I don't have one of these, but chrome even cheap coatings shouldn't be coming off after less than a year. You sure this didn't get months and months of left outside in super wet conditions with a full bowl of water and Ashes in a high humidity area? Unless they are using Chinese chrome methods, this shouldn't happen. Buy American, oh wait you can't anymore, all you can get is cheap break in 2 weeks low labor Chinese garbage.
    its been a mixture of orlando florida and here in nw ga so the humidity has been pretty high, usually when i clean it out ill leave it turned upside down so that the bowl doesn't fill up. Oh, and its made in India not China, lol.