Home General Discussion

Butane lighter issue. Advice?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
I have a dual torch butane lighter. My issue is I can't get a good flow on the flame unless I crank it out to a solid limp flame. If it is turned down to torch like settings it sputters a lot and one of the flames is sognificantly shorter than the other. Do I need a new torch or is ther a way of cleaning it or a remedy to this issue?

Comments

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Try compressed air to blow out the burners. Also, purge the tank. If compressed air doesn't work I was told that using a can of butane has more pressure and might dislodge anything in there. Just push the nozzle onto the burners and let the gas come out.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    same type of thing was happening to me and i didn't realize that you have to bleed it every time you refill it. once i started doing that it was fixed.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    Ill give those a shot. I personally haven't filled it yet. It was a gift from a friend and I've only used it 5-6 times maybe. Any tips for bleeding it or is google a good resource for it?
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    LiquidChaos66:
    Ill give those a shot. I personally haven't filled it yet. It was a gift from a friend and I've only used it 5-6 times maybe. Any tips for bleeding it or is google a good resource for it?
    The way I do it is hold the lighter upside down ...
    And press down the little nozzle (where you'd fill it up with butane) using a small screwdriver...
    You should hear the old butane coming out, do that until it's empty

Then when that stops and you think it's empty, shake it up, and do that one more time to get any little butane that was left....

Then you can refill with new butane.
    jgibv:
    LiquidChaos66:
    The way I do it is hold the lighter upside down ...
    And press down the little nozzle (where you'd fill it up with butane) using a small screwdriver...
    You should hear the old butane coming out, do that until it's empty

Then when that stops and you think it's empty, shake it up, and do that one more time to get any little butane that was left....

Then you can refill with new butane.
    What's the chance that the filler nozle on the lighter would get damaged? Would you recommend a Phillips of flat head? I have an assortment of each. It's a nice little lighter with a built in punch so I would hate to destroy it before getting any real use out of it.
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,533
    something small enough to press the fill inlet, not hard should just apply enough till you hear the hisss,
    you will always get some risidual gas thats expanding after you thinks it's empty,
    once you do it once and get passed this stage it will be a breeze for you
    I'm still debating if I want to get a new one anyway. Do you guys think multiple torches is a good move or a single torch system? My main question about that would be what your thoughts are on single flame torches as opposed to multi flame units.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    LiquidChaos66:
    What's the chance that the filler nozle on the lighter would get damaged? Would you recommend a Phillips of flat head? I have an assortment of each. It's a nice little lighter with a built in punch so I would hate to destroy it before getting any real use out of it.
    I have a real small flat head that I use, but like djfish said --- use whatever will fit, doesn't even have to be a screwdriver I suppose.

I have "bled" mine more time than I can remember and the lighter still works like new .... If you're pressing hard enough to damage the filler nozzle .... then you're pressing too hard, LOL.

LiquidChaos66:
    I'm still debating if I want to get a new one anyway. Do you guys think multiple torches is a good move or a single torch system? My main question about that would be what your thoughts are on single flame torches as opposed to multi flame units.
    I have 3 lighters, all single torches LOL. I keep 1 in the golf bag, 1 by the front door and 1 by the back door.

Never used a multi flame, but whenever one of these dies I might pick up a soft flame just to try it out.
    I know it's all a matter of preference too. My concern is over toasting one spot with a multi torch lighter. Practice I guess lol. I was thinking about a soft flame lighter too. Just not sure yet. Matches go out to easily and take a couple strikes sometimes.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Ummmm what butane are you using?? If ronson well it's crap!! Buy vector and it will work a ton better
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    Buying good butane is a must Chris. My opinion on mutl-flame jets...they burn through butane twice as fast as a single jet.
    I was hoping someone would make some butane brands... I couldn't remember which one i had. I am using Vektor.
    * name not make. Jeez. I hate typing from my phone. Lol
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Bryan Glynn from cigarobsession had a nice video where he talked about issues with his lighter. He found out that his problem came from older butane. I think he said it was sitting for a year or so. Anyway he got a new one and everything was okay. So it might be that. I noticed my lighter working better after dumping my old stuff and getting new stuff. I was using vector as well. Sort of strange but it worked. I also use a qtip to clean out my jets every so often to get the grime off. I've been using my perdomo table tri lighter for years without any issues. Best damn lighter I've ever had, and I won it! I did like the opus x lighter from this year, but 160 bucks was too much IMO.
    I bled out my lighter, blew out the nozzles, and refilled the lighter... Its performing a lot better than it was before. still has a slight sputter but i think maybe with a little more time to let the butane warm up a bit it should be just fine! Thanks a million guys! :)
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    LiquidChaos66:
    I was hoping someone would make some butane brands... I couldn't remember which one i had. I am using Vektor.
    I'm glad your lighter is working better! Try new butanes. For me Xikar has been flawless, Zippo is bad, Jetline has been good for me. Only 3 I have tried. I think Colibri is good too.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I have some Vector, Xikar, Prometheus and Colibiri. I used to use only Vector but my Xikar lighter still clogged up. I bought some Xikar fluid for it but I haven't sent the lighter back to get fixed yet.
    Oddly I found last night that the button on my torch is fairly pressure sensitive. It has the control dial on the bottom for flame size so I assumed that's all there really was. If I hold back on the button a but it gives a really nice even smooth flame. :)