Home General Discussion

How do you "Puff" your cigars?

0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 188
I have been enjoying cigars for a few months now and I have started to learn and realize the specifics in the make up of cigars that make them a horrible, good, better or best smoke - obviously in my opinion based on my taste buds.

when I first started puffing on stogies I would constantly take 2 or 3 little puffs to get the cigar going before taking one big pull, feeling my mouth as much as possibly with hot, thick smoke. I enjoyed this method and could always taste the different nuances as well as the change at different points throughout the smoke so I never thought anything more about the way I was smoking.

Lately I have, for whatever reason, eliminating the "build up" puffs which got the cigar going before and started just doing little - one at a time - puffs which don't create near the smoke that I was experiencing before. But I have noticed that this one puff method really brings out the flavors of the cigar at a much higher level then what I was doing before. I don't know why this would be other then I must be getting more of the wrapper and filler flavors with cooler smoke rather then hot ash mixed in. There now nothing better for me then taking a quick puff, exhaling and then tasting exactly what I feel was intended in regards to flavor by the maker of each cigar.

In regards to the methods behind puffing cigars does this make sense and how would you all compare your puffing methods and habits to this?

Comments

• GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    I have noticed that those "build up puffs" can make the smoke bitter so I switched to one at a time.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    To me it depends on the cigar and the shape it's in... Here in Wisconsin it's super humid right now so I have to take extra time between puffs to let it cool a little bit but not let it go out (tough trick that I typically fail at) and some cigars can taste better/worse due to the temperature of the smoke...
  • AQUADGIO1200AQUADGIO1200 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    i second that....multiple puffs before a larger palate filling one creates a hot burning cigar and makes for an unpleasant experience.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i do one very light pre-puff then one long easy draw on it.
  • 4bob44bob4 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 212
    kuzi16:
    i do one very light pre-puff then one long easy draw on it.
    Ditto. I like to heat the oils (at least that's what I tell myself) just a little before a long slow draw. But one little puff first doesn't make it too hot IMO.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    When I have a cigar, it's usually at night, so I can see the burn ring on the wrapper. I do a small quick puff, then a long draw while watching the burn ring start to glow and begin snaking it's way around the end of the wrapper, like a ring of fire. But then I start to notice canoeing, and then I try to correct it with a puff, and then I over puff too soon and then it's over burned, and then I have to purge it and wait... Damn my Obsessive Compulsive Cigar-der
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 728
    Lasabar:
    To me it depends on the cigar and the shape it's in... Here in Wisconsin it's super humid right now so I have to take extra time between puffs to let it cool a little bit but not let it go out (tough trick that I typically fail at) and some cigars can taste better/worse due to the temperature of the smoke...
    Where in wisconsin are ya? im in madison. Yea, the humidity is insane here. I measured it at about 88 yesterday!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    I ususally take either a long puff or a pre puff depending on how the cigar is burning and the flavor I am getting out of it. I really dont think about it too much, just go with my instinct at the time. But the thing I would change about what you are doing is you quickly exhale the smoke, I would, or I do hold the smoke in my mouth letting the flavors hit my palate and taste buds. I still havent mastered cycling through my nose, Ill let others comment on that.
  • MarkHMarkH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 120
    I've been reading Bruce Catton's biography of U.S. Grant and I ran across this section last night where Gen. Sherman and Grant are sitting discussing strategy and smoking:

"Grant leaned back, taking his ease, smoking meditatively, enjoying it; Sherman got at it with energy , as if it were a duty to be finished in the shortest imaginable time, destroying his cigar as rapidly as possible"

Grant would load up his coat pockets with 20 cigars at the beginning of the day and often run out, especially when he was on a military campaign.

Thought the reference was pretty funny.
  • TheShaunTheShaun Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 425
    Interesting discussion on it here. http://www.cigar.com/cs/blogs/alex_ccom/archive/2008/07/09/7610.aspx

Also the comments section got some attention.
  • nsezellnsezell Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    I've always done the puff, puff, draw thing. But lately I've noticed that it does make for a harsher cigar at the end. I usually smoke at night, too, so I get OCD with the burn like y'all were saying. I think tomorrow I'll try the shorter puffs and see what happens. I guess I was thinking that a single draw wouldn't keep the wrapper burning as much and it'd put itself out...TIME FOR AN EXPERIMENT!
  • The_SirThe_Sir Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6
    You know for me, its all about the long draw. I generally smoke a cigar to unwind after a long day and if i take a bunch of short puffs its like I am rushing through. So once I get it lit, its a nice long slow draw to relax through the smoking experience.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I have tried both and to be honest, I prefer the long draw method. The puff puff method seems to heat up my cigar and make the taste bitter and unpleasant. And if you are smoking an expensive cigar, the last thing I want is a bitter taste in my mouth.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    nightmaremike31:
    When I have a cigar, it's usually at night, so I can see the burn ring on the wrapper. I do a small quick puff, then a long draw while watching the burn ring start to glow and begin snaking it's way around the end of the wrapper, like a ring of fire. But then I start to notice canoeing, and then I try to correct it with a puff, and then I over puff too soon and then it's over burned, and then I have to purge it and wait... Damn my Obsessive Compulsive Cigar-der

lol, this is me exactly.
  • magicsevenmagicseven Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 33
    I like to take long draws.

Here in WI also.  Live in Janesville, work in madison. 

Hey Nyhcx516x the tasting room has a cigar event on thursday.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    For me it depends on the cigar. Even the best sticks have some inconsistencies.
    Some are rolled a little tighter then some others. Sometimes the length of the stick will have a deciding factor. Some smaller ring, longer sticks like a Corona or Lancero will never require a priming puff to get the cigar to perform properly.
    RH can also play a part in the way a stick will burn or "smoke" for me.
    I think someone else here said that it is basically up to the individual stick they are smoking, and I'm in that camp.
    I do stop using the priming puff(s) (when I'm using it)on a stick once it gets down to about halfway as usually they no longer need the prime and it does cause the smoke to get too hot from the mid point on. IMO