Home General Discussion

New Cabinet Humi

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
So after losing my last one, I felt it was time to look at another one. Well I found one I really like.
image.

There is this one that I found and two places are selling it. It all depends on the quotes from both really. Anyway the reason I'm even bringing this up is because with this one, there is a 2nd area that looks enclosed at the bottom. While I do like this idea I am wondering how to go about seasoning it. My last one had shelves all the way down.

I'm wondering if I just put a small bowl of water on each shelf, then in the cubby at the bottom and let it sit for about a week it should work? Though I used a cigar oasis XL with my last one, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with just using beads in a cabinet? I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Comments

• brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    I'm sensing a bump of the kitty litter thread......
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,533
    brianetz1:
    I'm sensing a bump of the kitty litter thread......
    thats a nice one, i had seen that in black and debated on it, but waiting till i move at end of year
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Wow! Looks great. I dont know anything ab seasoning though. I imagine beads would help stabilize. And why not use the active unit in this one, or did it get covered in toilet water? :(

with that enclosure, it'll probably be like seasoning two separate humis.
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 429
    With that kind of investment get yourself an electronic humidification system. Try: http://vigilantinc.com/cigarhumidors/
    they sell electronic systems designed for large cabinets.
  • jfacianejfaciane Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 242
    No advice for you but I wanted to tell you, that is one nice humi!
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,372
    Damn that is really nice, makes mine look tiny. Can't wait to c u fill it up.
  • prosspross Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    pilgrimtex:
    With that kind of investment get yourself an electronic humidification system. Try: http://vigilantinc.com/cigarhumidors/

I agree, but can the electronics be used to season?

• RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    pross:
    pilgrimtex:

I agree, but can the electronics be used to season?

i don't see why it wouldn't
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    very nice! my wife would kill me!!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    reggie713:
    very nice! my wife would kill me!!
    Fo sho there Reggie! You'd have to follow her around with a shovel
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    As soon as I am out of my PhD program, thats what Im buying
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Thanks for the responses. Yeah I think I'm going to get the Avallo Accumonitor Humidifier system. Mainly cuz I don't want to deal with the oasis again and beads like before. Anyway should be getting this all put together in the next few weeks. Sad thing is the insurance is dragging its feet. Eh, what ever my smokes need a home. I'll post pics when it's all set up, looking forward to this humi. Decided to probably go through cubancrafters on this.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    KL=$20 for that thing... I would not trust an electric unit distributing evenly in something that size. I know several cabinet owners that simply use beads and standing cups of distiller water. For seasoning? No different...it's a humidor, just bigger.
    Really? Just beads? I don't know anyone personally with a large humi however from what I have read something this big an active system with some type of fan system is preferred. I wouldn't mind using just beads, I mean it would save me some money however even 4 pounds of beads is like 130 bucks if I get the heartfeld stuff. So you're saying just beads will be okay? That would be nice.
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 429
    Whatever you do make sure you're set in your mind. What we say is just words. You gotta live with your decision so study the issue. Search all over and don't let one of us lead you down a primrose path that you may resent in the future.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    phobicsquirrel:
    Really? Just beads? I don't know anyone personally with a large humi however from what I have read something this big an active system with some type of fan system is preferred. I wouldn't mind using just beads, I mean it would save me some money however even 4 pounds of beads is like 130 bucks if I get the heartfeld stuff. So you're saying just beads will be okay? That would be nice.

Or you could get like 10 pounds of Kitty Litter Pearls for 12 Bucks??
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    catfishbluezz:
    KL=$20 for that thing... I would not trust an electric unit distributing evenly in something that size. I know several cabinet owners that simply use beads and standing cups of distiller water. For seasoning? No different...it's a humidor, just bigger.

Yea what he said .... LOL
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    If you're going to buy that cabinet, get someone who has electronics experience. That needs fans, whether they are timer controlled or humidity controlled, that beast needs some help. Unless you are going to have bead bags placed in every horizontal and vertical square foot. Wire in some fans on a timer, and you can use whatever humidification media you want. I would go with litter pearls our beads as a second option. Beautiful humi but don't use a junk mold promoting active humidifier in that beautiful expensive cabinet.
    In my experience, I have seen and heard too much mold issues in cabinet with electric units. This had to be due to circulation and creating over humidified areas. Most people combine them with beads to regulate. I mean really....I see no reason why KL wouldn't work. I look at these like a live console for sound engineers. The only difference between a 4ch board and a 48ch board...is more channels. It's still a humi, and even if it needs electric help, I'd still spend $20 on KL first and start there.... You're going to want beads anyways.
    blurr:
    If you're going to buy that cabinet, get someone who has electronics experience. That needs fans, whether they are timer controlled or humidity controlled, that beast needs some help. Unless you are going to have bead bags placed in every horizontal and vertical square foot. Wire in some fans on a timer, and you can use whatever humidification media you want. I would go with litter pearls our beads as a second option. Beautiful humi but don't use a junk mold promoting active cheapo humi in that beautiful expensive cabinet.
    fans wired on timers is what I would be checking out for sure man. That's gotta be huge in consistency.
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    Sound and electronics. 2 nerds who have been there with much smaller but still big wine fridges. Even distribution of humidity and circulation will be a big issue in that size. But you can do it with a little help. PC fans are your friend. Along with silica.
    blurr:
    Sound and electronics. 2 nerds who have been there with much smaller but still big wine fridges. Even distribution of humidity and circulation will be a big issue in that size. But you can do it with a little help. PC fans are your friend. Along with silica.
    yeah dude...been making my own cables, wiring pedals, speakers, and amps for years lol. Did ou check your PM's?
    Yeah I think I'll still go with the active unit. It comes with fans and such. My old one wasn't as big so I only had 2 fans off my oasis but I did have beads as well. If I wasn't a cheap ass I'd buy one at my local, though I'm not rich and 6000 isn't exactly what I want to spend for a humi.
    kingjk729:
    phobicsquirrel:

Or you could get like 10 pounds of Kitty Litter Pearls for 12 Bucks??
    lol, yeah saw that fresh step had a good sale at my local food store.