Home General Discussion

Breath IN or OUT before puffing?

casmangcasmang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 31
So, I have asked around to see what other people do, so I will ask here :) My wife used to smoke cigarettes back in the day. So, when she smokes a cigar, she feels the urge to inhale, which is a big no-no. So, this causes her to NOT want to smoke cigars :( Anyway, I told her to take a full breath in, just before puffing, so she is not able to inhale...and it worked out! Anyway, my question to you all is...do you...

A. Tend to breath out before puffing on your cigar, and expel the smoke with just your mouth

or

B. Breath in before puffing and then blow the smoke out with a air?

I have recently changed to B also so that I would have less smoke in my eyes which sometimes get irritated.

Comments

• SgtRickSgtRick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 75
    I don't inhale at all. Just enjoy the nice smoke. In fact I just finished a nice Cohiba Siglo II. Outstanding!
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I always take about half a breath before I take a draw, then hold the smoke in my outh for a few moments then blow it out slowly. About every 2nd or 3rd puff I'll blow about half the smoke out my nose. You can pick up on a lot of more subtle flavors by doing this.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I use my tongue to block the back of my throat, and inhale through my nose as I draw on the cigar. Then I just open my mouth, and exhale after a bit, cycling through my nose part of the smoke.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    PuroFreak:
    I always take about half a breath before I take a draw, then hold the smoke in my outh for a few moments then blow it out slowly. About every 2nd or 3rd puff I'll blow about half the smoke out my nose. You can pick up on a lot of more subtle flavors by doing this.

I'm the same way, about a half breath in before the draw, then sometimes I'll trap the smoke in my mouth and breath more in through my nose and let out a long slow breath of smoke, with the alternating "through the nose" technique. I loved cigars from the get go, but then I learned that technique, and a whole new world of cigars opened up. I noticed I actually found more to like in cigars that I didn't necessarily enjoy as much.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 972
    I breathe in about 3/4 of my capacity ;) before a puff, then puff, then exhale slowly and sometimes through the nose. If smoke is too much for me - I just blow it all out... I always try to keep it in my mouth for at least 2 seconds though...
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    I don't do anything through the nose. Not even back when I used to smoke cigarettes or anything else did I ever enjoy blowing smoke through my nose. I just enjoy puffing on a cigar, enjoying the taste of it and blowing the smoke right out almost as soon as I bring it in. Perhaps, once or twice during a cigar, I'll breathe all the way out and take a real large puff and hold it in my mouth for just a few seconds just to try and ensure that the flavor of the cigar is circulating around all my taste buds so that I might experience the sweetness, bitterness, spicyness, or whatever else I might possess all at the same time.

But what it all boils down to is what would you do? And what are you comfortable with? That's all that truly matters in enjoying a good cigar! There's no rules or guidelines to follow. Experiment, relax, enjoy!
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Since I never smoked Cigarettes, I never had a problem not inhaling the smoke. I almost always never take a breath before I a puff on my cigar, i just don't have any urges to inhale the smoke.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I don't think it really matters... Do you inhale or exhale before you drink through a straw ? All you are doing is filling your mouth with smoke.. Now what you do with it after that point is up to you..
  • kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
    I breathe normally, through my nose as I puff and hold it in my mouth. I will time an exhale through my nose or hold it while I blow the smoke out my mouth.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    man.... i never really thought about this. if i get one in today ill try and pay attention to it.

the fact that im paying attention my just change the outcome.