Home General Discussion

IPCPR convention

ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
The International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association annual convention and trade show is being held here in New Orleans this weekend. It's only open to members in the trade, so I spent the last several days trying to find my 'in'. Found out today that I'll have a floor pass for the trade show! Sweet.

Because of the event, the local shops are having events this week with some big names. Pete Johnson and Jose Seijas will be at my favorite local shop. Unfortunately, I'm supposed to work both of those nights, so I'm still working on how I'm going to attend. I want to get Seijas to sign my Mi Dominicana humidor box, but I really want to meet Pete Johnson, so I'm torn as to which to go to if I can only get away for one.

Anyway, I'm just excited so I wanted to pop in and share.

Comments

• bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    Have a great time! I'd love to attend this event. Grab me a Tat Black if you get a chance!
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Scrambler:
    The International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association annual convention and trade show is being held here in New Orleans this weekend. It's only open to members in the trade, so I spent the last several days trying to find my 'in'. Found out today that I'll have a floor pass for the trade show! Sweet.

Because of the event, the local shops are having events this week with some big names. Pete Johnson and Jose Seijas will be at my favorite local shop. Unfortunately, I'm supposed to work both of those nights, so I'm still working on how I'm going to attend. I want to get Seijas to sign my Mi Dominicana humidor box, but I really want to meet Pete Johnson, so I'm torn as to which to go to if I can only get away for one.

Damn, when I first started reading, I was thinking road trip again this weekend, until I got to the "members in the trade only" part. Have fun Scram, I know I would.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Keep us posted as it happens!!! Sounds fun!
  • andrewhandrewh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    Scrambler:

Are you a native New Orleanian? My girlfriends from there as is her entire family four generations back. My favorite smoke shop there is Dos Jeffes! I love that city.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Scrambler:

Thats AWESOME man! I'd say go meet Pete. He is a hell of a nice guy and he is pretty interesting to talk to. I met him several months ago and he is coming back in October for an event at my favorite local shop. He is supposed to be bringing some of his special Halloween release cigars that only go out to 13 shops nationwide so I'm hoping to get my hands on some of those. Possibly a box split with a buddy of mine. Enjoy the show and keep us posted on how it goes!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Scrambler:

Let us all know what kind of goodies you walk out of there with.
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    I didn't make it to the event on Thursday, but I managed to hit both events on Friday, so I met Pete Johnson and Jose Seijas. I'll post some pics in a little while, once I get them up on photobucket.

Today I went to the convention for a little while, to hear the seminar on legislative action. I missed the CRA seminar because I was on a photo shoot. The trade show opens tomorrow morning, so I'll definitely be there. I'll take my camera.

Andrew, not a native New Orleanian. I moved here 2 years ago this month. This is home now, though. I love the city, so I bought a house and settled in.

Puro, if you score a box of those halloween sticks let me know. I'd love to trade for one.
  • andrewhandrewh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    Scrambler:
    I didn't make it to the event on Thursday, but I managed to hit both events on Friday, so I met Pete Johnson and Jose Seijas. I'll post some pics in a little while, once I get them up on photobucket.

Today I went to the convention for a little while, to hear the seminar on legislative action. I missed the CRA seminar because I was on a photo shoot. The trade show opens tomorrow morning, so I'll definitely be there. I'll take my camera.

Andrew, not a native New Orleanian. I moved here 2 years ago this month. This is home now, though. I love the city, so I bought a house and settled in.

Puro, if you score a box of those halloween sticks let me know. I'd love to trade for one.
    Next time I'm down we'll have to meet up and smoke!
    andrewh:
    Next time I'm down we'll have to meet up and smoke!
    Definitely, just let me know when.

Just got home from the cigar show. The coolest part was being introduced to guys like Paolo Gazaroli of Graycliff, Joe Chuisano of Cusano, and Kevork Garmirian of P.G.

Unfortunately a lot of the companies were only giving samples if you were placing orders for a shop, and some like Fuente and P.G. weren't doing samples at all because Louisiana is charging them the 20% state tobacco tax on all the samples given away.

I did get over 20 cigars, smoked several while I was walking around. I would smoke them long enough to get a feel, then lay them down to light up something else. Here are a few of the bands I remembered to keep.

Here are all the cigars that made it home.

And these are by far the coolest samples I managed to get. A new, not yet named, Graycliff blend. They only brought 240 of these to give away.

I also got a sample of a new Graycliff chocolate. They're working on developing a line of chocolates to pair with cigars. The one I got is 70% cacao, with tobacco flavoring.

I want to head back to the host hotel in a couple hours to check out the hospitality suite, but I have a final exam and a term paper due tomorrow, so it might have to wait for another night. I'm gonna try to go back tomorrow on my lunch break.
    Nice haul and am glad you have fun!!!!

I think it's cool to have smokes that are either exremely rare or a new "Project" that no one else really has!!! SWEET!
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Nice haul Scramz
    Nice Stuff...glad you had a good time.
    I got a phone call yesterday that I had won the drawing for a "Real Men Smoke Cigars" smoking shirt. I went back to the convention center today to claim my prize. I grabbed a Cuban Crafters sample from the next booth to smoke for the picture, then on the way out I got a sampler of new General Cigar products. One of them just has a plain black band with "SAMPLE" in white, it's the new Punch Uppercut. There was also a Brioso and a Le Escepcion, both new labels.

bbc, you've been looking for a Tat Black for months, still haven't gotten your hands on one?
    Scrambler:
    I got a phone call yesterday that I had won the drawing for a "Real Men Smoke Cigars" smoking shirt. I went back to the convention center today to claim my prize. I grabbed a Cuban Crafters sample from the next booth to smoke for the picture, then on the way out I got a sampler of new General Cigar products. One of them just has a plain black band with "SAMPLE" in white, it's the new Punch Uppercut. There was also a Brioso and a Le Escepcion, both new labels.

bbc, you've been looking for a Tat Black for months, still haven't gotten your hands on one?
    nope...that's the way it goes...I've had lots of tats in the past months, but can't get my hands on a black.
    Send me your address again. I'll hook you up.
    Scrambler:
    PM on its way....can't tell you what this means Nate EDIT (real name Josh)...you're top notch in my book
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    bbc020:
    Scrambler:
    PM on its way....can't tell you what this means Nate...you're top notch in my book
    Dang Brandon...you could start by calling Josh by the right name. :D
    j0z3r:
    bbc020:
    Scrambler:
    PM on its way....can't tell you what this means Nate...you're top notch in my book
    dang..it is Josh...don't know where Nate came from...I can even remember his last name but couldn't pull out his first for the life of me

My apologies Josh...you're still top notch in my book...even though I have the wrong name listed...JK
    bbc020:
    j0z3r:
    bbc020:
    Scrambler:
    dang..it is Josh...don't know where Nate came from...I can even remember his last name but couldn't pull out his first for the life of me

My apologies Josh...you're still top notch in my book...even though I have the wrong name listed...JK
    I know what happened....you saw Lassy posting and instantly an image of a Miller Lite can with the name "Nate" hovering above it came into mind and out of the keyboard. :)
    j0z3r:
    bbc020:
    j0z3r:
    bbc020:
    Scrambler:

I know what happened....you saw Lassy posting and instantly an image of a Miller Lite can with the name "Nate" hovering above it came into mind and out of the keyboard. :)
    Hmmm...can't blame this on anything other than my lack of memory...I can't tie Lassy to the whipping post for this one
    bbc020:
    j0z3r:
    bbc020:
    j0z3r:
    bbc020:
    Scrambler:

Hmmm...can't blame this on anything other than my lack of memory...I can't tie Lassy to the whipping post for this one
    Well, if you won't, then I will. Come here Lassy, time for your whuppin'.

It's all good man, I just had to give you a hard time, you know. We all make little mistakes...though I think he should divert that Tat Black my way since at least I can remember his name. :)
    bbc020:
    Damn, I know I haven't been around much lately, but...

j0z3r:
    We all make little mistakes...though I think he should divert that Tat Black my way since at least I can remember his name. :)
    I dunno, I've heard some bad things about you lately. I don't know if you could really appreciate such a nice cigar. (lol)
    Scrambler:
    j0z3r:
    We all make little mistakes...though I think he should divert that Tat Black my way since at least I can remember his name. :)
    I dunno, I've heard some bad things about you lately. I don't know if you could really appreciate such a nice cigar. (lol)
    Yeah... A watermelon White Owl would probably be more fitting.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Scramz, I'm in NOLA for 6 fricking weeks and the week I leave you hit this jackpot.

I don't believe I've mentioned this before but ol' Josh is helluva bbq-er. I do believe I ate some of the best pulled pork I've ever eaten in my life at his house.
    Did somebody say I'm getting whipped???