Home General Discussion

Cigars are Cracking

2»

Comments

• Chips2481Chips2481 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 49
    I had the same issue when I got my humi last summer.  The cigars would dry and wouldn't draw well from cracks or whatever was causing it.  I seasoned it but the standard humidifier wasn't enough, it would drop to 60 a few days after seasoning.  I bought a electronic humidifier, best $100 you can spend.  Seasoning is easy just wet down all wood in the humidor with distilled water then leave a bowl of water in it for a day.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Chips2481:
    I had the same issue when I got my humi last summer.  The cigars would dry and wouldn't draw well from cracks or whatever was causing it.  I seasoned it but the standard humidifier wasn't enough, it would drop to 60 a few days after seasoning.  I bought a electronic humidifier, best $100 you can spend.  Seasoning is easy just wet down all wood in the humidor with distilled water then leave a bowl of water in it for a day.
    If it is dropping in rh, either the seal is bad or the humidor was not seasoned properly/for long enough. In my experience it takes more tha a day or two to season a humidor.

Not sure how big your humidor is, but electronic (active) humidifiers are usually only neccessary for really large cabinents. Although, if it works for you, that is good enough!!

As mentioned before, cracking wrappers can be caused by numerous things , but over humidification is most common, in my opinion. Definitely want to make sure your hygros are reading correctly to rule this out.

Glad youre having good luck with the active humidification, id like to see the setup you have with it!