Home General Discussion

Something new for Bio

VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
I check the "What are you smoking....." threads daily. Some people put their thoughts down and some just the stick they smoked. I am going to try something new and see if it could catch on. I am putting in my Bio a month by month list of what I am smoking with just a little info. If people check it out they can PM me with questions on the sticks. I like reading more then posting of late and figured it would be fun to see how this goes. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Good idea Pete! You going to do a mini review of sorts? And post it in the bio? Sounds good!!
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    To each their own but I think the beauty of a forum is the open discussion. If you are having them PM you it loses that.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    madurofan:
    To each their own but I think the beauty of a forum is the open discussion. If you are having them PM you it loses that.
    i agree with this statement. however, there is one line in there that kinda hit home for me:
    Vision:
    I like reading more then posting of late ...
    i know it loses some of the beauty of the forum with this attitude, but i feel the same way. i read way more than i post anymore.

it may just be because i dont have as much to say as i used to or because in a forum situation it is hard to find the information im looking for. it may just be that a forum promotes opinions more so than information, and i know what my opinions are.
    this is not to say that opinions are not valuable but personally im not looking for opinions anymore.

maybe im just rambling on here.
    i guess i just understand the thought behind this thread/idea.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    kuzi16:
    i guess i just understand the thought behind this thread/idea.
    Oh no, don't misunderstand, I like the idea here just not sure about the PM part. If someone has a question they can create a new thread or something.
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    Oh yea... I never said it was only for PMing.... it was just a thought... just spit-balling. I just dont have time to sit and write out a full review is all.

About the reading part.... I know everyone sees a post from Kuzi or Rip and has to check it out.... They are outstanding reads......and honestly... what is a shlub like me going to add really? Kuzi.... you said it perfectly..... I guess I am not looking for opinions, but now I am looking to form my own. This might sound weird.... Im not looking for opinions anymore.... I am now seeking ideas and knowledge.

And I know about 99% of you will agree with this statement.... How many times have you been with someone and said "This guy on my forum says to try......(this or that)" and you were talking about Kuzi or Rip.... to someone who isnt even on the forum....
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    Vision:
    what is a shlub like me going to add really?

Another opinion that everyone will read. You don't have to be able to pull a bunch of flavors or be the second coming of Hemingway to write a review. I have caveman-ish taste buds which only detect yuck, meh, and MMMMMMMMMMM.
    bbass2:
    Vision:

Another opinion that everyone will read. You don't have to be able to pull a bunch of flavors or be the second coming of Hemingway to write a review. I have caveman-ish taste buds which only detect yuck, meh, and MMMMMMMMMMM.
    Agreed.
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    I worded that kinda odd, but it wasn't meant to be negative. Write up the reviews and throw them out there. You will get more people looking at it on the forum than in your Bio.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    bbass2:
    I worded that kinda odd, but it wasn't meant to be negative. Write up the reviews and throw them out there. You will get more people looking at it on the forum than in your Bio.
    i agree with that vision. Sometimes more basic reviews are better for the newbs. I appreciate the wordy reviews when i am trying to figure out what that flavor is that i am tasting, but the ones that just give a good idea of what the cigar is like and maybe even give similar cigars to that one's flavor profile would be great. No need to get all crazy.
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    Vision:
    bbass2:
    Vision:

Agreed.
    That wasnt very nice, agreeing that Ben has 'Caveman-ish' taste buds!~ ;) (Remember, i can call my mom fat, but dont you!)

Seriously, though, the beauty of this style of forum is that anyone can and does post whatever they want. I would highly encourage anyone to post what they feel adds to the forum and is in their comfort zone of descrptions. People can and will choose to read and comment if they feel so moved.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Vision:
    bbass2:
    Vision:

Agreed.
    Agreed agreed. To me, they all taste of wood and leather...some just have better wood then others ;) If you can taste mushrooms grown on the north side of a hill, cool...but I sure as heck can't.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    When I have thought of doing a review I will think, what does this taste like and the first thought that almost always comes to mind is "tobacco".
    I think the point is sort of being missed. Its that I don't have the time anymore to write a full review or even at times more then a thought.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Vision:
    I think the point is sort of being missed. Its that I don't have the time anymore to write a full review or even at times more then a thought.
    I think the point is we all respect whatever decision you make! This is pretty much what I do anyways. If I have a question, I search. If I don't find an answer I like, I start a thread. In this case, I would just PM you.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Roberto99:
    When I have thought of doing a review I will think, what does this taste like and the first thought that almost always comes to mind is "tobacco".
    amazing.

the real question isnt so much "what does it taste like?" rather "do i like it?"

once you determine if you like it or not the follow up question is "why?"

the "why?" is the difficult part.
    but the important part is if you like it or not.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Vision:
    I am putting in my Bio a month by month list of what I am smoking with just a little info. If people check it out they can PM me with questions on the sticks. I like reading more then posting of late and figured it would be fun to see how this goes. Thanks for reading.
    I think this is a neat idea, Peter.
    If nothing else, it will give you a great way to keep track of what you've had and whether or not you liked it .... I can't keep track of all the cigars I've smoked, let alone if I liked them or not ....

I tried to do something similar last summer with a online word document
    I would post every time I smoked -- no matter if it was a new release or an old favorite -- I'd usually include a short 1 or 2 sentence description and at the very end I'd have:
    "Would I smoke this again: Yes/No"

It helped me begin to figure out what I liked and didn't like, and to see a pattern with wrappers/fillers/country of origin/etc. --- but, for some reason, as summer ended and the weather got cooler I stopped keeping track and went back to relying on my memory.

I should start keeping track again, because it really did make me pay closer attention to flavor/aroma/etc. --- I like your idea of posting it in your bio, if I start keeping track I might consider doing the same if you don't mind.

kuzi16:
    once you determine if you like it or not the follow up question is "why?"

the "why?" is the difficult part.
    +1
    And (IMHO) it's nearly impossible to answer this question unless you're keeping track of what you smoked and taking notes, even if it's only a few short sentences and "would I smoke this again: yes/no".
    If you keep tabs on what you're smoking, you'll start to notice patterns, and be able to fill in the blanks....
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    jgibv:
    I tried to do something similar last summer with a online word document
    I would post every time I smoked -- no matter if it was a new release or an old favorite -- I'd usually include a short 1 or 2 sentence description and at the very end I'd have:
    "Would I smoke this again: Yes/No"

this is a great idea. i need to start doing this. I have the stogie rate app that i could do it in and it exports out into a excel spreadsheet.