Home General Discussion

Dry cigars in humidor with 65% humidity

jfacianejfaciane Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 242
Hello everyone. I've come across an issue I noticed on a couple of cigars. Every now and then I go into my humi, look around for a stogie, and I get one on the bottom shelf that's buried and it seems a little dry. I rotated them today in case that's the issue, them being on the bottom. Is it possible that some cigars don't get the humidity they need if they are buried or on the bottoms shelf of the humi? FYI, I have my beads on the bottom of the humi, in the far left corner and my hygrometer on the top shelf. It's a 300ct humi. Any advice or suggestions?

Comments

• AVJimAVJim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 438
    jfaciane:
    Hello everyone. I've come across an issue I noticed on a couple of cigars. Every now and then I go into my humi, look around for a stogie, and I get one on the bottom shelf that's buried and it seems a little dry. I rotated them today in case that's the issue, them being on the bottom. Is it possible that some cigars don't get the humidity they need if they are buried or on the bottoms shelf of the humi? FYI, I have my beads on the bottom of the humi, in the far left corner and my hygrometer on the top shelf. It's a 300ct humi. Any advice or suggestions?
    To avoid this problem, I rotate every two weeks (at the most). I have also found that taking the cellophane off can help keep them healthy in the humi for long term storage. I hope my OPINIONS help.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    I use tubos filled with KL throughout my humi for dispersement. I haven't had any issues other then in my wineador, because I store in boxes.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Like Cat said, tubes, or any kind of container, dispersed around the humi is the best way to go. You don't really need that much, but more helps keep an even, stable rh. I am fond of beads (or unscented silica kitty litter) in pantyhose, tied at the end to make a mesh "baggie."
  • jfacianejfaciane Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 242
    Ok. Thanks for the replies everyone. I started yesterday, rotating my sticks and moved my beads got eh center of my humi. I'll have to check on them in a few weeks to see if they're any dry ones and go from there.
  • crazystixcrazystix Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 25
    I use Boveda packets and put packets on every level of each humidor. Never had any issue whatsoever with the Boveda packs maintaining proper humidity throughout each humidor/coolidor.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Ill use crystal/beads at the top boveda at the bottom...but in my winadors I use fans
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    First of all is your hygro tested? Secondly if your humi is a 300 count type then you probably need 2 types of media...one at the bottom and one at the top. Will rotation help....yes, a little but not what you think. RH tends to work in an environment that is enclosed without leaks....if your cigars are piled together too closely then that can also restrict RH in some cases. In a 300 count humidor you should have at least 230 cigars in there but try not to fill it up...you need the excess room available to let the air circulate. If you want to use KL then don't put it in those mesh baggies...that only lets a small amount of the KL to work. You need as much surface area of the KL to be exposed and that means using something that is big enough...like a tupperware container that is 1x3x5 and then spritz the top with DW...that will let more surface area of the KL do it's job.