Home General Discussion

Cigar Journal mishap and experiment

bluezulubluezulu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 108
Enjoying this beautiful day in South Georgia and I decided to take on a task I had been putting off. I had been using an Android app to keep up with my cigars and unfortunately as I changed phones for some reason my data would not transfer over. My old phone was toast but I still had 50% of my cigar notes saved in an excel spreadsheet from the phone app. Anyway a 6 year hobby and memories of it would be half complete. I was able to input the data from some of the cigars I have enjoyed to the new program but some journaling of some sticks is lost. I save cigar bands. I have over 200 of them and to my delight I found by just picking up the cigar bands like an idiot savant I could recall taste, smoke, burn and my experience with the cigar! One fascinating part of this exercise was that I notice that the Cigar bands themselves very accurately depicts my experience with the cigar. An example would be the MOW Virtue line. Not one of my favorite sticks but because I like a fuller cigar. The White band devoid of color accurately (in my view) captures a decent cigar (even burn, decent taste) but without the punch I enjoy. While one of the best cigars I ever had the MOW Armada line (fuller taste, coco hints) band demonstrates the contrast compared to each other. Anyway I wonder if someone could try this exercise to see if they could match me experiment. Pick up a cigar band and see if by looking at it, you can translate it to your cigar experience with my cigar. What is proves....I don't know but maybe it hints at a truth in advertising with the cigar manufactures?

Comments

• camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    2 things:
    First, I agree with you. I can pick up a cigar band from something I forgot I even smoked and somehow remember why I'm not still smoking that brand/cigar.
    Second, I'm sorry you lost half of your notes. That is a shame. So here goes my shameless plug;
    I am working on a "Personal Cigar Humidor and Inventory" system. First started off as an Android app, but here's the twist... I am making it a web-based app that can be used on anything that has browser support; Android, IPhone, tablets and PC's, Mac.. whatever you use as long as it has Internet will be able to register, log in, update cigar data like Brand, Size, Wrapper, quantity, Tasting notes and eventually maybe even handle reviews...and it won't matter what device or operating system you have. Some of the BOTL here have beta tested the app (the only working parts for now are registration, login and resizing of the site to fit your device screen width) but it's coming along nicely. I hope to have the second round of Beta testing within the next 2 weeks.
    This would solve the problem of lost data because it would be on a website database, not local to your phone/tablet.
    Anyone who wants in on Beta testing just shoot me a PM and I will get back to you as soon as the next round of testing is ready to go.

• Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    I think that is really cool that you can recall your memories from the bands. Is it memory association? Do you recall having those thoughts about the bands when you smoked them? Either way, sounds like a great talent to develop!
  • bluezulubluezulu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 108
    I believe this is so needed. I believe my ability to recall the epistemological experience from the cigar band is a combination of having considered the experience before and logging it and as I mentioned I think the cigar band actually gives a sort of advertisement of the cigar so it was easier. Some one who collects bands should try it and let me know if it was just me. I believe that if someone keeps up with there cigar experience they may be able to do the same thing. If not I may be a lol idiot savant with cigar experiences.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    When I first started smoking cigars about 3 years ago, saving cigar bands was my way of remembering what I liked! I thought it would be easier than taking notes! So I can definitely relate, although I ended up never looking at the bands and just saved bags and bags like a hoarder. Lol!
  • jfacianejfaciane Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 242
    camgfs:
    2 things:
    First, I agree with you. I can pick up a cigar band from something I forgot I even smoked and somehow remember why I'm not still smoking that brand/cigar.
    Second, I'm sorry you lost half of your notes. That is a shame. So here goes my shameless plug;
    I am working on a "Personal Cigar Humidor and Inventory" system. First started off as an Android app, but here's the twist... I am making it a web-based app that can be used on anything that has browser support; Android, IPhone, tablets and PC's, Mac.. whatever you use as long as it has Internet will be able to register, log in, update cigar data like Brand, Size, Wrapper, quantity, Tasting notes and eventually maybe even handle reviews...and it won't matter what device or operating system you have. Some of the BOTL here have beta tested the app (the only working parts for now are registration, login and resizing of the site to fit your device screen width) but it's coming along nicely. I hope to have the second round of Beta testing within the next 2 weeks.
    This would solve the problem of lost data because it would be on a website database, not local to your phone/tablet.
    Anyone who wants in on Beta testing just shoot me a PM and I will get back to you as soon as the next round of testing is ready to go.

Dude! I, we need this app ASAP! Everything you mentioned is what I've been talking about having for note taking in a app. I can't wait to see your finished product. Be sure to let us know when it's open for public use will ya?