Home Non Cigar Related

Dr Who

kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
my wife has been watching an episode here and there as she can and she is really enjoying it. i want to buy her some of the series on blu-ray but since it has been on since 1963 im not sure where to start. anyone watch the show enough to help?

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    I was a big early fan and got hooked on it when Jon Pertwee Played Dr. Who (early '70s). My wife actually likes the more recent stuff with David Tennant. I think most of the earlier episodes ('63 - '68) were lost. If you are a sic-fi fan, and can get past the cheesy British special effects, its good entertainment.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    beatnic:
    My wife actually likes the more recent stuff with David Tennant.
    +1 --- same with my wife.

She really got into the series a year or so ago and has been watching the episodes with David Tennant as the Doctor. I'd say that's a good place to start, Kuzi.
    Tennant left the show in 2010(? 2011?) and the Doctor is now played by Matt Smith. Those might be worth getting too.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i think ill start with the matt smith years because i think those are the ones she has seen. thanks for the help.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    While I am not a fan of the series, my daughter is a BIG fan. She suggested starting with the ninth Doctor. Chris Eccleston, and continuing from there, through the most recent Matt Smith. Starting in the most recent series (matt smith ) does not offer the most entertainment.
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 181
    I started with Pertwee and watched thru to Colin Baker. I've heard the new series is good too, but still have a lot of catching up to do.

It requires a health amount of suspension of disbelief, but the older episodes are fantastic, although, I watched a lot of Tom Baker as a kid and gravitate towards 70's and 80's stuff already.
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    When I was a kid I watched the Pertree episodes for awhile until I turned 13 and grew out of it. Most Dr. Who fans tend to think the Tom Baker era was the best. However, the show has been on so long and has had so many different spinoffs and specials that you could spend your entire retirement nest egg amassing the entire series.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    yeah... i clearly dont wanna do that. im not into it that much. the wife can spend her money on the rest of the series. i wanna spend my part of the budget on cigars.