Home Non Cigar Related

17 grand gets you....

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
Updated deck! I bought a house in Jan, and though I really love it. some work needs to be done. I have a 162 sq foot deck that needs new boards as the one's on there are pretty bad and there needs to be a new railing system put in as they are not up to code and I don't want my sheltie falling down. So I had a local place come out and they did an estimate and with some good vinyl boards the thing will be around 17000. Though that was an estimate and there are different types so 15000, to 17000. Needless to say I am amazed. I am in hell, I tell ya. Taxes hit me hard this year and now I need to wait on my deck. sucks big time.

On top of that there are other things we need to do, like putting on a game room off of our dining room (currently there is a sliding door, want to put french doors in), and remodel our master and bath. But holly cow I wasn't expecting the deck remodel to be so much. I could go with cedar but I really don't want to treat it every couple of years.

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    YEAAHHHH ---- those plastic boards are expensive but no maintenance is nice. 17k seems quite high though....

You get any other quotes???
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    jgibv:
    YEAAHHHH ---- those plastic boards are expensive but no maintenance is nice. 17k seems quite high though....

Yeah, I'm no contractor...but 17K seems REALLY high.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 843
    Rain:
    jgibv:

Yeah, I'm no contractor...but 17K seems REALLY high.
    I got a quote about 6 years ago on getting my deck rebuilt using the composite boards. It cost around $6000. I'm not sure of the size of my deck but it isn't small. I decided to replace everything myself, in pieces, over a couple of years. I didn't go with composite. I did wood and even though I have to retreat it every couple of years it still saved me over $3000. The base is/was structually sound so it was all cosmetic work. I didn't even have to buy the permits. If I was you I would get 1-2 more quotes.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Do the deck yourself. It's easy, and summer is on the way. Nice way to fool around outside.
  • prosspross Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    Lemme guess. Azek? Stuff is ridiculously expensive and I am not sold on it for decks. Anything oily can stain it terribly (suntan lotion, grill grease, etc) . Fading can be an issue (actually oxidation). Love it for trim, beware for decks. JMHO.

• Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    Not sure of the product they were going to use either but a recommendation I was given when I was looking into a new deck was to stay away from the composite/vinyl boards. I was told that once they scratch up and start looking bad (and they will) the only choice is to replace the boards.

We use treated lumber up here more than anything. Not quite as pretty as cedar but will last as long. If you like the look and it goes with your house, redwood is great, it lasts forever.

I decided it was too expensive to do the deck with the vinyl and there would be upkeep issues either way so I went pressure treated. My figures could be out of date but a 10x16 deck shouldn't cost over 5k all totaled, less if you can do it yourself. 2 guys can do a deck that size including the railing in a couple of days.

I agree about it being a pain to resurface the deck every 2-3 years, I'd rather not do that work either but we get a deck that looks like new every 2-3 years.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    phobicsquirrel:
    Updated deck! I bought a house in Jan, and though I really love it. some work needs to be done. I have a 162 sq foot deck that needs new boards as the one's on there are pretty bad and there needs to be a new railing system put in as they are not up to code and I don't want my sheltie falling down. So I had a local place come out and they did an estimate and with some good vinyl boards the thing will be around 17000. Though that was an estimate and there are different types so 15000, to 17000. Needless to say I am amazed. I am in hell, I tell ya. Taxes hit me hard this year and now I need to wait on my deck. sucks big time.

On top of that there are other things we need to do, like putting on a game room off of our dining room (currently there is a sliding door, want to put french doors in), and remodel our master and bath. But holly cow I wasn't expecting the deck remodel to be so much. I could go with cedar but I really don't want to treat it every couple of years.
    It's simple. Don't use the composite materials. They are way overpriced, and are creating debt for profit. There is no reason you can't use traditional treated lumber instead, with significant savings. Better still, do it yourself, and save even more.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    pross:
    Lemme guess. Azek? Stuff is ridiculously expensive and I am not sold on it for decks. Anything oily can stain it terribly (suntan lotion, grill grease, etc) . Fading can be an issue (actually oxidation). Love it for trim, beware for decks. JMHO.

Yeah that was the stuff. There was another type that was the same thing but only had two colors we were thinking on doing, had more of grain look to it.

The price was a bit high but I know very little about this sort of stuff. I know that there needs to be some work on the structure as the spacing isn't correct and of course we don't want to fall through and all that jazz. In the NW composite is horrible, so it would have to be vynl. Though a treated type wood might be fine I just don't want to be staining it all the damn time. The railings that we were looking at are cedar posts with black metal spacers which looks really nice and it's really easy to see. I was going to look at another company as well.
    The company we had come out is a good one and they stand by their work. I'm hoping I can get a lower bid. Of course 17g's was an high estimate with the Azek and not the other stuff that is like it but with less color choice. I'm thinking that after the numbers are all crunched it may be around 15. Then we have an upper deck off of our bedroom that needs to be done but we thought we would wait on that.

Of course I would love to do it myself though I have no friends that do stuff like this and I would be lost and really I just don't have the time to do it. Now I was just thinking, if one was to stain a deck but then use some sort of polyurethane would that be a good way to seal it? I know I have used that stuff before for things and it really did a good job at keeping the elements at bay.
  • prosspross Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    The quote actually is not outrageous. The price of the material is. Most man made / composite products have been introduced to great fanfare, and one the flaws were exposed, abandoned for newer "better" products. Azek is just the latest in a the line.

I was over a friends yesterday who has a new Azek deck, and he was flipping out at his son for shoveling snow off of it, because it may scratch. He is a general contractor who installs this product. Personally I would never use a decking I had to worry about daily, but that's just me.

I like mahogany myself. Some Austrailian timber oil every couple of years and it looks new for not a lot of work. Sealants, like poly are no good on decking. It's the sun that damages the finish far more than the rain. The natural oils in the wood will want to throw the polyurethane right off, causing a mess.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    pross:
    The quote actually is not outrageous. The price of the material is. Most man made / composite products have been introduced to great fanfare, and one the flaws were exposed, abandoned for newer "better" products. Azek is just the latest in a the line.

I was over a friends yesterday who has a new Azek deck, and he was flipping out at his son for shoveling snow off of it, because it may scratch. He is a general contractor who installs this product. Personally I would never use a decking I had to worry about daily, but that's just me.

I like mahogany myself. Some Austrailian timber oil every couple of years and it looks new for not a lot of work. Sealants, like poly are no good on decking. It's the sun that damages the finish far more than the rain. The natural oils in the wood will want to throw the polyurethane right off, causing a mess.
    +++, especially regarding the cost of these new decking materials, having to "baby" the deck, and the warning not to use poly on decking material.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Good to know about the azek.