Home General Discussion

How do you choose what to smoke?

sol1821sol1821 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 706

Just buy whatever you fancy at the time?

At the moment I can’t decide what to smoke, everything in the humi is either really expensive so I want to save it for special occasions, really tasty so again want to save it for when I fancy something special. Or somthing that i dont like that much so don’t fancy smoking it. Just cant chooseL

Comments

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    When I am not sure what to smoke...ie when I don't want to smoke anything that was expensive, but yet I want have a tasty smoke, I usually pick one of my Segundos.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I just toss a dart at the open humidor. :)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    sol1821:

Just buy whatever you fancy at the time?

At the moment I can’t decide what to smoke, everything in the humi is either really expensive so I want to save it for special occasions, really tasty so again want to save it for when I fancy something special. Or somthing that i dont like that much so don’t fancy smoking it. Just cant chooseL

cigars are meant to be smoked. I used to be like that. i would smoke whatever i could find on sale that i thought was good enough. then i would buy "special" sticks. I found myself limiting myself a lot. i would go out of my way to seek out special cigars; the GoFs, OpusX, Preferido, Pueblo Dominicanas, 100 anos, centurians, etc... just to hold onto them.
    yea i would smoke the cheaper sticks and some of them i still do like, but i found myself smoking many things that were "just OK"

finally i reached a point there my humidor was full. whatever i had to put in there had to be good. now, years later, only good stuff that in the past i would have considered "special" smokes are in there. If i was to write down a list of every cigar in my humidor the cigar with the most entries would be OpusX followed by Oliva Serie V, Gurkha Centurian and legend, and then probably camacho diploma maduro. I do have a ton of singles that i got is passes, trades, deals, and contests. i dont smoke every day, so when i do, damnit i better like it.

how do i pick from this selection? first it has to be in my smoking humidor. i never pick out of the aging humidor. I usually walk up to the humidor knowing what body smoke im after. from there its just whatever catches my attention. sometimes ill set things on top in the humidor just so they DO catch my attention. like this week i have resting on top: 5 Vegas Relic, La Aurora Barrel aged, RP spring, RP summer, OpusX xXx, Camacho connecticut, Partagas black, Carlos Torano casa Torano, Camacho Diploma Maduro.

i am 100% sure one of those will be smokes over the next day or so.

most likely: 5 vegas relic

least likely: camacho connecticut.

but i wont know until the moment i open the humidor.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I am I am at that point now, my humi is now full with the addition of this weekend's blitz. I need to start smoking my 'special" sticks and start moving some inventory!
  • 4bob44bob4 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 212
    I usually base it off how much time I have to smoke and what I'm in the mood for. I try not to have too many "special" sticks to avoid getting into the predicament you're in. (he says to divert the attention from not having money for a bunch of "special sticks" ;) )
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    4bob4:
    I try not to have too many "special" sticks to avoid getting into the predicament you're in.
    smoking only the best is not a "predicament"
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    I only order boxes of what I like (and onyl have about 3 kinds of cigars ATM), and only singles of what I want to try out. So when I open my humidor, it's simply a question of
    1) Do I want to try something new?
    2) Do I want to smoke something I know I'll enjoy
  • blustar4lifeblustar4life Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 36
    I base it mostly on what looks/sounds good at the time. Right now I am still in the experimental stages so i have a lot of variety to choose from.
  • jeff_connorsjeff_connors Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 483
    First I consider what I have had in the humidor the longest. Im still tring to sample every cigar on the market so right now the excitement of something new is really what I go for. I have some stock of boxes that I have bough in the past, but they get neglected for the thrill of something new. I will browse the net reading reviews while setting the cigars that "sound" good aside in my "too smoke" humidor. Finally when the moment of judgment comes I will give a few wrapper's a wiff if it smells like what im in the mood for, I go for it.
    If im going away from home or cannot pay full attention to what Im going to smoke I will chose an "old faithful" cigar out of my box stock.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I'm trying to force myself to give a cigar a year before I smoke it (Basically for I'm finding allot of cigars are really good at this point, AND it is forcing me to smoke some primo sticks for right now I only have about 8 cigars that are a year old and they are all the ones that I've always passed over for the same reason you are passing over your expensive cigars
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I try samplers, find one I like, and get a couple more. If I really like it, I get a lot more. I tried the Gurkha micro batch S-2's and really liked them, bought 5 boxes. I tried the Graycliff 1666 presidente, really liked it, then bought 5 mazos. Like the A. Fernandez sigs (robusto), have 4 boxes, plus a whole lotta flight samplers, lol... There's a few more I really like that I have not bought multiple boxes of them yet, but it's coming. It's the only way I can age them is to have a whole bunch of them since i really like to smoke them.

If I just kinda like them, I might just buy a few at a time, or maybe just one box. Also, if I really like them and they are not cheap, I just buy one box or so.

If I get some that are not so great, daily deals and such, I'll let those sit and age a bit to see if they get better or not which allows me to make a decision whether or not to keep them, or trade them off.

I had a Sol Cubano Artisan, loved the look of it, HATED the taste of it. That being said, I still might buy a box of them just because they are pretty, lol...Plus I can give them away with no regrets.

I like to smoke and dring coffee, but some cigars just taste like dog rockets when paired with coffee (la Herencia Cubana), While others are really pleasant, graycliff 1666, Ashton VSG, and a few others.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    cabinetmaker:
    I try samplers, find one I like, and get a couple more. If I really like it, I get a lot more. I tried the Gurkha micro batch S-2's and really liked them, bought 5 boxes. I tried the Graycliff 1666 presidente, really liked it, then bought 5 mazos. Like the A. Fernandez sigs (robusto), have 4 boxes, plus a whole lotta flight samplers, lol... There's a few more I really like that I have not bought multiple boxes of them yet, but it's coming. It's the only way I can age them is to have a whole bunch of them since i really like to smoke them.

If I just kinda like them, I might just buy a few at a time, or maybe just one box. Also, if I really like them and they are not cheap, I just buy one box or so.

If I get some that are not so great, daily deals and such, I'll let those sit and age a bit to see if they get better or not which allows me to make a decision whether or not to keep them, or trade them off.

I had a Sol Cubano Artisan, loved the look of it, HATED the taste of it. That being said, I still might buy a box of them just because they are pretty, lol...Plus I can give them away with no regrets.

I like to smoke and dring coffee, but some cigars just taste like dog rockets when paired with coffee (la Herencia Cubana), While others are really pleasant, graycliff 1666, Ashton VSG, and a few others.
    If you buy a box of the Artisans, look for the 5 for $25 deal. Save yourself some money!!!!!!!
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    rwheelwright:
    cabinetmaker:

If you buy a box of the Artisans, look for the 5 for $25 deal. Save yourself some money!!!!!!!
    Yea! Thanks, I actually didn't even think of that.. That woulda sucked, bought a box then see them as the daily deal the next day, lol
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    I have two humidors with trays on the top. Those trays have smokes that I'm planning on taking out. I rotate all my cigars when I run out on top, and put the new ones I want to smoke up there.
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    I get bored with the same thing every time, so I like samplers, and five packs. I also buy singles at the local B & M for new stuff I want to try. I always have my box of Torano Exodus 1959 to fall back on. It's kinda like dating, sometimes you get a dog, but most are ok. They have a Ghurka event Saturday that I am excited about.